Fly Tying Storage Solution

Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Fly Tying Storage Solution

Post by Aggroman »

I decided a while ago to get back to fly tying. I bought a new Peak Vise last month and have been tying up a frenzy. My main problem has been a place to tie and something to put all my stuff in. I don't have a good place for a permanent station, so I improvised. I have a 5 foot folding table I bought from Sam's that slides perfectly under the couch and out of view when not being used. And after a ton of searching for something usable, I found the Plano 7771 tackle box. It has a ton of storage, lots of compartments for the materials I use the most, and very portable. I have only been tying clousers, wooly buggers, wooly worms, black ghosts, and similar flies, so this gives me all the space I need for now. I'm about to start poppers, so i'm sure I will need more storage space, but for now it works great. It can sit on the table along with the vise and still have plenty of room to move and find things easily. I also have the Renzetti Tool Caddy II that fits on top the deer tails when i'm finished tying for the night.

I have another box full of tails in the closet, so I can replenish when I start running out of a particular color.

Hooks and hackle

The very top has a great spot for flash.

The side compartment fits all my tools as well as chenille and small boxes.

I found these little storage boxes at Hobby Lobby to put my beads, cones, and eyes in.

I really don't like the setup for my hooks, but it works until I think of something else. I always put the i.d. tags in with them so I can remember the product number and sizes for ease in reordering.

Marabou and things get their own side compartment up front.

Anyway, just thought I might share what I did for those who have similar space issues and don't have a full on fly tying station or just starting out in the tying world. And if I ever get to a point where I have a dedicated spot, i'll have a nice box to use for fishing.

Scott
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fly Tying Storage Solution

Post by karstopo »

Very nice. I like the part with the spools of line and wire. I'm a raw beginner at tying ( and it shows in my flies) and have been working on organization of my materials. The little boxes that you have for eyes and beads are nice too.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

karstopo wrote:Very nice. I like the part with the spools of line and wire. I'm a raw beginner at tying ( and it shows in my flies) and have been working on organization of my materials. The little boxes that you have for eyes and beads are nice too.
Thanks, the spool container was from Hobby Lobby as well, about 3 bucks I think. The small containers were off a spindle I got there for 5.99.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Throttlehead250 »

that is slick!! I need to do something similar, right now im using the shoebox method and its horrible...
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

I've got too darn much "stuff' for one tackel box. I need an entire room. Container store has been my go to for storage emplements. Lots of plastic and wooden compartmental boxes and such at very moderate prices.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Throttlehead250 wrote:that is slick!! I need to do something similar, right now im using the shoebox method and its horrible...
Yep, did the cardboard box method for a number of years. But this time, starting back again, I wanted to make things easier on me. Less hassle means i'll do it more. There are a bunch of different ones similar to mine that are a bit cheaper, but I figured go big and portable.
Kayak Kid wrote:I've got too darn much "stuff' for one tackel box. I need an entire room. Container store has been my go to for storage emplements. Lots of plastic and wooden compartmental boxes and such at very moderate prices.
:lol: I know this is only the beginning and a quick fix. I have more I leave in boxes until I need them. I figured this will also travel well. But yeah, eventually I will need to have a plan B and C and D etc... :D
Roofish
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Roofish »

I have a Peak as well Love it, I'll be surprised if you can keep that neat :lol:
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Roofish wrote:I have a Peak as well Love it, I'll be surprised if you can keep that neat :lol:
That's why I took pictures a quick as I could...see, nice and organized, look quick, it won't last. :lol:
morgangler

Post by morgangler »

Nice setup, Scott! I just hope that tying your own isn't keeping you off the water. I KNOW it's not a rainy day project. :roll: