What did you tie today?

SMALLeFisher

Re: What did you tie today?

Post by SMALLeFisher »

elnaco wrote:All these shrimp flies I've been seeing on here made me want to tie some up.

Smartt's Shrimp

Craft Fur Shrimp

Peterson Shrimp. Pretty excited about using this one on tailers. The rabbit hair has some really cool movement when the fly is sitting still

EP Shrimp

I saw some earlier discussions on hook riding up or down and if bead chain eyes are enough to make it ride hook point up or not. In my experience it just depends on the fly and the hook, but what you can do is get creative with how you trim your material. In the case of the EP shrimp above, I had to trim the material on the bottom of the fly down and leave more material in the hook gap to make it ride hook up the way I wanted it to. You can see with the Peterson shrimp that I bent the hook shank to ensure it rode hook up but I don't think that was necessary. The way it's tide the rabbit hair should act like a wing and make it ride with the hook up.
Holy crap that Peterson shrimp looks amazing! I agree, that is the ticket for active fish, big ole' chunk. There arent enough shrimp patterns with mass like that. I am going to get busy on those, thanks for the inspiration! :mrgreen:
ATXflyguy83

Post by ATXflyguy83 »

Hit up some tying today. I even tried my hand a Turk's Tarantula. It didn't come out perfectly but I'm satisfied. I can never get legs to do what I want them to do. I love fishing that pattern though and I'm glad I no longer have to purchase that fly.
Attachments
20160512_094012-01.jpeg
20160512_094141-01.jpeg
NativeSon

Post by NativeSon »

jeff89 wrote:A variation of Jonny King's kinky muddler. T-Minus 2 months til the East Cape of Baja and the elusive Rooster
If I ever caught a Roosterfish, particularly on the fly,
I believe I would excrete a brick.

Good luck!
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Be sure to take an extra rod or two. Surf caught roosters are notorious fly rod breakers.

I've never had one break one of my rods, but I've been spooled by the stinkers twice. They can get rather large.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Assorted Clousers and Redfish Crack. I'm going to test them out tomorrow morning at the Light House Lakes.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Zackthefisherman wrote:Assorted Clousers and Redfish Crack. I'm going to test them out tomorrow morning at the Light House Lakes.
You sir, look well armed. I predict it will be a bad day for the redfish. I don't know what the body count will be, but it might get ugly.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Kayak Kid wrote:Be sure to take an extra rod or two. Surf caught roosters are notorious fly rod breakers.

I've never had one break one of my rods, but I've been spooled by the stinkers twice. They can get rather large.
That had to be a blast.
SurfRunner

Post by SurfRunner »

Zackthefisherman wrote:Assorted Clousers and Redfish Crack. I'm going to test them out tomorrow morning at the Light House Lakes.
Very nice...I tie a ton of crack and closures.......
Zackthefisherman

Thanks Karstopo and Surfrunner! I only caught one piggy perch all day that ate a tan and pink crack fly. This was my first time fly fishing the salt and only my second time yak fishing it. It was a good learning experience and a gorgeous day so I can't complain.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Zackthefisherman wrote:Thanks Karstopo and Surfrunner! I only caught one piggy perch all day that ate a tan and pink crack fly. This was my first time fly fishing the salt and only my second time yak fishing it. It was a good learning experience and a gorgeous day so I can't complain.
Awesome! It looked good from here until a thunder boomer built up after lunch. Lots of stuff to work out using fly gear. It probably takes a little commitment to get through the early stages. I think it's worth it, but your mileage might vary. No biggy either way, it's just fishing.
Zackthefisherman

Back to freshwater.
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

karstopo wrote:
Zackthefisherman wrote:Thanks Karstopo and Surfrunner! I only caught one piggy perch all day that ate a tan and pink crack fly. This was my first time fly fishing the salt and only my second time yak fishing it. It was a good learning experience and a gorgeous day so I can't complain.
Awesome! It looked good from here until a thunder boomer built up after lunch. Lots of stuff to work out using fly gear. It probably takes a little commitment to get through the early stages. I think it's worth it, but your mileage might vary. No biggy either way, it's just fishing.
Ain't that the truth! I've only been kayak salt water fishing since late November and I still learn a ton every time I go out.
Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Do It »

A guy I know is going to Grand Cayman so I tied him up a few so he didn't show up empty handed.
Crazy Charlie
Bonefish Puff
Ghost Gotcha
Peterson Spawning Shrimp

D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texoma1231

Post by texoma1231 »

This is a great web site for those who want to tie the spoon fly. http://bvipirate.com/spoonfly/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. you can print the pattern right on your printer from the site. Hope this helps!!!

Tight Lines.
CSsalt

Post by CSsalt »

Here's what iv'e been working on over the last couple of days:
Attachments
20160519_181120.jpg
20160519_154648.jpg
20160519_154809.jpg
StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Nice looking flies!

jackh

Post by jackh »

Redfish Ritalin

StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

jackh wrote:Image
Redfish Ritalin

I like! I just got some superhair and hope to try to tie some Ritalin of my own this weekend.

StrykerDM

Post by StrykerDM »

Been seeing a lot of crabs the last few times I went out and fished, so figured it'd be a good time toe work on tying some.

StrykerDM

What did you tie today?

Post by StrykerDM »

The blind chicken from the last fly swap worked great today. It catches big reds, small reds, and even small marsh trout that have lost their way.

elnaco

Post by elnaco »

The blind chicken is a solid fly from the mind of Capt Billy Trimble. I really like it in grassy areas bc the cone head helps it slip through the grass and the bucktail acts like a weed guard. It's got a really shrimpy action and lands nice and soft
Do It
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Do It »

UDF

D.

texoma1231

Post by texoma1231 »

Planning a trip to Lighthouse Lakes at the end of this month so I tied up these shrimp. Hope they will work on some redfish.
Attachments
IMG_0446.JPG
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

StrykerDM wrote:The blind chicken from the last fly swap worked great today. It catches big reds, small reds, and even small marsh trout that have lost their way.

Glad you like the "Blind Chicken" one of the best flies i have ever used and shown it by one of the best Captains i know - Capt. Billy Trimble
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

texoma1231 wrote:Planning a trip to Lighthouse Lakes at the end of this month so I tied up these shrimp. Hope they will work on some redfish.

Those have to be in the next shrimp fly swap