Alligator Gar

JeffDavis22714

Alligator Gar

Post by JeffDavis22714 »

So I'm really wanting to take the kayak out and to catch some big fish and I figured one of the best ways to do that is to go after some big alligator gar in the trinity. Does anyone have any spots where I can put in near livingston/Houston for some big catfish/gar. Also, what should I use as bait/ as a rig. I know how to catch catfish but for the bigger gar in a kayak would I fish on bottom or with a cork? Amy advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff
JeffDavis22714

Re: Alligator Gar

Post by JeffDavis22714 »

Also I would prefer a location where I don't need to park under a bridge littered with trash and graffiti. Thanks :D
MobyYack
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: On the road between Humble & Galveston - Aboard the Pequod - Just below Cpt. Ahab's knee

Post by MobyYack »

alligator gar hang out in luce bayou...ive seen them but have never caught one. i would love to try to catch one but we spent a few hours out there one night without a single bite. ive seen them rolling over in the daytime though....
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

Jigawatt

Post by Jigawatt »

The best bait I have found for alligator gar is gizzard shad under a cork. Finding gizzard shad big enough to use for bait can be problematic. I catch them by castnet. Mullet and saltwater shad work pretty well. Freshwater (non-gamefish) under a cork will work, such as freshwater drum and bluegill. But gizzard shad is the main food source for gar. Set your bait for about halfway in the water column. In deep water, this means using a slip cork. I don't know the Trinity river well enough to help you there. Most of my gar fishing is Sam Rayburn or Galveston Bay. I've caught some monsters out of Offatts Bayou.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

From what I have seen, Falcon Lake is a MAJOR alligator gar producer. The state park or Zapata makes a nice trip there.
jharry3

Post by jharry3 »

Best results I have had with big gar is use a fresh fish cut in half for bait hanging under a large popping cork.
If a gar notices it he will move it around, mouth it, swimming around, etc. If you try to set the hook while this is happening you will probably miss. You need to wait until he has it maneuvered and swallows. He will start to swim away strongly.
That's when you set the hook. And you need to really set it because they have really tough skin and bone.
Then just fight it with out horsing it in. When it gets close it will make some enormous pulls to get away but not necessarily long runs. You need some sort of appliance to haul it in.
The jaws are full of highly infected needle sharp teeth and the gill covers are sharp.
If the hook is swallowed extracting it will probably cause them to die slowly.
Not sure what you will do with it though. They are hard to clean and the meat isn't that tasty.
I only caught some big ones a few times just to say I did it but decided I didn't want to kill them just for the fun of it so stopped trying for them.