Lake Amistad

ReelinTx

Lake Amistad

Post by ReelinTx »

This was the first time I had a chance to get out on the kayak this year and hopefully not the last. Well, it didn't start off so good, I woke up this morning remembering my license had expired at the end of August, so I headed to Wal-Mart. I arrived just before 7:00 to find out they don't have anyone in the sporting goods till 8:00. I was not about to wait for an hour so I went to a convenience store just out side of town where they told me their computer was down, they sent me to another store up the road where they told me they did not have any one there to run the computer. There was only one more store further down the road, so i took the chance and went. After waiting in line I tell the clerk I needed a fishing license and guess what she said.... Yup, you got it! "[Clerk] Our Computer is not working at the moment." Well, back to Wal-Mart I went.

Well, I finally got on the water at about 8:30 and fished till about 2:00p. I started out throwing top waters with no luck, then switched to crank bait and also no luck. So, I went with the trusty Texas Rig and it didn't take long for me to get a strike. The first fish was a 15 incher. Shortly after that while working a small cut, my line got heavy. I set the hook and immediately felt it was a good fish, after a short battle I was able to net it. 21.5 inches and she was a beauty. Those were the only two fish, but that big one was well worth the trip and the early morning headache.
Attachments
This first one got the blood flowing.
This first one got the blood flowing.
This one made me realize how much fun I had been missing.
This one made me realize how much fun I had been missing.
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: Lake Amistad

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Nice. Thanks for sharing the up and down of buying a lic. I always try to get one in the middle of Aug. just in case I need to fish on the 1st of Sept.

How long are you fishing at Amistad?

Good Luck
ReelinTx

Post by ReelinTx »

I am only an hour away so I usually just go for the day when I get a chance. I needed to get out and check things out. My dad just purchased a kayak and will be coming down in a couple of weeks, so I wanted to find some spots for when he comes down.
Thinwater skinner wrote:Nice. Thanks for sharing the up and down of buying a lic. I always try to get one in the middle of Aug. just in case I need to fish on the 1st of Sept.

How long are you fishing at Amistad?

Good Luck
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I just left Amistad this morning. The launch points I normally used were high on a cliff. where are you finding launch points now?
Bigrock
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Bigrock »

Thanks for the report! Nice bass!!! :clap:
AlanC
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AlanC »

Nice fish :clap:
ReelinTx

Post by ReelinTx »

texnomad wrote:I just left Amistad this morning. The launch points I normally used were high on a cliff. where are you finding launch points now?
I usually go to a boat ramp, but on the weekends they tend to get packed. Hwy 277 or Spur 454 are good areas to put in the water. I put in at the Air Force Marina this past time and worked my way toward the dam.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

Very cool! Nice fish! :clap:
pancho vanilla

Post by pancho vanilla »

There is always someone at Wal Mart that can sell you a license . You were not treated right, but I guess that is what you get from them sometimes . I bought mine two weeks ago about 1:00 AM after work .