Suggestions for My Bucket List Trip in the Hill Country

redhawk89

Suggestions for My Bucket List Trip in the Hill Country

Post by redhawk89 »

I'm taking 5 days off last week of March to go fish some rivers in the Hill Country. Given the two weekends on either side here, I'm looking at about a 7-8 day trip to go fishing.

The only stretch of river I really have had experience on to-date is the Lower Guad under Canyon Lake Dam. I'm hopping to cross off a bunch of other bucket list rivers off my list this week. Mainly targeting bass.

I really want to hit the South Llano, the Upper Guad and the Frio. Also thinking off the Medina, the Blanco, Pedernales, and maybe Colorado under Towne Lake.

I'm really looking to determine which rivers I can look to pull an overnight camping trip on vs. which ones will be single day floats as I have a bunch of friends in the Hill Country we can stay with. Any suggestions are appreciated! Particularly good stretches to consider. Thanks!
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Suggestions for My Bucket List Trip in the Hill Country

Post by Ron Mc »

I love fishing the Guadalupe and Pedernales headwaters, and have for 40 years, but the largest river bass in Texas are the Sabinal and Nueces. Add to that the lower Frio.
The bucket-list fishing trip is the Frio Sendero, but access is all private.
redhawk89

Post by redhawk89 »

Ok, I gotta ask - where is the Frio Sendero?
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

It's south of US-90, and includes the 6 miles of river that disappears into the aquifer recharge and re-emerges into the coastal plain.
A buddy has a family ranch there - one day, 3 of us caught 400 bass hiking from one cold pool to the next, and each broke off 2-3 lifetime bass - 10-12 lbs.
This is one of the blue holes where the river is coming back from the aquifer

You can get some pretty good access to the Sabinal blue holes and the confluence of the Frio and Sabinal by driving to the crossings south from the town of Sabinal.
This is the final blue hole on the Sabinal - there are 7 bass sitting on the flagstone against the far bank.

A blue hole on Williams Creek in Tarpley
Here's the Nueces fingers and blue holes at Chalk Bluff.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I've fished the Nueces River the past couple years and it was hit hard by two massive floods in 2018 and still recovering. Lots of smaller fish, but I'm not sure the big bass are there, at least not in the crossings I've wade fish. It is a very pretty river and easy to do an overnighter on.

The Sabinal has big bass and is my favorite of the Hill Country rivers. I mainly wade fish it around Utpoia and Vanderpool, but there are stretches which require kayaks. This is better suited for day floats and trips.

The Upper Medina River would make a nice overnight float from Medina to Bandera. Lots of big bass and Rio Grande Cichlids through this stretch. Some Beautiful water falls as well.

Pedernales River isn't as clear of a river as all the other rivers on your list, but it has monster carp.

Blanco the land owners are assholes and access is very limited. At most crossings you'll have to walk well over 1/2 mile from a crossing to where you can legally park due to abuse of "No Parking" signs.

A very under rated river with quality fish is the San Saba, especially the stretch between Fort McKavett and Menard. Super clear water, big fish, and little pressure. A multiday float from the Fort to Menard is at the top of my list.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I lived in Ingram a couple of years. The north and south arms of the Guadalupe join just north of the Hunt Crossing, west of Ingram. From there all the way to Comfort there are lots of small dammed up lakes, New and Old Lakes Ingram, Kerrville Ponding Lake(Chester Nimitz), Louise B. Hayes Park, Flatrock Lake, Center Point and many more. They hold Largemouth bass, Guadalupe bass, carfish and gar. I don't know if the TPWD stocks trout that far west. In the Kerrville area, the property owners are like Ron said about the Blanco guys, but there are access points at most lakes. Nice clear spring water. I really enjoyed fishing that area. I never made it to the Rebecca launch at the west end of Canyon Lake, but wanted to. There's tons of great fishing in the Hill Country(people in Austin THINK they're in the Texas Hill Country). Have a good time. TexasJim
redhawk89

Post by redhawk89 »

[quote="Ron Mc"]It's south of US-90, and includes the 6 miles of river that disappears into the aquifer recharge and re-emerges into the coastal plain.
A buddy has a family ranch there - one day, 3 of us caught 400 bass hiking from one cold pool to the next, and each broke off 2-3 lifetime bass - 10-12 lbs.

Very cool pics Ron! Fun to look for these kind of places on Google Maps even if I can't access them hah!
redhawk89

Post by redhawk89 »

TexasJim wrote:I lived in Ingram a couple of years. The north and south arms of the Guadalupe join just north of the Hunt Crossing, west of Ingram. From there all the way to Comfort there are lots of small dammed up lakes, New and Old Lakes Ingram, Kerrville Ponding Lake(Chester Nimitz), Louise B. Hayes Park, Flatrock Lake, Center Point and many more. They hold Largemouth bass, Guadalupe bass, carfish and gar. I don't know if the TPWD stocks trout that far west. In the Kerrville area, the property owners are like Ron said about the Blanco guys, but there are access points at most lakes. Nice clear spring water. I really enjoyed fishing that area. I never made it to the Rebecca launch at the west end of Canyon Lake, but wanted to. There's tons of great fishing in the Hill Country(people in Austin THINK they're in the Texas Hill Country). Have a good time. TexasJim
TexasJim, I appreciate the insight. I worked in Hunt, TX for two summers years ago and absolutely love the area. Someone had mentioned trying the headwaters of the Guad up that way and I was going to try and look into it!
redhawk89

Post by redhawk89 »

Neumie wrote:I've fished the Nueces River the past couple years and it was hit hard by two massive floods in 2018 and still recovering. Lots of smaller fish, but I'm not sure the big bass are there, at least not in the crossings I've wade fish. It is a very pretty river and easy to do an overnighter on.

The Sabinal has big bass and is my favorite of the Hill Country rivers. I mainly wade fish it around Utpoia and Vanderpool, but there are stretches which require kayaks. This is better suited for day floats and trips.

The Upper Medina River would make a nice overnight float from Medina to Bandera. Lots of big bass and Rio Grande Cichlids through this stretch. Some Beautiful water falls as well.

Pedernales River isn't as clear of a river as all the other rivers on your list, but it has monster carp.

Blanco the land owners are assholes and access is very limited. At most crossings you'll have to walk well over 1/2 mile from a crossing to where you can legally park due to abuse of "No Parking" signs.

A very under rated river with quality fish is the San Saba, especially the stretch between Fort McKavett and Menard. Super clear water, big fish, and little pressure. A multiday float from the Fort to Menard is at the top of my list.
Neumie, thanks for the info! Good to know about the Nueces. I may end up going there just to soak in the views. Glad to hear there's big fish in the Sabinal as I've wanted to checkout the Lost Maples-Utopia of Texas for some years now. I will definitely be bringing my kayak, are there any stretches you'd reccomend?

Also interesting you brought up the San Saba. I have heard good things about it as well. Initially had it on my list, maybe I need to reconsider it.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Post by imaoldmanyoungsalt »

Neumie wrote:I've fished the Nueces River the past couple years and it was hit hard by two massive floods in 2018 and still recovering. Lots of smaller fish, but I'm not sure the big bass are there, at least not in the crossings I've wade fish. It is a very pretty river and easy to do an overnighter on.

Josh, what area of the Nueces do you usually wade?
Pontoonmann

Post by Pontoonmann »

The Upper Guad downstream from Rebecca creek bridge can be exciting if conditions are such that you catch at least part of the white bass run.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

redhawk89 wrote:Neumie, thanks for the info! Good to know about the Nueces. I may end up going there just to soak in the views. Glad to hear there's big fish in the Sabinal as I've wanted to checkout the Lost Maples-Utopia of Texas for some years now. I will definitely be bringing my kayak, are there any stretches you'd reccomend?

Also interesting you brought up the San Saba. I have heard good things about it as well. Initially had it on my list, maybe I need to reconsider it.
On the Sabinal with a kayak I'd look at Utopia City Park or paddling up or down river from the first crossing of 187 from the town of Sabinal (29°31'0.93"N, 99°30'30.83"W). Expect to drag the kayak in stretches. Other than those the Sabinal is better suited for wade fishing, IMO.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:Josh, what area of the Nueces do you usually wade?
CR 408, 412, and 414 mainly. Have scoped out River Rd and McDonald crossings, but they've always had more people there than I'd care to be around.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: Suggestions for My Bucket List Trip in the Hill Country

Neumie wrote:
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:Josh, what area of the Nueces do you usually wade?
CR 408, 412, and 414 mainly. Have scoped out River Rd and McDonald crossings, but they've always had more people there than I'd care to be around.
Thanks Josh. Like the OP, I have Vacation coming up the last week of March and I've been wanting to hit some of these hill country rivers. I'm thinking I'll leave the kayak behind and just do some wading and skip around to several different ones over the course of a week. Ive been looking at some Google map pictures and did not realize how beautiful the Nueces was.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:Thanks Josh. Like the OP, I have Vacation coming up the last week of March and I've been wanting to hit some of these hill country rivers. I'm thinking I'll leave the kayak behind and just do some wading and skip around to several different ones over the course of a week. Ive been looking at some Google map pictures and did not realize how beautiful the Nueces was.

Nueces is a very pretty river. It may not be the picturesque Hill Country people expect with cypress lined banks, but the open skies and vista views are spectacular. I think Ron may have mentioned earlier, but since there's very little shade on the river you definitely need to focus fishing any shady spots.

Since there's very little shade make sure to wear adequate sun protection and lots of drinking water; even in March. The sun reflects up from the white rocks so you kind of get hit from above and below on a sunny day.
imaoldmanyoungsalt

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Suggestions for My Bucket List Trip in the Hill Country

Neumie wrote:
imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:Thanks Josh. Like the OP, I have Vacation coming up the last week of March and I've been wanting to hit some of these hill country rivers. I'm thinking I'll leave the kayak behind and just do some wading and skip around to several different ones over the course of a week. Ive been looking at some Google map pictures and did not realize how beautiful the Nueces was.

Nueces is a very pretty river. It may not be the picturesque Hill Country people expect with cypress lined banks, but the open skies and vista views are spectacular. I think Ron may have mentioned earlier, but since there's very little shade on the river you definitely need to focus fishing any shady spots.

Since there's very little shade make sure to wear adequate sun protection and lots of drinking water; even in March. The sun reflects up from the white rocks so you kind of get hit from above and below on a sunny day.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely slather on the sun screen!
Sounds like a good river for a fly rod too! I need the practice and experience, so I'll be sure to take it with.

redhawk89

Post by redhawk89 »

Neumie wrote:
redhawk89 wrote:Neumie, thanks for the info! Good to know about the Nueces. I may end up going there just to soak in the views. Glad to hear there's big fish in the Sabinal as I've wanted to checkout the Lost Maples-Utopia of Texas for some years now. I will definitely be bringing my kayak, are there any stretches you'd reccomend?

On the Sabinal with a kayak I'd look at Utopia City Park or paddling up or down river from the first crossing of 187 from the town of Sabinal (29°31'0.93"N, 99°30'30.83"W). Expect to drag the kayak in stretches. Other than those the Sabinal is better suited for wade fishing, IMO.
Thank you!!! This is very helpful. It might be nice to ditch the kayak for the day anyway. I have always wanted to see Lost Maples Start Park, so maybe I'll go up there too.

Also appreciate the info on the Nueces. Really helps to understand floatable spots.

I have heard good & bad things about the Medina River. Some saying it's real low, but others I've talked to said they've caught large bass there.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

redhawk89 wrote:Thank you!!! This is very helpful. It might be nice to ditch the kayak for the day anyway. I have always wanted to see Lost Maples Start Park, so maybe I'll go up there too.

Also appreciate the info on the Nueces. Really helps to understand floatable spots.

I have heard good & bad things about the Medina River. Some saying it's real low, but others I've talked to said they've caught large bass there.
Make sure to reserve your day pass online for Lost Maples. If you're going during a weekday they should have plenty of available passes, weekends could sell out.

As for the Medina, and really any Hill Country River, flow rates will be lower during summer months due to less rain fall and more pumping from the aquifer to meet human needs and irrigation. Late fall through spring (Nov. through May) will have the highest flow rates. Again, this pretty common across all Hill Country Rivers.

Most of the Hill Country Rivers hold large bass, it just depends on the pressure of the section you're fishing. The farther you can get away from an access point, the better your chances at catching larger bass.

As I mentioned before the Nueces River experienced two historic floods in Oc. 2018 which drastically changed the river bed (look at Google Earth historical imagery to see the difference) and I do not feel the larger bass have bounced back. I bring a snorkel with me and sometimes after I fish a pool, I'll swim around looking at structure and I have not seen decent sized bass since the flood. Good populations of small to average bass, catfish, and sunfish; though.

The Llano also had a historic flood in Oct. 2018, but I do not have first hand knowledge of how it affected the fish populations or whether or not the river bed had any drastic changes as Google Earth just has pre-flood imagery for most of that river.
redhawk89

Post by redhawk89 »

Neumie wrote:

Neumie, the stretch downriver of that bridge crossing off 187 looks interesting. Looks like there's a couple dams, can't tell if it'd be trouble getting back upriver. I am considering wading this river more and more. Do you have suggested spots for wading on the Sabinal?

Thanks for all the info!
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

redhawk89 wrote:Neumie, the stretch downriver of that bridge crossing off 187 looks interesting. Looks like there's a couple dams, can't tell if it'd be trouble getting back upriver. I am considering wading this river more and more. Do you have suggested spots for wading on the Sabinal?

Thanks for all the info!
I was at the Sabinal this past weekend and did a little wet wading; nothing deeper than, well, the "soprano" line. Although, it wasn't too cold past the initial shock.

River flow is very low for this time of the year, so kayaking back up river from 187 with those small series of dams shouldn't be an issue. Low water flow may mean needing to drag /portage in the lower spots.

I waded at Utopia City Park and Thompson Rd briefly. Those, are my main haunts.
kev_theis

Post by kev_theis »

I’ve made several paddles on the South Llano and would highly recommend it. I’ve done some east of i10 as well but for your first trip I would recommend launching at South Llano River SP and taking it down to Schreiner Park in Junction. Decent fishing and some gorgeous views.

Tomorrow I’m paddling somewhere between Hunt and Comfort, currently on here researching which way I wanna go lol. I’ll provide update tomorrow evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
imaoldmanyoungsalt

kev_theis wrote:I’ve made several paddles on the South Llano and would highly recommend it. I’ve done some east of i10 as well but for your first trip I would recommend launching at South Llano River SP and taking it down to Schreiner Park in Junction. Decent fishing and some gorgeous views.

Tomorrow I’m paddling somewhere between Hunt and Comfort, currently on here researching which way I wanna go lol. I’ll provide update tomorrow evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you park a vehicle at Schreiner park before daylight for a self shuttle?

Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

imaoldmanyoungsalt wrote:Can you park a vehicle at Schreiner park before daylight for a self shuttle?

At Schreiner Park you can park before daylight. At Kimble County Park on the south shore it is gated and has park hours (I do not know what those are). When my friend and I did the Junction to Yates run a few years back we left his vehicle Schreiner Park for three days. We called and let the city and police know we were doing so.