Local Bayou Fishing

yakinthebox

Local Bayou Fishing

Post by yakinthebox »

Went to a local honey hole of mine last Wednesday after work. I caught 3 small bass and this chunk. About a 4 lber...

I was using a Gulp plastic worm working it slowly on the bottom. Most of the hits came on the inital sink. The bigger one came while the worm was just sitting there as I got distracted by a jumping mullet...
Attachments
horsepen bass.jpg
quibbly

Re: Local Bayou Fishing

Post by quibbly »

yakinthebox wrote:Went to a local honey hole of mine last Wednesday after work. I caught 3 small bass and this chunk. About a 4 lber...

I was using a Gulp plastic worm working it slowly on the bottom. Most of the hits came on the inital sink. The bigger one came while the worm was just sitting there as I got distracted by a jumping mullet...

Nice fish. I had the same thing last Wednesday. Bass were just biting like crazy around 5-6:30.
Jlnknprk3

Post by Jlnknprk3 »

I just moved to deer park. Had to move up here cause my girl and I just had a baby I don't get much time to go fishing. Where are fresh water ponds to fish around here?
yakinthebox

Post by yakinthebox »

I don't know of any good ponds that are legal to fish in...

I usually stick to the bayous/ditches. There are loads of bass in them though most are 8-14" or so. You do occasionally hook into a solid fish.

The small ones are still fun though when you're using the ultralight....
Jlnknprk3

Post by Jlnknprk3 »

Where are the ditches/bayou located at? I'm don't have a clue where to go
yakinthebox

Post by yakinthebox »

Most are towards the Clear lake area. Google Earth is your best friend...
Jlnknprk3

Post by Jlnknprk3 »

I fished this once place called big sloth creek never had any luck there. I pass by by this bayou on 255 and 610 I think called sims bayou. Other then that never went anywhere else. I google earth best friend I didn't find anything for fishing.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Hey, I'm from Deer Park, too !! Maybe we can all get together someday and do some fishing. Were you on Armand or Horse Pen when you caught the bass?
yakinthebox

Post by yakinthebox »

I will say this, it is a bayou that is used to corral horses...

Lol!!!
Jlnknprk3

Post by Jlnknprk3 »

Lol
Noble51

Post by Noble51 »

yakinthebox wrote:I will say this, it is a bayou that is used to corral horses...

Lol!!!
I live near Bay Area Park - have a Fishing Kayak.

Where does the "Brackish" area start for Bass?

I see you caught that beauty in the Horse Corral area :) I'm surprised bass are located that close to Mud Lake / Clear Lake.

Do you happen to know where the Brackish area starts?

I know this post is old - hoping you all see this.
yakinthebox

Post by yakinthebox »

[quote="Noble51"][quote="yakinthebox"]I will say this, it is a bayou that is used to corral horses...

Lol!!![/quote]

I live near Bay Area Park - have a Fishing Kayak.

Where does the "Brackish" area start for Bass?

I see you caught that beauty in the Horse Corral area :) I'm surprised bass are located that close to Mud Lake / Clear Lake.

Do you happen to know where the Brackish area starts?

I know this post is old - hoping you all see this.[/quote]

I don't know where the brackish area starts. I'll tell you that I've caught redfish on one cast and channel cat on another in the same spot at Bay Area Park. Horsepen Bayou feeds into Armand Bayou even further south from the park...

Also, in Horsepen, I've seen cats, bass, perch, redfish, gar and even some huge tilapia...

Just give it a try, you don't know if you don't throw!
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

My experience with creeks and bayous is that the freshwater/saltwater line moves around some. Pretty much any bayou, creek or river around here that runs into saltwater will have a saltwater section and if it’s running inland for any distance a freshwater section. There is a statute/legal boundary here
https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outd ... boundaries

Any creek, or just about any creek, river or bayou over 30’ wide on average is considered navigable water and if you can find an access point, you have a right to fish it from your kayak or other craft. I’ve caught redfish, trout, flounder and other mostly saltwater fish on the freshwater side of the boundary. I haven’t caught a whole lot of freshwater fish on the saltwater side, but I haven’t focused on freshwater fish in those areas.
screwston420

Post by screwston420 »

i guess ill give up my lil bass spot in laporte... cast up near tunnels and opposite bank for 4+lb bass... watchout for cotton mouths... https://www.google.com/maps/@29.6808789 ... a=!3m1!1e3

catch and release only... dont you dare eat anything out of that water... especially under a train yard who knows what leaks down from tank cars

bass are up close to the long tunnel that goes under train yard... on otherside of train yard you will notice a pond... 20 ft deep and crystal clear.. you access pond by 146 feeder rd hop curb where bayou intersects 146 south... drive along bayou back to pond. road to pond has locked gate. you willl not get in trouble and there is no no trespassing signs... i even take my dirt bike out there sometimes and had laporte pd come back there walking one time... 2 cops just wondered how i got back there cuz they used to fish the pond b4 they locked that gate at the end of 16th haha stay close to bayou or you will get swallowed hole in the mud along the pipeline.. tons of mullet and gar in there as well, as for the pond.. giant beaver den on the track side of pond and a gator or 2... very very feisty topwater loving young gators that is with no sense... they will come after u if u dont pay attention... followin a lure that is, not in an attacking way