camping spot on San Marcos between Martindale and Fentress

yakinthebox

camping spot on San Marcos between Martindale and Fentress

Post by yakinthebox »

Looking at doing a kayak/camping trip on the San Marcos next month and was wondering where some good camping spots would be. I don't really see any sandbars or islands. So does anyone know if there are good campgrounds right on the river?

We were going to do the Gaudalupe but the flow is too low currently. If it comes up before early next month then this whole post might be null and void.

Thanks in advance for any help....
Roostertail-Tx

Re: camping spot on San Marcos between Martindale and Fentress

Post by Roostertail-Tx »

Pecan RV and Blind Salimador RV park are two good ones right next to the water. Been trying to get to Pecan because of all the extras. But no Tents allowed at Pecan.

I have heard that Dons let people say overnight. Not sure if they still do or not.
Last edited by Roostertail-Tx on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
yakinthebox

Post by yakinthebox »

We just stayed at Pecan Park and I personally didn't care for it. Way to crowded and the staff was just rude... Especially the security gaurd who was on a power trip. He wanted to tell you everything you do wrong while at the same time reeking of Marijuana. I thought about calling the cops on him but I'm just not the "Narc" type...

Plus that is actually in San Marcos, we're looking S. of San Marcos between Martindale and Fentress... Trying to stay away from the crowds of Tubers around San Marcos... They are crazy and drinking way to much. Super annoying...
Roostertail-Tx

Post by Roostertail-Tx »

I am glad you reply back on staying there - Yak in the Box Awesome name and pic by the way.

I have heard the exact complaints you just mentioned - Looks like you have changed my mind on ever going there.

Try this place its just off the main river, and there is camping.

http://www.spencercanoes.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go into Fentress all you will get is this place and they are a fancy place
http://www.leisureresort.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cougmantx

Post by cougmantx »

I've been camping at Spencers since Tom Goines owned it (early 80s) I recommended it.
Roostertail-Tx

Post by Roostertail-Tx »

Be aware that you must register before camping there. They are not allowing walkins anymore.
sac-a-lait

Post by sac-a-lait »

I highly recommend the Leisure resort it really nice there, you can rent a cabin pitch a tent or we like to stay in the treehouses. The treehouses are nothing but a one room cabin elevated of the ground with a couple of bunks and an air conditioner. I think there is also a small refrigerator, they have a small porch and a picnic table underneath them. We just take some linens, pillows, an extra air mattress and the radio. They have nice bathrooms with showers just a short walk away. Its been a few years since we stayed there but I think we just paid about 20$ a night. They have a lot of amenities and its nothing fancy but a nice place to stay right on the river.