How do you catch Tilapia?

TexasSurfFisherman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TexasSurfFisherman »

On a hook! Or in the lip
yakn4fish

Post by yakn4fish »

Small caps......Bobber does work. Slip float rig. Casting in a bed. I use a slip float for all types of fishing. Some saw me do it at Matty and thought I was looney until they saw me pull in bait fish after bait fish. With a slip float I can reach the suspension of any fish. When I was young fishing the orange grove canals, thats all we used but the knot was tied in the fishing line. Now days they have upgraded to a small Football made of rubber. On the Colorado in still water works well for snagging yellows and bass. White bass on Somerville Lake have been taken with this method when suspended of the bottom. I love this rig and swear by this rig. Try it works. Sorry caused you a headache.....
Vlaude
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Vlaude »

If you know where they are and just want fish get a cast net and throw on them. Pretty easy to catch once you locate them. As someone mentioned they will stack up and stay schooled up most of the year from what I have seen. They will hit baits time to time as we catch them on large bomber long A's :shock: and traps. Surprising to see, I've heard peas make good bait for them though.

As far as the grass carp, if there is a permit in ponds you do not have to gut them, also there are some lakes that are stocked with triploids that again the do not have to be, and TPWD I would think prefer they are released if triploid and stocked. The problem is when they over populate in a water body, they are crap shoots that eat vast amounts of vegetation and will strip a water body of vegetation when overstocked creating poor water conditions and a poor environment for certain sport fish.
Nathan0701

Post by Nathan0701 »

When you bowfish for tilapia up at Gibbons, try shooting from the shore. Be sure and use full camo. If they are in the shallows, you will load up. Good practice for still hunting also.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

My wife and I had tilapia for dinner tonight. Very tasty. She caught them at the fish department in Brookshire Brothers grocery store. :lol:
greyloon
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by greyloon »

Night Wing wrote:My wife and I had tilapia for dinner tonight. Very tasty. She caught them at the fish department in Brookshire Brothers grocery store. :lol:
My dad called that fishing with a silver hook. Whenever he did that, he caught fish. Great method. :)
yakin ag
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by yakin ag »

I typically spook them when wading, I will try the shore/camo idea. Where on Gibbons do you usually find the largest concentrations of them? I tend to stick to the south shoreline of the closest fork...
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I'd like to know what Texas lakes have the largest populations of tilapia?
fishin phantom

Post by fishin phantom »

Greyloon, thats why people are worried. The 2 mentioned creeks are the 2 main tributaries, plus the san jack, for lake H. I have lived right next to cypress creek for years and have seen all kinds of polutants and trash in her water. We also ride ATV's in spring creek and all kinds of fluids and exhaust get leaked into that creek. Now i know i'm not helping the cause by riding my atv in the creek, but cypress creek is definatly nasty water.
redneckyakclub01
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redneckyakclub01 »

As stated above for the flyfishers, Wooly Buggers will get the tilapia.
johnny a
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by johnny a »

There is a warm water discharge into Horsepen Bayou just north of the road that goes throug Universty of Houston. There are LOTS of Tilapia there. If the water is up it is pretty easy to get a yak back into it andthe bottom is hard sand and the water is clear. You might also end up with a plecostamis.