Weather Apps for on the Water

DNR

Weather Apps for on the Water

Post by DNR »

I've gotten a new, more powerful phone and I'm looking for a good weather app.
Mainly I want a good radar to see storms and rain coming and going while I'm on the river. I have used Weather Underground (through the website, not their app), but always seemed to start and run slow. I want to quickly see what's going on so I can plan accordingly.

I saw some of y'all talking about MyRadar on Neumie's Rattlesnake Point report. It looks like what I'm looking for.
What tier level are y'all using, I see from free, $6.99, 9.99, 14.99?

Dark Sky has good reviews, I do have an iPhone. Anybody using that?

Any others?

I posted this in the Freshwater section since that is where I mostly am, but anything pertinent to saltwater is good information too.
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Weather Apps for on the Water

Post by Neumie »

I use the free version of MyRadar on Android and like it. In my opinion, I don't think the annual subscriptions are worth it to remove the ads (although my free app does not have ads), add hurricane tracking, and add selectable individual radar stations. It's very nice being able to tap on one app and get radar right away instead of having to scroll and tap through a standard weather app.

I also use Wunderground everyday weather forecasts and Windfinder for another accurate wind prediction on my phone. If I had Apple I would swap Darksky for Wunderground.

I don't particularly like paying for apps since I do most of planning on my laptop, so I use eTide HDF for tides (Tide Graph is a decent pay one), Fish and Hunt Solunar for solunar, and Flow Alert for river flows.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I use the free versions of Myradar and Darksky but I pay for Windy.com. The free version of Myradar is fine for on-the-water updates and pre-trip planning. I use Darksky more for rain % chances hour by hour, and Windy.com is good for an hour-by-hour forecast. While obviously the rain is the most important factor of whether to go fishing or not, for me, the wind is next most important, so I pay for Windy.com since that is a less obvious factor to consider.
DNR

Post by DNR »

Good deal.
Free always fits my budget. :lol:

I'll get Myradar, and check out Darksky since it's free. I hate downloading to much stuff into my phone.

I use Weather Underground on my desktop for everyday weather too. But like you said it's a pain to manipulate on the water, and it always ran slow on my phones.

Thanks guys.
preast

Post by preast »

I just started using MyRadar a few months ago, after randomly trying a few when my previous app was discontinued. I like it OK but I also use WU app with no problems.

Looked for Darksky... is this the one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US Recent reviews aren't looking good. I'm on Android so maybe this isn't the one you're talking about.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

preast wrote:I just started using MyRadar a few months ago, after randomly trying a few when my previous app was discontinued. I like it OK but I also use WU app with no problems.

Looked for Darksky... is this the one? https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... n_US&gl=US Recent reviews aren't looking good. I'm on Android so maybe this isn't the one you're talking about.
Apple bought Dark Sky a year or so ago, so it's no longer a viable option for Android users as they won't support it for Android users.