Lake texana

sjthompson

Lake texana

Post by sjthompson »

Has anyone fished texana with any luck or put in at this location off 59 south?
Attachments
image.jpg
dtrojcak

Re: Lake texana

Post by dtrojcak »

I've fished there once, putting in at that ramp. Set a few jug lines and fished R&R. We had a few bites, but caught nothing.
I've heard catfishing is prime this time if year.
I started a thread asking for advice also, I didn't receive much response.
sjthompson

Post by sjthompson »

Thanks yeah I catch a lot of cats on my grandparents lake but I'm am sick of the same areas that's why I'm just google map hunting for spots lol. I love the look of texana I just want to hit some spots that are new in my scanoe. Hey that rhymed lol. You know of any good areas down there for bass or any fish besides catfish?
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

Coleto Creek is supposed to be good for bass and crappie. I've never fished there myself though.
There is no free access though. You have to enter through park.
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

There's gotta be someone else who has fished these areas.
sjthompson

Post by sjthompson »

Yeah I hear coleto is good too even great. But I have never fished it. I love fishing creeks and areas like the spot I marked on the map but its so hard to find a area that I can get too and not have to worry about my car being towed. I always pray that I don't paddle back to a missing vehicle lol.
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

The spot you marked is a public boat ramp maintained by LNRA. As long as you aren't blocking the ramp, you won't be towed. There's room for at least 10 trucks and trailers. I've never seen more than 2 others when I was there.
There's also another one on the other side of 59, on the Ganado side of the water about the same as the one you marked.
sjthompson

Post by sjthompson »

It may be worth a shot then just for fun. I don't mind getting my line wet anywhere.
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

Did you end up going?
sjthompson

Post by sjthompson »

No I have not gone yet. I have been trying other places closer to home.
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

I got my start kayakfishing from that spot over 15 years ago. Texana looked a bit more like a lake back then, but it was always muddy or murky water. I caught a few largemouth, white bass, and crappie using curly tail jigs there at the mouth of the Navidad River. There was a good population of alligators too. I launched from the hwy bridges upstream on the Navidad River and Sandy Creek, but never did catch much. Last time I fished there was May 2009 and I didn't do well then either. If you can get access to upstream or downstream of Coleto Creek that can be fun fishing in a kayak. Colorado River at Fayettville can be good when the river is low, slow and clear.
kd5fic

Post by kd5fic »

Lake texans has a ton of catfish in it, along with some bass and crappie. I would stay away from sandy creek, it is full of giant salvania and I believe tpwd has it closed down trying to contain it. Up the navidad river, there is some really good bass and catfishing. Keep watch for alligators, as there is a ton of them in the lake.

Coleto creek is awesom bass fishing, just not a lot of size to them. Within 500-1000 yards of the park is some of the best bass fishing on the lake. Should have little problem catching a limit out if your yak. Avoid I. The weekends though because of the dense population of idiots jet skis and ski boats that have absolutely no business piloting a powered vessel. Top waters, bass assassins, anything that can be fished in heavy weeds will work well.
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

Fished Texana last week for crappie. Only caught a few white bass though. Fished with jigs on the north side of the lake. There were a few boats out there that were crappie fishing but they were going out in the late afternoon as I was coming back in. All the boats I talked to were planning on using minnows.

Going to try it again tomorrow with minnows and see if that changes anything. Will probably bring my light and try some night fishing for a hour or two after the sun goes down. If anyone wants to go PM me.
Mellow-Yellow

Post by Mellow-Yellow »

Cool lets us know how it goes and where at in the lake you went. Thinking of going during spring break and trying for some crappie. :D
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

Is there a place nearby that sells live minnows?
I can get some in Shiner, but Texana is about a 45 minute drive for me.
I would prefer to buy some locally if possible.
cudagreg
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by cudagreg »

lake texana for me has always been a bust, muddy and stumpy it always takes a lot out of my tackle box with out putting anything im my cooler

but thats just me

its so close to the coast you might as well go find some saltwater
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

Ended up trying to go find some crappie on the north end of conroe. Didnt work out as they were doing a controlled burn and the whole place was covered in smoke. Planning to try Texana again early next week. I dont know where you can get minnows at but I talked with some guys in a boat that were heading out who had minnows so I guess they bought them somewhere.
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

Not exactly the monsters we were looking for, but at least we didn't get skunked.
We found a spot that was holding several undersized cats. We were able to catch about 6 or 7 with only one over 12".
But like they say, a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.
Here's the only legal one caught. It was only 13", but it's my first legal fish out of the kayak.
20133012 Dennis 1st legal kayak fish.JPG
My son was also able to get his first kayak fish.
20130312 Bryan 1st kayak fish.JPG
mwrose777
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by mwrose777 »

Might be late now, but a gas station in Ganado sells live minnows. It's on the west side of 172, I believe it's a conoco and also sells hunts bros pizza.

Edit: using google street view, it might be a citgo.
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

mwrose777 wrote:Might be late now, but a gas station in Ganado sells live minnows. It's on the west side of 172, I believe it's a conoco and also sells hunts bros pizza.

Edit: using google street view, it might be a citgo.
Thanks for the reply.
I'm coming from the Edna side, so Ganado would be a little further for me.
I ended up getting some minnows close to home. They seem pretty hardy. I had them in an old cooler with a aerater and they're still doing fine.
Plus, I don't purchase anything from Citgo. Why support a country that hates us?
NamVetSwiftie

Post by NamVetSwiftie »

dtrojcak wrote:
mwrose777 wrote:Might be late now, but a gas station in Ganado sells live minnows. It's on the west side of 172, I believe it's a conoco and also sells hunts bros pizza.

Plus, I don't purchase anything from Citgo. Why support a country that hates us?
AMEN to your last!!!! When that "Chuckwagon" said that the UN Podium still smelled like sulfur (GW had been there the day before I believe) I about wanted to go into my Lock n Load mode. Just my own personal opinion.

Swiftie....Proud Patriot!!!
dtrojcak

Post by dtrojcak »

Not much better today.
We set out 3 jugs yesterday, baited with liver, perch, and 5-6" mudcats.
The liver jug had a small 12.5" channel cat.
Perch jug was stripped clean.
Mudcat jug had 1 mudcat still alive on hook, other hook was empty, but tangled. Looked like something got off.

Everyone that we talked to yesterday weren't catching anything either.
Most of them seemed to be fishing for white bass though.

Did a lot of "exploring" with the kayak though, so it wasn't a total loss.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Amen brother!
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

For those who it might make a difference, Lake Texana State Park does not exist any more. The state turned it back to the Lavaca-Navidad River Authority. I heard it is now open under a new name but your state pass does not work there anymore.