Viking Chill Pod VS Insulated Fish Bag

Struggle

Viking Chill Pod VS Insulated Fish Bag

Post by Struggle »

I will be purchasing a Viking Reload in the near future and I am looking for feedback on which catch storage option has performed better as far as keeping ice. I will mostly be fishing in freshwater for Sand Bass and Striper and don't foresee needing to store any long fish but you never know.

If a fish bag is the way to go, would it better to buy a different brand bag that is more efficient than the Viking's brand bag or possibly have one made to fit? I greatly appreciate everyone's opinion, thank you very much!
Snow plow

Re: Viking Chill Pod VS Insulated Fish Bag

Post by Snow plow »

I have not used the chill pod but a lot of saltwater anglers do well with it both inshore and offshore.

I personally use the Viking fishbag that fits into the tank well and it holds ice well when I go offshore during the summer. I usually bring a 10 or 20 pound bag of ice and a frozen water bottle or two. I usually have some ice remaining after a trip.

I went with the bag because its lower in profile, and I found it easier to grab beverages etc out of it when sitting in the boat. (I tested this out in the shop). It also has a mesh pocket that I use to store a drift sock, gaff etc. On the other hand, I'm sure the pod will last longer and you can mount things onto it as well. Good luck with your choice, I think both are suitable for a day on the water.