Sabinal River...

krackdawg

Sabinal River...

Post by krackdawg »

I have a trip planned coming up at the end of the month on the Sabinal near Utopia. Any reports of river flow lately? Thanks!
Neumie
Site Admin

Re: Sabinal River...

Post by Neumie »

Water flow is looking normal.

Are you kayaking? The Sabinal River near Utopia is fairly small and the pools would require some dragging in between them.
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Yep, will be yakking a little and fishing on foot some as well. Hitting up areas between utopia and lost maples at the end of the month.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Good luck, it's one of my favorite rivers.

FYI, I had an encounter with a landowner near the RR 187 crossing by Foster Rd last summer. They claimed the river was private and I was trespassing. I disputed claiming I access via a leagl ROW and cited the Small Bill but left since the we were both steadfast each of us were correct. Long Story short, I reached out to TPWD and GLO and they came back stating the river is navigable and public to recreate in.

You can read about it here: Lone Star Chronicles
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Very interesting! We have had issues in the past with the whole "navigable water" issue close to that area. My father in law is a lawyer and we have had great discussions on the topic. Thanks for the link to the article.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

If you'd like a copy of the GLO's response I'll be more than happy to email it to you. You could keep it in your back pocket in case a game warden or sheriff officer gets called on you. (I wouldn't show it to the land owner, just law enforcement if the situation arises).