Catfish on jerkbait?

2 Weight Willie

Catfish on jerkbait?

Post by 2 Weight Willie »

So about 10min ago, I caught a nice catfish. But the strange thing was this was the third in a row I had caught on a jerk bait in the evening. I know jerkbaits are an awesome choice for winter bass, but a catfish. Huh. Any experience with catching catfish on jerkbaits?(I was using a googan squad scout jerk bait in pro blue)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Catfish on jerkbait?

Post by karstopo »

My buddy gets them on a rapala jerkbait that looks similar to the Googan. I don’t really fish hard lures like jerkbaits for bass, but channel catfish will readily take soft plastics and flies. The lake I live on is pretty loaded with channel cats and they will go after lures and flies. Biggest I’ve gotten on flies is 8 pounds, but 4-5 pound fish are pretty common to get on balanced leeches, clousers and other sinking types.

It’s odd how some days where I fish the exact same structure with the exact same lures or flies will produce such different results. Seems like the less bright, more cloudy days produce more catfish.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I get them on cats whisker

ImageImage
2 Weight Willie

Re: RE: Re: Catfish on jerkbait?

karstopo wrote:My buddy gets them on a rapala jerkbait that looks similar to the Googan. I don’t really fish hard lures like jerkbaits for bass, but channel catfish will readily take soft plastics and flies. The lake I live on is pretty loaded with channel cats and they will go after lures and flies. Biggest I’ve gotten on flies is 8 pounds, but 4-5 pound fish are pretty common to get on balanced leeches, clousers and other sinking types.

It’s odd how some days where I fish the exact same structure with the exact same lures or flies will produce such different results. Seems like the less bright, more cloudy days produce more catfish.
That's neat. At our pond they like to bite on scented shad imitations too.

2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:I get them on cats whisker

ImageImage
Great pics! Also until today I have never heard of catch catfish on flies!

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Channel cats are really easy to catch on a rising river - you'll find them grazing the newly wet bank.
Last edited by Ron Mc on Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 Weight Willie

Ron Mc wrote:Channel cats are really easy to catch on a rising river - you'll find grazing the newly wet bank.
Thank you