Dwight Eisenhower Park Pond

Bass Slayer

Dwight Eisenhower Park Pond

Post by Bass Slayer »

I'm new to fishing in the Houston area. Has anyone had luck catching bass at the pond in D. Eisenhower park? Just curious to know if there are any bass in there?
Cityfisher

Re: Dwight Eisenhower Park Pond

Post by Cityfisher »

Before I got a kayak I used to go to that park to bank fish quite a bit. Never have I seen anyone fishing there though. That could mean you might have some luck. Only one way to find out! :) There are signs that Alligators could be present also.

I always kept on driving and fished the Big Eddie. I usually park on the side of the road and fish near that spillway in that eddie. (look on google earth if you can) Usually away from anyone else. The fishing was always slow but I did manage a few here and there. It's very scenic and I like the area. I had my best luck throwing a plastic topwater frog bouncing it across the weeds and over stumps.
dwayne

Post by dwayne »

20 years ago I used to catch a few there, nothing big but pretty water. I think it's fished out pretty good as far as Bass. TPW stocks trout every winter in there. And I did see a 50lb catfish come out of there back when I fished there. I mentally made fun of the old man with a surf rod and spark plugs for weights fishing that little pond....Until it started ripping drag and he asked me to help net it. I felt like a dummy after he explained that it was about 50ft deep on one end and when the San Jacinto River flooded down there they got stuck in there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Bass Slayer

Post by Bass Slayer »

dwayne wrote:20 years ago I used to catch a few there, nothing big but pretty water. I think it's fished out pretty good as far as Bass. TPW stocks trout every winter in there. And I did see a 50lb catfish come out of there back when I fished there. I mentally made fun of the old man with a surf rod and spark plugs for weights fishing that little pond....Until it started ripping drag and he asked me to help net it. I felt like a dummy after he explained that it was about 50ft deep on one end and when the San Jacinto River flooded down there they got stuck in there.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Thank you both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

fished it several times not worth the effort
Bass Slayer

Post by Bass Slayer »

larry long shadows wrote:fished it several times not worth the effort
Thank you Larry!!! Do know of a good pond that you don't mind sharing? Looking to take my 5 year old to cast a few. Hopefully, one without any gators.
Bass Slayer

Post by Bass Slayer »

Well, then that's the end of it. Thank you!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

i even fished it when they dump the trout with no luck
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Bass Slayer wrote:
Thank you Larry!!! Do know of a good pond that you don't mind sharing? Looking to take my 5 year old to cast a few. Hopefully, one without any gators.
well ill give it some thought but the pond at Herman park is full of bream and bass ..only kids and adults over 65(im68) can fish it I often ride my bike there and fish it with my 3wt fly rod .. bet a box of worms would kill them ..
Bass Slayer

Post by Bass Slayer »

larry long shadows wrote:
Bass Slayer wrote:
well ill give it some thought but the pond at Herman park is full of bream and bass ..only kids and adults over 65(im68) can fish it I often ride my bike there and fish it with my 3wt fly rod .. bet a box of worms would kill them ..
Thank you!