Good places near me

Jestew01

Good places near me

Post by Jestew01 »

I live in Alvarado (South of Fort Worth and east of Cleburne) me and a friend want to start kayaking more, does anyone know of any good places to go around here. I will be doing some fishing while we’re out but it’s going to be more for just hanging out and getting a paddling workout in a couple days a week. Also since I will be doing some fishing anyone have any reports for around here or ideas of where to go
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Good places near me

Post by Neumie »

Jestew01 wrote:I live in Alvarado (South of Fort Worth and east of Cleburne) me and a friend want to start kayaking more, does anyone know of any good places to go around here. I will be doing some fishing while we’re out but it’s going to be more for just hanging out and getting a paddling workout in a couple days a week. Also since I will be doing some fishing anyone have any reports for around here or ideas of where to go
A good paddle is the Brazos River below Lake Whitney. It's about 8 miles from the dam to Dick's who runs shuttles. During the Fall/Spring/Winter you can launch and paddle back upstream to the dam put in, but it's nearly impossible to do so during the summer because it's a hydro electric dam.

Cleburne State Park has a great clear water lake to paddle. Wheeler Branch in Glen Rose is another clear water lake that has an awesome fishery. There is a fee for non-county residence.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Also, here's a post I made in the past which shows how to import current river stream flows into Google Earth. If you plan on kayaking rivers knowing what the cfs is very important.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 8#p2297008
Buckshot-73

Post by Buckshot-73 »

Lake Alvarado... In your backyard, last time I fished it, caught some good bass and catfish.

Lake pat Cleburne... put in the river, good crappie fishing.

Lake Aquilla... lots of boats, plenty of fish and padding.