Question on Malone Kayak Trailers

txagfisher99

Question on Malone Kayak Trailers

Post by txagfisher99 »

I'm considering getting a small trailer capable of hauling 4 kayaks. I found a Malone one on Amazon and am curious if anyone on here has one and what they think about them.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Shaun Russell

Re: Question on Malone Kayak Trailers

Post by Shaun Russell »

Malone makes quality products.
Tallgrass07

Post by Tallgrass07 »

I have a Malone trailer and bought the retractible tongue, kickstand, and spare tire. I like the sealed wheel bearings and retractible tongue, and see that Malone has an add-on kit so you can carry more kayaks. I no longer use the foam blocks for cushioning, I zip tied pool noodles on the bars. Here's the review I wrote for Austin Canoe & Kayak:

I ordered this package from ACK and included the retractable tongue, the spare tire, and the kickstand. Alas, ACK didn’t ship the retractable tongue so I had to wait for final assembly. Putting it together was pretty straightforward, a socket wrench set with some deep sockets will be your friend. It’s pretty sturdy, I like the sealed bearings, the kickstand makes it easy to wheel around, and it stands up in the garage for storage and still leaves room for my truck. The online instructions and illustrations don’t match what’s in the boxes and Malone should update those. An example is the protective rubber caps that top some big U-bolts. I thought they were missing because the photos at Malone’s web site shows them, but Malone discontinued using them. I didn’t care for the twist-on wire connectors or quick splices, so I soldered all the electrical connections. I also didn’t like just having the wires exposed and running through holes with sharp edges, so I enclosed them in wire conduit. The wiring instructions for the trailer should include instructions for wiring if you have the retractable tongue kit or plan to add it. I knew the wiring would change with the retractable tongue, so I ran the wires in a way that seemed more sensible. Malone recommended their SaddleUp Pro carriers, but those did not fit the shape of my Native Ultimates, so I returned them and went with foam blocks for cushioning. I had to buy the 78” wide cross bars to fit my two kayaks on the trailer nicely. It is a hassle having to wait to get the paperwork for a title from ACK. Fortunately, my state doesn’t require a title so I could start using the trailer right away. The trailer tows very nicely, it weighs enough that it doesn’t bounce around but it’s light enough to push upright for storage.
Attachments
trailer4.jpg
trailer1.jpg
txagfisher99

Post by txagfisher99 »

Thank you. This is very helpful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk