Colorado River around Smithville

bones72

Colorado River around Smithville

Post by bones72 »

Went down on the Colorado around Smithville last weekend. It was not a kayak adventure though I wish I had one. A friend of a friend invited us down to do some catfishing. He had a little 12 ft johnboat with a surface drive to scoot us between pools. A yak would have been better as the river was low and was a challenge for the johnboat. Sorry no pictures as it was raining off and on most of the day.

It was a pretty good day and we caught a few for the grease. All channels though I was told that large flatheads reside in the area and can be caught there even in the cooler months. What amazed me about the trip was the larger bass, in the one to two pound range willing to bite on catfish baits; worms, and sunfish. I'd have to call them river bass as I am not sure of species; they looked much like the spots I catch around here on Nolan creek but with more of a bronze cast to them but definitely not smallmouth and I would assume to big to be Guadalupes. One of the coolest things was watching a pair of eagles playing along the river most of the day and ospreys out hunting.
SWFinatic

Re: Colorado River around Smithville

Post by SWFinatic »

Thanks for the report. If you know where those deeper holes are that's half the battle to catching catfish there. I've fished the Colorado around Bastrop some for cats with no luck. I figured out you pretty much need to know where the deeper holes are.
bones72

Post by bones72 »

We fished holes that were in the four to ten foot range. Cats and bass were in those holes especially near high cut banks and bluffs. Not big pools by any means maybe ten to twenty yards long by five to ten wide. Kinda reminded me of the little creek up here, the fish were definitely schooled the same. Sunfish were in the deeper holes that had tree roots in them.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

great report