Stubblefield Park Lake Conroe, first trip

gb15

Stubblefield Park Lake Conroe, first trip

Post by gb15 »

Weather permitting, I plan to make my first visit to the Stubblefield Lake Recreation area in the next two weeks for some day trip kayak fishing. Any suggestions on launch sites or fishing spots?
ben_beyer

Re: Stubblefield Park Lake Conroe, first trip

Post by ben_beyer »

It's kind of a combat launch because they are repairing the bridge. I was there yesterday targeting whitebass and I live in the BCS area. The road deadends by the entrance to the park and just used by ctug to get my kayak down to the road closed signs and then slid it down the mud drain and into the water. The mud is firm on the botttom. There is also a steep sandy/gravel mix you can slide it down and I used that when exiting yesterday and then just backed my truck up and quickly loaded since no one was going out or coming back in.

The whitebass are not thick my any means, but I caught a couple decent keepers.
Attachments
141105635_10106618429316583_1611007576441544460_o.jpg
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

I have not been to that park in a few yrs now. Thanks for the report and keep them coming. White bass run season gets started down that way pretty quick now.
gb15

Post by gb15 »

just as a follow up: I finally made my first trip to Stubblefield, what a great way to rejuvenate mind, body and soul. Yesterday was the first no wind, no rain day in a few weeks and the weather was gorgeous. Spent some time paddling the labyrinth of islands and canals on the lake side, beautiful Spanish moss and birds galore, then went up river to fish. I encountered a dozen or so likeminded fisherman, mostly kayaks, some flat bottoms, and shoreline anglers. They were using live bait, fly rods, and spinning gear. All were catching fish on the river, not so much lake side, of the 14 whites I landed only 2 were female.
Daniel Creighton

Post by Daniel Creighton »

I'm going to possibly try Stubblefield this Sunday.
Cityfisher

Post by Cityfisher »

gb15 wrote:just as a follow up: I finally made my first trip to Stubblefield, what a great way to rejuvenate mind, body and soul. Yesterday was the first no wind, no rain day in a few weeks and the weather was gorgeous. Spent some time paddling the labyrinth of islands and canals on the lake side, beautiful Spanish moss and birds galore, then went up river to fish. I encountered a dozen or so likeminded fisherman, mostly kayaks, some flat bottoms, and shoreline anglers. They were using live bait, fly rods, and spinning gear. All were catching fish on the river, not so much lake side, of the 14 whites I landed only 2 were female.
Sam Houston National Forest and the Stubblefield area is my favorite place to fish and camp if I'm not at the coast. I do a lot of camping either at the Stubblefield recreation center or just primitive camp off one of the forest roads if it isn't gun season. During hunting season I'll find a hunters camp if Stubblefield is full. Even after 6-8 years of fishing there I am still learning where and when to find the fish. After getting a fishfinder this past year I've learned even more. Especially for largemouth bass.
14 white bass is a good haul to me. Congrats!!!