Whitney to Waco

Whitney to Waco

Post by Guest »

Has anybody fished the Brazos recently and or know how the water is flowing below Whitney?
Boar

Post by Boar »

I crossed the dam a couple of days ago they were generating so the level was high it is a pretty regulated streach of river usualy with a generatin level and a regular level. It generaly doesnt get much higher or lower than those levels...generaly. In the past the fishing has been better for me during normal level when not generating. Last I heard the lake was a bit low so I dont expect a lot of generating for a while. Let me know when you are heading this way and I'll try to get more current info and maybe hook up for a trip

Boar
sbmcruise

Post by sbmcruise »

You can see the hourly releases @

http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil
WORK2PLAY

Brazos River Below Whitney

Post by WORK2PLAY »

Sorry this is so late, but better late than ever. My son and I fished two days (14th and 15) in July and had a great trip. They had not released water for almost two weeks before we arrived but do so the first morning of our trip. We waited until about 9:00am or so to launch to let the water drop a bit. The water was a little off color but it didn't seem to hurt the fishing too much. We fished day 1 with Guide Chris Schafer who was a great source of information about the river and the fishing and we caught maybe 45-50 bass between 1 to 4-1/2 pounds. The second day we launched the kayaks just below the dam and fished down river for about 5 miles then paddled back to the dam. I wouldn't neccesarily recommend doing it that way but Dick's Outpost is no longer open during the week to take out there. Unfortunately Dick passed away around the first of July and things are a little unsettled there as one might expect. His wife and sons are trying to work out a plan but I recommend you call ahead if your planning a trip. Day 2 was also very successful on the fishing front. We probably only caught 30-35 fish but on average they were larger than day one and it is always better in the kayaks. To answer your question about the water level, day 2 at the dam, the level was a little low but managable.
But it was unbelievable clear. I recommend this trip for anybody.
DBPlano

Post by DBPlano »

Glad to hear you had a good trip. I would like to fish that stretch of water some time soon. What kind of lures worked best for you? & What kind of bass did you catch the most of? I've heard smallmouth bass fishing is really good in the river.

DB

Post by Guest »

Now that is my kind of fishing report! Too bad I didn't try it while up in Dallas. Did the guide mention anything about 'lead' being in the river?
wilded

Post by wilded »

OK, glad you had a great trip. Now give us the scoop. What flies, lures and/or baits were you using. How were you fishing them. Top, shallow or deep. What kind of bass? Any other fish. What was the scenery like. Were there a lot of people or few if any. Thanks, ET :)
WORK2PLAY

Brazos River Below Whitney

Post by WORK2PLAY »

So, you want the really good stuff. Only if you call me to join you when you go. Seriously, this is a great trip. Leave your tackle boxes at home and take a handfull of 1/4 ounce Buzz Baits in any color. That's all you need, morning, noon, or night, period. The secret is to fish very tight to the covor. These fish are stacked right up against the bank in the heaviest available cover. The water is gin clear so you can see the bite as it happens; so don't get too trigger happy! We caught mostly largemouth, but also smallmouth and spotted bass as well. These fish are strong and your best fishing is in the heaviest cover so leave your ultralight tackle at home or else bring that tackle box(full of buzz baits) afterall. One more suggestion, be patient. Your best chance at catching these fish in this cover it to wait until your setup/drift is just right and make your best cast. Getting in a hurry to throw quickly to the next cover usually doesn't work. Make your first cast count and catch more fish. The fish are wise to your 2nd, 3rd....cast and seem to shy from the bait. The guide we fished with on day one pratices catch and release only and has been guiding on this river for 20 years or more. Needless to say, these fish have been in the net several times so they have a few tricks up their sleeves. Good luck and don't hesitate if your looking for a buddy for the trip. I am ready to make this trip again anytime!!!!!

Ron.
Boar

Post by Boar »

Just got back from fishing below Whitney dam a bit ago with JT,Barry, and some guys from the Ft Worth flyfishers that Im sorry to say I realy didn't get to know. they were not generating during the trip we onlt went a little way past coon creek caught a few fish shot some real good bull and had a overall blast. I failed to wear long pants as I thought I'd just be there a few hours.BIG MISTAKE...wore out my kitchen pass too buy a couple of hours and had a story all ready to blame it on Barry (it wasnt his fault but you know) but soon as she saw my poor legs it was all ok ...hmm maybe its better I went in shorts but it sure hurts

Anyway if you ever git a chance to fish with these guys TAKE IT! they are great guys and full of good helpfull info

Thanx Barry for the invite look fwd to doin it again
Boar

P.S. Ask Barry what he caught:)