Sheldon Lake

5fangers

Sheldon Lake

Post by 5fangers »

Is Sheldon Lake in the east part of town (Houston) worth checking out? The lake looks small and easy to navigate.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Sheldon Lake

Post by shoffer »

I have fished it before. There are bass in the lake, and gators, too. Much of it is choked off by vegetation, but the reason I don't fish it anymore is that there are tons of reports of vehicle break-ins there. http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=227510

Do a search on the board and you will find stories. Someone did a video from their trip out there not too long ago that will give you a good idea of what it is like. Run this search on Google and you will find the many posts about it.
sheldon site:texaskayakfisherman.com
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

I've been there several times and there was so much vegetation I didn't even launch .. once years ago I tried to paddle across it in a canoe it's very shallow ...personal I don't think its worth the effort
5fangers

Post by 5fangers »

Dammit.. Thanks for the heads up on it. Time to find another spot in the Houston area and surrounding area that holds bass and is trailer friendly. I'm open to suggestions.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

try ponderosa Marina is an easy launch i think its $5 to launch but easy paddle http://www.texaslakeinfo.com/lakehousto ... 4b83f8.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

I have seen video of MDLR fishing the lake. The vegetation was heavy but he made it through with some effort and the fishing was phenomenal! The bass are stacked under that matting. He said to just power your way through the heavy vegetation and you will find an opening and start slaying them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0SeuenwW1s
ChanceHuiet

Post by ChanceHuiet »

The hydrilla is not as bad as in years past and it is loaded with big fish. Not just bass. But yeah thefts can be a problem. I've had a tailgate stolen out there before and a buddy had his truck ransacked after they smashed a window to get in. But that's 2 incidents between me and 2 buddies that have probably spent 300 days there over the years.