problem with my Dragonfly 5 Pro unit

Crusader

problem with my Dragonfly 5 Pro unit

Post by Crusader »

About 2 weeks ago my Dragonfly unit switched off and I can no longer power it up.

Spoke to Raymarine rep -- they say warranty is out (bought it ~1.5 years ago) and to fix it (or more precisely "to get an out of warranty repair quote") I have to send it back to them. It is going to take too long and there is a chance that nothing is wrong with my unit and problem is with wiring somewhere.

If you have same unit and live in Houston area -- I'd appreciate if you let me connect my unit to see if it is out or not...

Also, I'd appreciate an advice -- maybe there is a repair shop in Houston?
mmwaggie

Re: problem with my Dragonfly 5 Pro unit

Post by mmwaggie »

If you are concerned that power is not being supplied to the unit grab a digital multimeter to make sure you're meeting the power requirements for the unit to turn on. That will be faster than waiting to find another dragonfly owner.
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Connector holes are very thin -- my multimeter can't get inside. :)
Crusader

Post by Crusader »

Took it to West Marine, asked to use their ff stand, connected -> it works. Checked my wiring, everything looks fine. Only thing on the wire is some sort of a chip close to connector (that goes into the unit). I cut it out -- it works now. No idea what that chip is -- some sort of interference filter? I imagine it went bad from heat -- constantly in direct sun when on water.

Not sure how it is going to affect performance, though... We'll see on next trip.

Noticed that DragonFly 5 PRO on the stand is way more responsive than mine and aforementioned chip is square instead of round. Looks like they are using improved hardware in them now.