Marshall Lake off of 249?

MethodMachine

Marshall Lake off of 249?

Post by MethodMachine »

I've been scouting around for nearby ponds/lakes that where I can get a quick fix for some kayak bass fishing.

I saw this lake on Google maps not too far from where I live:

http://www.hookandbullet.com/fishing-ma ... hudson-tx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anybody know anything about it? Is it a good place to kayak fish?
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Marshall Lake off of 249?

Post by richg99 »

Hudson Texas????? is no where near the lake shown on the map. A separate inquiry about Hudson TX shows it is in Angelina county, up near Lufkin, Texas!

And Cut-throat trout in a South Texas lake?? Whoever wrote that information page needs some geography and biology lessons, or maybe cut-throat trout have a much wider range than I thought.

As far as the lake in question, if there is public access, why not? Many ponds and small lakes in the area hold good bass and other fish.

Access is more the issue, though. I, too, would love to fish it if it is open. Might even drag a yak down there. I live a mile or two away, but was not aware of it until now. regards, Rich

p.s. There is a small stocked pond in the Elizabeth Meyer park off of Cypresswood Drive, a few miles to the South-East of the lake you mapped. I doubt if you can yak there, though.

There is another stocked lake about halfway between your/my location, towards the Woodlands. Holds LM bass and Tilapia, I have been told. I can't think of the name of it, but I will re-post if I find it. regards, R
11bangbang

Post by 11bangbang »

this is an old one but has anyone ever scouted out this lake to see if it is accessible?
MethodMachine

Post by MethodMachine »

I did a drive-by and didn't see how it would be accessible.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

I could be wrong but I believe that is part of the YMCA ....or was at one time.

Its pretty grown up all around parts of it , if you could get a yak in the water , I doubt you would be bothered.

MethodMachine wrote:I did a drive-by and didn't see how it would be accessible.

Access tha dirt road from Chasewood Park drive.

I dont live far from it myself , I know last year it was very low because of the lack of rain .... Thought about fishing it once or twice but I just take the extra 20 minutes or so to head down to the San Jacinto below Lake Houston and put in at Good Times Marina or Eisenhower Park for a quick fix.
powerpro69

Post by powerpro69 »

I know Good times marina on the San Jac from years ago, that might be an idea for tomorrow, where's Eisenhower park?
Fargo

Post by Fargo »

That area back there used to be called "The Marshal Tract" named after the real estate agent that put it together. It was sold to Compaq when their world headquarters was across the road. It stretched all the way to Cutten road and up to Louetta. It was sold off in a couple of pieces, the largest was bought by a developer who built the shopping center and medical buildings and some high end homes (Kickarillo I think). It's private.

I actually fished there back in the day, it was a very nice area. Compaq used to have a rec facility back there with boats and even fishing rods. So, I bet there are fish in there but I wouldn't be surprised someone yelled at you for trying to get at them.

Fargo
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

powerpro69 wrote:I know Good times marina on the San Jac from years ago, that might be an idea for tomorrow, where's Eisenhower park?

Eisenhower park is about a half mile north of Good times marina on the river. Basically its part of Duessen Park (lake side) now as the county took it over a few years back .... Just look at the google map of the area below the dam and you'll find it. Its one of my favorite fishing holes because of its productivity and the short drive to get there.
11bangbang

Post by 11bangbang »

I know the place had public access from the feeder of 249 but it's locked up now. I may go try it out from the back side just to see what's back there.
zeos

Post by zeos »

Years ago that land was part of a private recreation area owned by compaq. I have no idea about its current situation though.
Finn Maccumhail
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Finn Maccumhail »

Fargo wrote:That area back there used to be called "The Marshal Tract" named after the real estate agent that put it together. It was sold to Compaq when their world headquarters was across the road. It stretched all the way to Cutten road and up to Louetta. It was sold off in a couple of pieces, the largest was bought by a developer who built the shopping center and medical buildings and some high end homes (Kickarillo I think). It's private.

I actually fished there back in the day, it was a very nice area. Compaq used to have a rec facility back there with boats and even fishing rods. So, I bet there are fish in there but I wouldn't be surprised someone yelled at you for trying to get at them.

Fargo
Nobody is likely to bother you back there. It's all public floodplain now.

And you're correct re: the "Marshall Tract." It was once owned by Pierce Marshall, the old oil guy who was once married to Anna Nicole Smith. If I recall correctly, Gleannloch Farms was the site of his horse ranch.
hollywood82

Post by hollywood82 »

The lake use to be owned by Compaq. It was closed to public and was for employees and there family members. Now when HP bought Compaq they sold all the land on the east side of 249. Now as the fishing goes it was alright years ago but last year drought it dried up so the chance that there are fish is slim. The deeper areas of the lake are in the back so there might be a chance that during the drought there was areas where there was still water but not much.
11bangbang

Post by 11bangbang »

just did the google map search and zoomed in close. the pics are from during the drought. there were only 2 small holes that had water.
Yakked donkey

Post by Yakked donkey »

Good luck on fishing there the law will bust you out there been living here my whole life and I don't even fish there I think the compaq people call sheriffs dept :dance: :horse:
3rd_Coast_Yaker

Post by 3rd_Coast_Yaker »

Just curious to see if anyone ever made it back there, or how its accessible.
gijoe12

Post by gijoe12 »

Ozzy26 wrote:Just curious to see if anyone ever made it back there, or how its accessible.
I got a buddy that fishes Marshall regularly. Smaller bass decent catfish. Not sure how he accesses it but I can try to find out
wshaw1982

Post by wshaw1982 »

The park is open now and you can take a kayak or canoe out Motors of any kind are prohibited.
krackdawg

Post by krackdawg »

Any reports after recent Harvey floods in the area? Is this lake accessible by kayak/ canoe?