Catfishing: Stringer/Soft Cooler/Icechest

jrsac

Catfishing: Stringer/Soft Cooler/Icechest

Post by jrsac »

Catfish season is upon us and I am wanting to see what you all think the best way to keep them. I am partial to a stringer but it can get crazy on deck if you keep a lot of fish and don't want to drag them back through the water. I keep a milk crate for gear behind me and I fish out of the Heritage Angler 12 if that helps with your recommendation. Thank you and tight lines!
Crusader

Re: Catfishing: Stringer/Soft Cooler/Icechest

Post by Crusader »

cut spines with pliers/cutters, put into soft cooler
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

I carry an ice chest in my pro angler to keep fish in most of the time. If I'm in any other kayak I'll have a soft cooler. I use cooler shock frozen ice bags they work great. Definitely clip the fins tho.
jrsac

Post by jrsac »

Thanks. My wife picked up a few soft cooler bags so I will give them a shot instead of my stringer. I always clip the fins so they don't stab each other so I will make sure to keep doing that. Do you use any type of liner when you put them in there or just clean it as best you can after you use it?
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

jrsac wrote:Thanks. My wife picked up a few soft cooler bags so I will give them a shot instead of my stringer. I always clip the fins so they don't stab each other so I will make sure to keep doing that. Do you use any type of liner when you put them in there or just clean it as best you can after you use it?
Bucee's soft cooler has liner inside, if you cut spines properly -- it will be ok (but will start leaking with time anyway). To wash just rinse inside with water while rubbing it with hand (on inside ;-) ) -- you need to get fish slime off the walls or it is going to stink to the high heavens tomorrow. Then turn cooler upside down and hang it somewhere to dry.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

jrsac wrote:Thanks. My wife picked up a few soft cooler bags so I will give them a shot instead of my stringer. I always clip the fins so they don't stab each other so I will make sure to keep doing that. Do you use any type of liner when you put them in there or just clean it as best you can after you use it?
Walmart has silver shopping bags for frozen foods they sell for a buck each that are good for using as a cooler bag liner. I usually find them in the freezer section hanging on an end rack. But you're still gonna get slime on the bag especially on the top around the zipper.

Like Crusader said getting the slime off is key. Dial soap works on fish odors.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

... also, bucee's soft cooler liner is replaceable -- you can find them online. $10 a piece or smth like that.
jrsac

Post by jrsac »

These are what she grabbed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/50-Can-Therm ... /506657684

They were only $3.00 in the store. So if it makes it through more than 1 trip I'll be happy with them.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

In order to keep those soft bags and such clean just go to Lowe's and buy some of those heavy duty leaf bags. The heavy duty kind, and clip the fins on the cats and put them into the bag and then into the soft fish bag or ice chest.
Take the fish out and the bag is clean with no slime.
I once had about 40# of cats on my stringer and I had a long paddle back to the launch and no ice chest, so I drug my stringer of fish over to the nearest shore and I had a large front hatch, so I got out of the kayak in the ankle deep water and put those fish into the trash bag and into the hull of my kayak.
Made the paddle back to the launch and all the cats were alive and kicking when I got to shore and then placed into my large cooler I had at the truck.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Use the above bag but ALSO buy a .98 cent cooler bag from walmart as well and put the .98 cent bag INSIDE the bag above and then put your fish/ice in and you will not leak. IThis is how I bring my fish home after each trip myself. Very easy to clean or just buy a new .98 cooler bag.