Anyone fish the Reservoir ( Bear Branch Pk) The Woodlands?

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Anyone fish the Reservoir ( Bear Branch Pk) The Woodlands?

Post by richg99 »

For the first time I dropped my PB into Lake Woodlands this morning. I kept the motor speed at no-wake, but, still later found out that the whole lake is NO MOTORS at all, except for Trolling Motors. My trolling motor would have been OK. I used it 90% of the time I was there.

Next time, I will just bring my yak instead. I had a good morning, losing three and catching one LM bass.

Since The Woodlands is about a 40-minute drive, compared to two hours for me to go to the coast, I am considering trying The Reservoir later this week.

Any input would be appreciated. I don't need honey holes or anything like that. Just launch info. Any parking, dragging, obstructions, etc. type of information, please.

regards, richg99
Attachments
Pcropped1010580.JPG
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Anyone fish the Reservoir ( Bear Branch Pk) The Woodlands?

Post by richg99 »

Sorry for the confusing title. I just found out that the name of the park at The Reservoir in the Woodlands is Lakeside Park, not Bear Branch park.

Any help appreciated. richg99
tonyg35

Post by tonyg35 »

Have not been there yet. I actually live just south of there. Planning to go to Lake Woodlands Saturday to see if I can have some luck. I heard there is a good amount of walking distance for Bear branch reservoir from the parking lot.
volintexas

Post by volintexas »

You will need a cart. It is probably about 150 yards from the parking lot to the launch. I've been trying to get there to check it out, but plans keep falling through.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Thanks, I pretty much always have my cart with me. My old back is beyond carrying my yaks. Ha Ha

Any idea what is in there? The poster above said crappie. I presume some LM bass and catfish. Anything else that anyone has heard of?
richg99
volintexas

Post by volintexas »

richg99 wrote:Thanks, I pretty much always have my cart with me. My old back is beyond carrying my yaks. Ha Ha

Any idea what is in there? The poster above said crappie. I presume some LM bass and catfish. Anything else that anyone has heard of?
richg99
I'm not sure what is in there, but from what I've heard, you are correct about there being crappie, LMB, and catfish.

I hope to see a report soon!
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

richg99 wrote:For the first time I dropped my PB into Lake Woodlands this morning. I kept the motor speed at no-wake, but, still later found out that the whole lake is NO MOTORS at all, except for Trolling Motors. My trolling motor would have been OK. I used it 90% of the time I was there.

Next time, I will just bring my yak instead. I had a good morning, losing three and catching one LM bass.

Since The Woodlands is about a 40-minute drive, compared to two hours for me to go to the coast, I am considering trying The Reservoir later this week.

Any input would be appreciated. I don't need honey holes or anything like that. Just launch info. Any parking, dragging, obstructions, etc. type of information, please.

regards, richg99
Hey richg99, I live in the Magnolia area and fish both Lake Woodlands, and Bear Branch Res exclusively outta my yak. Lake Woodlands has a channel through the center of the lake from Panther Creek (Research Forest dr bridge) all the way to the dam. If you have electronics, you can find it. Also any of the docks can pay off due to the lack of cover. Main lake points south of the bridge are not to be passed up either. The only spot left with unimproved shoreline is a short stretch on the east side, but won't stay that way long because they are developing the "island" it passes behind. They were building bulk head there so it could be gone any time now.The lake is not that deep and the water gets warm fast, thus the bites slow down in the summer months. North Shore Park is getting outta control on the weekends due to population and vendors. So if you go, go early, and park so that you wont get blocked in...

Bear Branch Reservoir is an interesting place... The eco system there is booming. You will need a cart to get from the parking lot to the launch (which is just a pad), and the first 100 yards or so heading out are dirty due to lots of vegetation. It will remain shallow until mid lake and then it will began to deepen. This place is FULL of vegetation so weedless, weightless, and topwater are the best bet. There are a few hole here and there that will hold good fish. Don't let the haul down to the launch pad, or the vegetation discourage you, this place can be a blast... I like the fact that a lot of folks are discouraged by it, it keeps it what it is. After dark,,, this place comes alive...
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

yeah north shore park has gotten ridiculous. someone blocked me in last time and i luckily parked right in front where i could at least hop the curb to get out. that and on my way back right in front of the launch some goofy teenage girl on a paddle board took off and paddled right in front of me. she won't last too long if she pulls that crap driving a car. it may be a while before i go back there, it was way more trouble that it was worth.
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

CruisinSexyHD wrote:yeah north shore park has gotten ridiculous. someone blocked me in last time and i luckily parked right in front where i could at least hop the curb to get out. that and on my way back right in front of the launch some goofy teenage girl on a paddle board took off and paddled right in front of me. she won't last too long if she pulls that crap driving a car. it may be a while before i go back there, it was way more trouble that it was worth.
I have climbed the curb too. The lady in the BMW next to me looked on in horror as I put it in 4 low and belched black smoke while slowly rolling over the curb.
They really need a "Launch Only" ramp elsewhere on the lake. Anyone carrying in on a trailer, be it boat or kayaks, should park strategically. People will not hesitate to block you in.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yep. I was almost blocked in the last time I went to North Shore park. Two school buses were in front of me ( they belonged there, as far as I can tell). Nearly every other spot was filled with single cars, taking up the entire trailer parking lot. This was during the week, too.

Pulling up into the LAST trailer parking area was a woman and her child. I was lucky to get to her before she closed up the car. I asked her to please move over one stall, behind the school buses , so that I could put my trailer in. She was happy to do it, and even moved her car all of the way over to where cars were supposed to be parked!!!!

It is a constant problem with trailer parking areas. Many people have NO IDEA what those long parking spots are even for. Lots of signs and some warning stickers might help, but, soon..... another batch of uninformed parkers will arrive.

I shouldn't complain. I don't live in the Woodlands so I have no standing.

regards, richg99
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

It's my understanding that a renovation of the park is is the process, or at least bidding is underway. The plan is supposed to include a new boat house which will rid the parking lot of the storage containers the rowing club is keeping their boats in. This will free up a dozen or more parking spaces, in addition to parking lot expansion (if there is any planned at all). Hopefully it gets better afterwards.
Weeskers

Post by Weeskers »

Went out to Bear Branch with my 2 sons for the first time in the kayak on Sunday 5/1. My oldest son caught his first bass on a top water on the north side shoreline down about 100 ft from the dam. That was the only fish of the day but we had a blast paddling around and exploring. I went out again after work yesterday afternoon and snagged a couple of bass on a spinnerbait fishing the points between the launch and the dam on the north side. The picture of the first one didn't take but it was about the same size as the one in the pic. I also caught a crappie while playing around and trolling a crank bait across the lake about 50 yards up from the dam.
Attachments
bbr ty bass 5.1.16.JPG
bbr me bass 5.4.16.JPG
bbr me crappie 5.3.16.JPG
yngc277

Post by yngc277 »

Any updates on Bear Branch? Planning to head there this afternoon with my yak...but no cart. Hoping there’s a shorter path!! Ha
WoodsWaterSky

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

yngc277 wrote:Any updates on Bear Branch? Planning to head there this afternoon with my yak...but no cart. Hoping there’s a shorter path!! Ha
It's a workout without a cart. I did that once, and that was on my first trip there. I was with a buddy and we carried one yak full of gear at a time and it was a job. The upside is, if you can read the place, it can be rewarding. Good luck!
yngc277

Post by yngc277 »

Thanks for the warning (haha)...a guy at the office just showed me a place called river grove park right here in kingwood that has a launch...figured between the 11 min drive and easy access...i might just try it out. Save the embarrassment of breaking down and crying when i realize I’m too old to be hauling my yak that far!! Haha! Thanks again!!!
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: Anyone fish the Reservoir ( Bear Branch Pk) The Woodlands?

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

yngc277 wrote:Thanks for the warning (haha)...a guy at the office just showed me a place called river grove park right here in kingwood that has a launch...figured between the 11 min drive and easy access...i might just try it out. Save the embarrassment of breaking down and crying when i realize I’m too old to be hauling my yak that far!! Haha! Thanks again!!!
You're welcome. It's a place worth trying at least once. It's a couple hundred yards to the launch, then a hundred yards or so thru vegetation and muk to reach good water, but can be fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
WoodsWaterSky

Re: RE: Re: Anyone fish the Reservoir ( Bear Branch Pk) The Woodlands?

Post by WoodsWaterSky »

yngc277 wrote:Thanks for the warning (haha)...a guy at the office just showed me a place called river grove park right here in kingwood that has a launch...figured between the 11 min drive and easy access...i might just try it out. Save the embarrassment of breaking down and crying when i realize I’m too old to be hauling my yak that far!! Haha! Thanks again!!!
You're welcome. It's a place worth trying at least once. It's a couple hundred yards to the launch, then a hundred yards or so thru vegetation and muk to reach good water, but can be fun.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
thechucked

Post by thechucked »

I was planning on hitting River Grove this weekend, but wasn't sure if the ramp was still there after Harvey. If anyone knows or wants to meet up, let me know, I'll probably check it out on Sunday.