Devil's River Trip

DTP02

Devil's River Trip

Post by DTP02 »

I am doing a three day Devil's River trip next week with some buddies. Only one of us, not me, has done the Devil's before. We are putting in at Del Norte and getting out at Big Satan.

Would love some input from any who have done it before, especially on the following questions:

We are planning to sleep on islands--- does anyone have any coords or mile markers for bigger islands on this stretch?

What did you do for water--- bring your own, filter the river, or drink straight from it and live to tell (so far, anyway ;) )? If filter, what did you use?

What lures were working?

Any gear you found invaluable or wish you'd had?

Thanks for any help! Really looking forward to this trip.
uplandrun

Re: Devil's River Trip

Post by uplandrun »

I did it last spring with six other guys. Use soft plastics, purple worm worked good as well as watermelon color and creature type soft plastics. I did not use a fluke but I wish I would have known about flukes when I went. I would guess flukes would work good. I fish the fluke all over the hill country with great success now. The fishing was tough when we went. I stopped the casting back and forth against the bank and started slow trolling behind the yak about twenty to thirty feet in the middle where brush was and also paralleling the bank. This was more effective I got a black that almost went 5 pounds. If casting back and forth works that's good, but if not try trolling, but keep the lure way back away from the yak.

We did a two night and camped on islands, I don't remember the location but I do remember the brush that had to be cleared. We all took machetes and looked like mad men clearing out a place to camp. Make sure to take a couple of machetes.

You will have to bring a water purifier in some form or fashion. No way you can bring that much water on a trip like that. I had one a another guy had one.

bring dry goods like oatmeal, pan cake mix, ten pound bag of potatoes, oil and mre's from walmart.
DTP02

Post by DTP02 »

Thanks for the reply and info!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Don't forget to bring your poop out..with you.. Sanitation: Pack out what you bring in. Cat holes are not acceptable on the Devils River, since there is precious little diggable soil. WAG bags and small, RV flushable potty boxes are appropriate solutions for human waste and can be purchased online.
Last edited by larry long shadows on Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

It will be incredibly hot down in the canyons. Be careful to stay hydrated with water.
walkeraviator

Post by walkeraviator »

larry long shadows wrote:Don't forget to bring your poop out..with you
Or hold it in for three days...
Flats stalker

Post by Flats stalker »

What kind of yaks would be good for this trip, would I be good in a Ultimate?

quote="uplandrun"]I did it last spring with six other guys. Use soft plastics, purple worm worked good as well as watermelon color and creature type soft plastics. I did not use a fluke but I wish I would have known about flukes when I went. I would guess flukes would work good. I fish the fluke all over the hill country with great success now. The fishing was tough when we went. I stopped the casting back and forth against the bank and started slow trolling behind the yak about twenty to thirty feet in the middle where brush was and also paralleling the bank. This was more effective I got a black that almost went 5 pounds. If casting back and forth works that's good, but if not try trolling, but keep the lure way back away from the yak.

We did a two night and camped on islands, I don't remember the location but I do remember the brush that had to be cleared. We all took machetes and looked like mad men clearing out a place to camp. Make sure to take a couple of machetes.

You will have to bring a water purifier in some form or fashion. No way you can bring that much water on a trip like that. I had one a another guy had one.

bring dry goods like oatmeal, pan cake mix, ten pound bag of potatoes, oil and mre's from walmart.[/quote]
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

walkeraviator wrote:
larry long shadows wrote:Don't forget to bring your poop out..with you
Or hold it in for three days...
I think at end of trip just put a can of wolf brand chile in poop bag...Thats if the game warren wants to see your bag
MudDuck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by MudDuck »

Flats stalker wrote:What kind of yaks would be good for this trip, would I be good in a Ultimate?
If you take the Ultimate make sure you have the front spray skirt. If you don't have the skirt I would recommend you get one or use another self bailing kayak.
DesertAngler

Post by DesertAngler »

DT, I went about 6weeks ago, did the same stretch you are doing. We caught the most on dark topwaters (oranges, blacks) early in the day. As it warmed up, we went deep with dark crawfish (reds/greens/blacks). When the water was shallow we worked lots of suspending grubs (large soft plastics no weight). Overall we slayed them, 6 guys probably got 60fish total. Largemouth in the first 15mi, all smallmouth after that. Weather is much warmer now, but the water should be about the same.

If it's you first time, I would stick to the islands for sure. There are dozens of islands <1mile after 3-tier rapid which would be good for your first night. Then there are some more islands around mile marker 27, again all rocks. Note: if you have gone that far, just push on to the paddle campsite at marker 29. That puts you about 1/4mile from Big Satan. That's a lot of paddling in two days, but you are in in a great fishing spot at m29. You could spend day three fishing and not paddling! After this trip, you will know the best spots and you can get more creative.

W.A.G. bag use is "enforced." Several guys got harassed by the GW about not using bags... no proof, no tickets.

PLEASE report back when you return....
How was the fishing? I'm curious about the mid-June bite.
How hot are the rocks? I've been told that camping in the heat on rocks can be unbearable. I was told the rocks don't cool off much, sleeping can be miserable.

I hope you see this before you leave. Hope you have fun.
DesertAngler

Post by DesertAngler »

DT, 3gal of water should get you down the river just fine. I took about 1.5gal and suplemented it with river water, not filtered, didn't get sick. However I fully recommend a filter because it only takes one microbe to ruin your stuff. As far as the kayak, just about anything will work. Some hold more gear, but may ride lower and scrape more rocks. Some are short and good in the rapids, but will get left in the dust on the long stretches in the wind. As long as it floats, you'll be fine. I bought a Cuda14 with this trip in mind because of the rod tip cover, gear storage, and fishability. The Coosa or Ride might be the best thing for this river however.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ANY LOCAL KAYAK RENTAL OPTIONS? I bought my own but my friends are renters, and our only option is Jay Murr. He is salt of the earth, but his yaks are not in good shape and he is pricey. I need another options.
uplandrun

Post by uplandrun »

Don't forget to bring boat repair supplies. I took a five day trip on the Pecos three yrs ago and suffered the consequences of not doing so. My son and I drug holes n both yaks. Bring epoxy and shoe goo. Look up my post from three yrs ago.
DTP02

Post by DTP02 »

It was a fantastic trip! Thanks to those who gave input and advice. We caught a break with the weather as it rained lightly the night before and morning of, and the temps were low to mid 80s the first two days before it warmed up to normal mid-June temps.

Fishing was pretty good but not great, although i will admit we missed some prime fishing time because we were setting up/breaking down camp, or sleeping in.We caught a decent amount as a group, and saw quite a bit, but I don't think anyone caught anything over 3 pounds. Thanks to whoever had the tip about trolling behind your yak. We caught a few that way while paddling.
uplandrun

Post by uplandrun »

Good to hear that all went well. Got any pics?