Sink tip

tex-archer

Sink tip

Post by tex-archer »

Can anyone tell me what to use and how to make the loops for a sink tip to connect to my 7wt WFF line?
texasag07

Re: Sink tip

Post by texasag07 »

tex-archer wrote:Can anyone tell me what to use and how to make the loops for a sink tip to connect to my 7wt WFF line?
Are you asking what material to use for the sinktip? If so it all depends on how fast you want it to sink, how deep you, want it to go, and what size rod your using it on. Also a sink tip you add on to an existing floating line will add more weight to it. So you might want to downsize the line depending on how long and how dense your sink tip is.
I think you should spend some time googling about sinktips and look at Rio's we'd site they have some good material regarding sink tips and sinking lines.

As far as making loops for loop to loop connection in the sink tip, you should be able to also find that online.

I double the end of the non loop sinktip material back over onto itself about 1-2", then tie 3 nail knots right against each other with 15-20lb mono this will give you a loop like your fly line already has.
Bowfin47

Post by Bowfin47 »

My experience with adding sinking sections to the front of already "balanced" line was that the "new" sinktip (unbalanced line) was far from a joy to cast... It worked but they hinged and "dumped".

I much prefer a factory made "balanced" sinktip line (of which I have several) casts much better... Look at Rio or Jim Teenies... Heck, look at all the line companies, as they all make great sinktips..

But if you still wish to pursue the exercise... Orvis sells looped tips or purchase them from Sea Level: http://www.danblanton.com/blog/looped-s ... -t-8-t-14-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternatively, you can make you own tips from lead core, T-8, T-14 or an old sinking line...

You may also wish to search both Dan Blanton's and Kiene's web sites have tons of discussions on shooting heads, modifying sinktips and sinking lines:

http://www.danblanton.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.kiene.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dan Blanton's Forum also has a bunch of instructions on forming loops...

Bowfin47
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

it's called hinging

beat the rush and get yourself a Teeny T200 line for freshwater, or a TS250 for salt (killer line on channel slopes and tide passes)
texasag07

Post by texasag07 »

I agree that most fused sinktips cast a little better than a loop to loop connection, but I do disagree that they all hinge I have tips from intermediate to t-14 that for 8-10wt spey rods that range from 5-15' in length I routinely run them on The front of weight forward lines from 7-10wt rods using the same tips and I do not experience hinging. If you are fishing one type of water very often at the same depth it makes sense to get a fused or integrated tip line. But for someone who hits lots of different bodies of water with varying depths, and different rod sizes you would go broke trying to buy additional lines for each rod size.

All sink tip lines cast worse than a normal floating line. I am a firm believer that if you can cast a integrated sink tip line well then you can cast a loop to loop addition sinktip as well.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

that's the difference, Teeny lines cast better than floating lines.

On a 7-wt you can even use slower sinking lines T130 for fresh, and TS150 for salt.
Or simply buy a TS-150 and use it for both.

Last edited by Ron Mc on Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Most advice is well worth listening to. However, I have found, over the years, that this Ron Mac fellow has forgotten more about fly lines than most of us know, And, that would, undoubtedly include me even though I've been fly fishing for much longer than he has. . If it were me (which it's not) I would go with his druthers. Personally, I do not enjoy using sinking lines so, I have no dog in the hunt.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Thanks, friend.
I've been fishing Teeny lines since the early 90s and haven't looked back. And I've tried every other combination of sink rigs before and after - T line is the best.
It is the straightest possible line from rod tip to hook tip.
I fish them 99+% of the time in warmwater, and 30+% in coldwater, and TS-250 if I'm in a tide current.
(I've caught suspended snapper at offshore rigs with TS450)
There's a good thread going on FFR, the fiberglass flyrod forum - over 1000 hits - and I talk about some techniques in detail, though it's aimed at small streams, and we talk a lot about their slightly shorter 3/4-wt cousin, Teeny BS-100 (the numbers are the grain-weights of the shooting heads).
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/v ... =2&t=50757" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are the stealthiest lines for sight-fishing, you can fish riffles and runs down and across, high-stick chutes like a sink tip, you can suspend a drift at a target depth with the rod tip.
You can stand at the top of a chute and troll the seams - and of course, down and across or straight down bottom bouncing.

The one thing I left out, T130 is the ultimate line for white bass - they will shoot out to 70' on every cast and bottom bounce.
When nobody else is catching white bass, you limit out with this line and slow bottom bouncing. Spooky white bass pods will follow forever and nip at the fly when it's sitting still on the bottom. The line has such low friction you can feel it pulling back when they nip.
(these are all 14", 2-y-o males - I released all the females and other males - kept a limit of 25 that day and let my buddies fillet what they wanted)
ps - I bought my first fly rod when I was 16 to catch white bass.

pss - the only good use for a sink tip is deep nymphing chutes
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Do those Teeny lines have welded loops? Because I'm terrible at doing nail knots.
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

So, being somewhat new to all this Fly Fishing and with warm water bass fishing insight, can you fish poppers and hoppers with sinking tip lines? I recognize I will catch more bass and brim if when fishing sub surface I'm using a sink tip line, but what about when I want to switch to top water?
Do you have to carry two reels on the water? Can you get by just switching leaders? I haven't bought a sink tip yet because I thought it locks me into subsurface. I'm not to the point that I have an arsenal of reels for every rod and line type that I can just interchange quickly.
Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Kayak Kid »

Finn Maccumhail wrote:Do those Teeny lines have welded loops? Because I'm terrible at doing nail knots.
Tying good nail knots used to drive me to drink. I then came into possession of a nail knot thingy, practiced a bit, and now it's a no brainer. Takes all the pain from the process, and puts the fun back.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Teeny lines are spliced shooting heads.
I use zap splice to Teeny 4' tapered leaders, and tie on fluoro tippet
total length from line to fly should be less than a fathom - stretch your arms out

can't use zap splice on salt lines, so on my TS250, I use a needle double-nail knot looped butt and loop on leaders.
I also make up short mono butt/ steel tippet leaders for toothy salt fish - many mackerel (incl kings) and jacks on this line

I always carry two reels or spare spool
(usually carry 3)

IMO, popper with a sink tip is a gimmick to sell sink tips
floating line w/ poppers (I prefer sliders) and Teeny line with a cats whisker.

in all that clear water on the San Marcos, you should be fishing a T130 or a BS100 on a 5-wt.
2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

Been doing good for a number of years on these loops. The biggest benefit is the loops are very near the end of the flyline which helps transfer energy.

http://2flyfish4.blogspot.com/2011/02/true-loops.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I loop everything except Teeny lines - you drag these across rocks and want them to keep dragging
2FlyFish4

Post by 2FlyFish4 »

Ron Mc wrote:I loop everything except Teeny lines - you drag these across rocks and want them to keep dragging
Are you saying the loops will snag on rocks/bottom?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hey, what do I know?
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

Just ordered the BS 100 for my 5 wt. I have been tying a bunch of streamers lately, should I still be using lead tape, wire bead heads ect. or with the sinking line are unweighted streamers fine? I mainly fish the San Marcos and work against current and depth often.
pearow

Post by pearow »

I used sink tips with loops for several years until I took Ron's advice and bought my first teeny T-130 line. The difference is like daylight and dark; the teeny is easy to pick up, casts like a rocket, and you can feel the fish hit as you have less slack with the teeny line. It was hard for me when I first started using it because I was fishing it like a sink tip on a floater line; once I learned to fish it, it was a no brainer; they are worth their money. Teeny also has a lighter line for the smaller 2 and 3 weight rods; think its called the BS-100 but not sure. Bulldog knows lines-p- :D
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

hey bro - now why haven't I seen you here before? I didn't know you played here. :mrgreen:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Texjbq85 wrote:Just ordered the BS 100 for my 5 wt. I have been tying a bunch of streamers lately, should I still be using lead tape, wire bead heads ect. or with the sinking line are unweighted streamers fine? I mainly fish the San Marcos and work against current and depth often.
fair warning - these little lines only take up 1/8" on a reel spool, you will need a lot of backing to fill the spool. (T-series take up 1/4" on a spool)