AKA - Blanco River on Sat 7/19

GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

AKA - Blanco River on Sat 7/19

Post by GoinCoastal »

OK Folks!!!! You wanted it, you got it!

Saturday July 19
9:00AM
Blanco River @ 5 Mile Dam Park

Fishin for Perch & Bass on the Blanco.

For all of you who have never been to 5 Mile Dam....

Directions:
Take I-35 South from Austin. Exit at the Yarrington Rd exit between Kyle & San Marcos. Take the first road to the right which is CR140. Continue down that road until you reach Stagecoach Rd at the railroad trestle just before the river crossing. Turn right on Stagecoach Rd. and the park is on you rleft about a mile or more down the road. When you enter the park go to the right. There is a place to launch a boat & park at the end of the park.

Where & How to Fish:
The Blanco here is dammed. Therefore, the water is pretty slack upstream. Downstream is a steady flow with shallow runs and some large pools. You can put in at the dam or at the CR140 low water crossing and go south towards I-35. Or you can use the "ramp" in the park and go upstream. And you can go WAY upstream when the water is high. It was over the dam the last time I was there about 3 weeks ago and was high enough to head a pretty good ways up the river. The water is very clear and there are all kinds of structure. And it is very pretty scenery. And there is a big plus to the fishing at the park. The dam creates one heck of good swimming hole that will get plenty of usage as the day heats up. I like taking a refreshing swim after some paddling.

I personally do not know if I am going to be able to make it yet. I am trying to work it out tho. I think everyone will enjoy it. The 9am start time is when they unlock the park gates. It should be great fun. Also, alcohol is not allowed in the park. However, it doesn't seem to stop anyone. I would imagine that discreetly consumed cold beverage would be OK. And because of the swimming hole, it is great place to bring the family and let them swim while you fish.

Hope to see everyone there!!!!!

Later,
Joe
Attachments
5milemap.jpg
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Well...shucks. I've gotta work saturday. Never the less...I still urge all who are interested to make the trip. As I go around looking at new places...on SUNDAYS...I am just amazed at all the great freshwater fishing, paddling, and exploring places in Texas. Sometimes it's like paddling in pristine wilderness. At other times...such as on Belton Lake this last weekend with hundreds of skiers, jet skis, people being towed on tubes back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...I would explore along the shoreline and in the coves seeing all kinds of neat things that they never see....including deer not 20 feet away. The saltwater boys don't have nothing on the freshwater guys. They are just more vocal and narrow minded...except for a few switch hitters. Broaden your horizons...life's to short not to enjoy all of it.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

WELL SAID Gerald!!!!

I am a switch hitter and I get to enjoy it all. Sorry you can make the Blanco. However you should use the map and give a try some Sunday. Ignore the crowd there at the park and head upstream. It is beautiful and some pretty good fishin too.

It is amazing how diversified our fisheries are in Texas. For instance in the past 2 weeks, I have fished a highly rated urban fishery (Town lake in downtown Austin), a Texas powerplant lake that has been designated a large bass fishery( Lake Walter Long just outside Austin), a river channel feeder to Lake Granger( the North San Grabriel River), the shallow bay system & flats of Shoalwater Bay & Espirito Santo Bay( between Port O'Connor & Seadrift), and finally, the backwater lakes of the salt marshes at Boggy Bayou in Port O'Connor. Every one of these are completely different and special and I got to experience all of them in past 2 weeks. Now that's incredible to me!!!!!!!!!

later,
joe
MAV

Post by MAV »

Joe- Would it be best to go up or down stream? If I was to go down stream, does it end up under I-35 by the cement plant?
MAV
Top Water

Post by Top Water »

Mav

I wouldn't be wise to go down stream from 5 mile dam. The water goes to almost nothing. You'll be doing more walking than paddling. The only other place down stream to do any good is where the Blanco crosses Hwy 80. After that it dumps into the San Marcos. Good fishin in that area.