Paddle Boards vs Kayaks

water in my beer

Paddle Boards vs Kayaks

Post by water in my beer »

Saw a board for sale on another thread and it made me think about the benefits of paddle boards vs. kayaks. I have both and since I got my Bote board about three years ago I hardly use my kayak. I love the weight of the board and how easy it is to load up and carry, I also like the fact that even though I have a pole rack and can mount the yeti to it for a seat and beer cooler, it has forced me to become somewhat of a minimalist in what I carry with me. Also, if the conditions are right just reeling in your lure will pull you along and acts like a trolling motor. Its also great during the warm months when you can throw your legs into the water and cool down.

However, if the conditions are remotely windy prepare to get frustrated with trying to stay in the same place for any amount of time. Using during the cold months is not impossible because you stay much dryer than you suspect, but I am not comfortable wearing alot of clothing when out on the water. Especially, with the risk of falling off. Obviously, it takes some getting used to regarding balancing and for some almost impossible. There have also been times, such as this weekend, when you want a specific lure but realized you didn't pack it because of storage issues. Probably should of used the yeti to store lures instead of beer.

Kayaks obviously have their perks, easy to transport, allow for plenty of storage, and a comfortable place to sit. However, for some they are heavy and bulky. If you turtle one they can be hard to get back in. They also have their own issues to deal with when it comes to the wind.

I was just wandering what your opinions on the board vs. kayak are? Do some of yall own both and prefer one over the other, or have you tried one and decided this wasn't for you?
Cigarsnjeeps

Re: Paddle Boards vs Kayaks

Post by Cigarsnjeeps »

I'm struggling with this right now. I like the adjustable seats on alot of the kayaks out there for comfort, but I also like to stand when I fish. Storage is also important to me along with decent tracking. I have a couple units I am currently looking at:

Lure 11.5
Diablo Amigo

The Lure is rigged up pretty nice, but us bulky and will need more money put into it for a rudder.

The diablo is bare and you have to add everything separately, but I like that it's rotomolded and you can pack away the seat and walk all over it...

@cigarsnjeeps on IG and Twitter
nicholasgarmin98

Re: Paddle Boards vs Kayaks

Post by nicholasgarmin98 »

I don't know, for me the added security of a kayak just seems better, especially for myself, being able to fish year round in just about any conditions outweighs the convince of a paddle board. Also with my kayak I can just about fit a whole tackle store in it, and seeing how I'm a bit of a tackle junkie it's a necessity.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk