Canyon lake fishing, memorial day weekend?

Chubs

Canyon lake fishing, memorial day weekend?

Post by Chubs »

I'm pretty much clueless on freshwater fishing. Anyone have any good tips for fishing canyon lake this weekend, either from a yak or a boat?

What's biting this time of year and what type of structure do you target/ lures to use?

Is the white bass run still on?

Thanks for any info.
Max1775

Re: RE: Canyon lake fishing, memorial day weekend?

Post by Max1775 »

Chubs wrote:I'm pretty much clueless on freshwater fishing. Anyone have any good tips for fishing canyon lake this weekend, either from a yak or a boat?

What's biting this time of year and what type of structure do you target/ lures to use?

Is the white bass run still on?

Thanks for any info.
Wish I could help, but I'm in the s and predicament. New to this whole fresh water thing and no idea where to go.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
t100

Re: Canyon lake fishing, memorial day weekend?

Post by t100 »

I’d HIGHLY recommend staying off a major lake during a holiday weekend. Hit up a river like the Guadalupe (the non toober portions) or San Marcos.
As far as what’s biting? I’d throw a Texas rig worm with a 1/8 oz bullet weight.

Whites are most likely done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

Agree with t100. Your best bet is maybe upper Guad, upstream of the BR 11 last shallow rapids section, to avoid crowds, noise, motorboat wakes- go early or late to avoid tubers in their loop sections. Water is very low, some dragging required, launch at bridges- catching cats, perch, and bass.

PM
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Thanks for the tips! I'll see if my dad will spring for using the kayaks instead of the PB. It's his fancy new boat though so good luck to me lol.

I've got the Rat-L-Traps and have some red and pink worms with bullet weights. Also might have some lizards and crappie jigs/ plastics.

Suppose I'll just try stuff and hit flat-ish areas.
Luckee

Post by Luckee »

So crowds are likely to be bad? I was thinking maybe the heat would scare people off, but that's wishful thinking . . .

Trying to decide whether or not to schedule some Austin business meetings after Memorial day and using the weekend to kayak fish.

Sounds like some other weekend would be better?
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

Quick update, I posted a fishing report in the reports section of the forum.

We did fish the main lake, on the north middle 1/3. It wasn't too bad out there Saturday morning but did get busy by 10am.

Bass were out there in the 5 - 15 zone of water with the gradual drops. Looked for underwater cover with weed lines and such. They were biting jigheads with white curl tail, and texas rigged worms.

Didn't catch much but we also didn't fish long enough, and I'm a newb at setting the hook on texas rigged worms lol.
ford.rhodes

Post by ford.rhodes »

I'm late to the party here, but I just want to ask, other than snipers and cats has anyone ever caught a good fish at Canyon? I've been a dozen times and caustic one dink LMB.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

My dad catches white bass while they are running. I've not caught any keeper lmbs but I'm sure they are there. I saw people pulling them out of the water back in winter (not me though :))

I think crappie are supposed to be decent too.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Your best chance for catching decent sized bass is to fish lake Dunlap below the lake. There is a free launch under the I35 bridge.
Facing the launch, go to the right as far as you can go to avoid the boats or go left toward the main lake.
Either way, this time of year, you need to go early, early, and fish late, late.
BTW Canyon can be a tough nut to crack, and your best bet is to launch up river out of ramp #11 aka Rebecca/Cypress Creek Launch.
ford.rhodes

Post by ford.rhodes »

I know Canyon has them, I just never see anyone get them. I've fished McQueen eyes and there are some good ones in there if you can stand the non-residents who come in their skills boats. Never been there in a Kayak, but I'm definitely going to try it.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk