Solo Skiff

210STEVE

Solo Skiff

Post by 210STEVE »

What's y'alls opinion on choosing a solo skiff vs a kayak ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tombo

Re: Solo Skiff

Post by Tombo »

It is what it is. Seen folks rave about it. Seen quite a few for sale. Its a personal thing. Question is, does a particular craft fit your needs.
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

one of the big advantages are that they increase your range, and once you get your sea legs it opens up a whole new world of fishing opportunities. you can use the motor to get you where you want to go and then pull it up and pole/paddle the area.

the cons are the same as a boat. registration, motor maintenance, trailering and trailer maintenance . it can be launched from a truck bed, but i wouldn't recommend it. you're looking at around 4k by the time you do all the paperwork and rig it out.

storage is an issue because the main compartment is under the seat hatch. if you get creative with attachments and storage pockets it will make life much easier.

my biggest headache is launching and loading because the trailer mine came with was too long to fit in the garage. with some help from a fellow tkf'r we moved the bunks forward and did a little chopping/welding to get it to fit. the downside is i can't drive the skiff all the way on the trailer b/c the motor would hit the square frame in the back. in the future i may try and get a smaller trailer that will allow the back end to hang off the rear a little bit so i can drive it all the way on.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

I'd buy a solo in a heartbeat if I lived in the keys or Everglades. Range is a big plus. For Tejas, I'm happy with my yak.

210STEVE

Post by 210STEVE »

Most of My fishing would be around San Antonio Texas lakes ,rivers and I also go down to the coast between Corpus Christi Texas and Matagorda bay . So this is why I'm debating

hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

The other big advantage is that you can get out when it's too windy to paddle. My first saltwater trip in mine was a week on the coast. Naturally, I picked the windiest week of the season......... The first day out I was driving through -- not over -- the waves at half throttle in St. Charles Bay; no way I could have fought that in a kayak. We have made several trips where it was too windy to paddle, but i was able to tow my companions' kayaks to protected water, and we were able to fish. It's a major advantage when your time off schedule isn't flexible.
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

Now I've been looking at Solos more and more since this post popped up. Another place it'd shine is crossing bays and lagoons to get to parts of the back-barrier that only boats typically reach. At 20 mph, you could cross most lagoons/bays in around 15 minutes and be fishing while a kayaker would still be an hour and a half or more away. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

Cuervo Jones wrote:Now I've been looking at Solos more and more since this post popped up. Another place it'd shine is crossing bays and lagoons to get to parts of the back-barrier that only boats typically reach. At 20 mph, you could cross most lagoons/bays in around 15 minutes and be fishing while a kayaker would still be an hour and a half or more away. Hmmmmmmmmmmm
typically a 6 hp with normal load out most are in the 15-16 mph range depending on how the motor is trimmed and a few other things. I can tell you that going even that fast isn't necessary and it's not something i enjoy doing unless it's ice cream conditions. even at 10 mph it beats the heck out of paddling and the gas lasts a lot longer!
Cuervo Jones
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Cuervo Jones »

10 mph is still pretty good. There's a couple on Craigslist now that I keep eyeballing. Dammit!!! I already blew my beer money for the month.

hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: New Caney ............... OK Trident 13, Dagger Cayman, OK Torque, Soloskiff

Post by hipshot »

I love speed -- in a pad vee hull. Used to live for those crisp fall mornings with the lake like glass, my jack plate up high, and my Stratos aired out at over 70......

The 12 mph +/- I get with my Solo is plenty; I just appreciate the range and the ability to defeat the wind. With the 5HP Tohatsu, my three fly rods and all my gear, and me aboard it actually floats shallower than my Torque, and I can run on plane in a little over a foot of water. What my friends all appreciate at the end of the day though, is my tow rope :wink: And I fish all week on less than a gallon of fuel.
castin4fish

Post by castin4fish »

Thanks 210STEVE for posting. I too am bending toward a SOLO Skiff. Same exact reason plus the advantage of standing up and stretching. I have an OK 13.6' and a WS 135 ride. I also live in San Antonio and visit Rockport often. It seem every time I head to the coast its windy, well lets say windier than normal for the coast. Im familiar with the bay systems all the way to POC. Of course I wouldn't expect to go that far from GISP, but it would be nice to head to some of the smaller bays around Aransas bay. It sounds like the SOLO would give me the freedom to do just that. I guess my biggest question for now owners is this. Is the Solo as stable as bragged about? I can't sit all that long in a kayak seat. I need to get up and move around. If Im out on a bay and need to get up, stretch, move my equipment or take a lunch break by digging into my ice chest is it that stable? I understand its not a boat, but I need some kind of mobility. Trying to pack a day on my OK and reach things after setting and fishing for several hours kills me. Im not as limber as I was once so trying to reach for things behind me is a workout. Thanks for all the pointers so far on the SOLO. I now have better info to lean on. One last question for the already owners. Where did you buy your SOLO and set up? Thanks again.
hipshot
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by hipshot »

castin4fish, I wouldn't try to breakdance on the gunwale, but it's very stable. Very easy to stand and walk in. I'm not sure you could capsize it without a significant, deliberate effort. You CAN (don't ask) fall out of it. Yep. Was hyperextended while standing on the gunwale, trying to unfoul my fly from a snag, and went in headfirst. My fault, not the skiff's. Probably not for everyone, but I put a stainless quick-detach base in mine for an inexpensive folding swivel seat that increased the comfort level considerably for me. I mount the 3 gallon fuel tank and a 20 qt. RTIC soft cooler behind the seat, and a pair of fly rod holders on extensions behind the seat. One fly rod holder forward, with a sonar unit and a cup holder. The OEM rod tubes are useless, at least for me. Best money I ever spent on a fishing boat.
rayb

Post by rayb »

I'm totally against Solo Skiffs and it has nothing to do with the fact they can't carry my rotund booty :oops: :lol:
They look like a great way to get around
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

i would love to have one.. but just like my yak all I can do is look at it.. can't find time to get out anymore