Rivers vs lakes

t100

Rivers vs lakes

Post by t100 »

I've been fishing rivers with good luck. I want to hit some lakes. Don't have a fish finder yet and was curious of tactics. Thinking of trying bastrop first. Any tips for a newb for lakes? Saftey, do y'all just paddle straight across or stay close to the banks.
Thanks
Jason
saffra
Location: San Marcos, TX/Natchez, MS....Runnin' hoes and makin' money

Re: Rivers vs lakes

Post by saffra »

Jason,

First off, I'll address your safety concerns.......VISIBILITY, VISIBILITY, VISIBILITY.........as one who, like you, primarily fishes rivers rather than lakes, I would say this is the biggest thing to be concerned about. I've fished a few lakes, and when there is pb traffic, I rarely venture too far from shore for fear of being run over. I've had 2 close calls (one on Canyon, the other on Dunlap), and so when fishing a lake, I'm usually too nervous to even enjoy myself. I paddle a bright mango SOT, and wear a bright contrasting colored shirt, and even though I'm a pretty big guy, I think sometimes it's still difficult for a powerboater traveling 30-??? mph to see me in the water until it's almost too late to adjust course. Combine that with a little alcohol, and it's a recipe for potentially ending up dead. Do I still fish lakes? Sure, I do, at times. I just try to stay as close as I can to the shoreline, present as large a visual target as I can to pb'ers, and if I do have to cross open water, I do so as quickly as I can, and ONLY if there are no powerboats or jetskis zipping around.

As for tips and tactics, I like to fish drop-offs around main lake points, and cover/structure in the coves, but that's just where I'm most productive. I'm sure some others will weigh in on this part of your topic, and maybe we can both learn somethin' :D

Jerry
Shadow_Fox

Post by Shadow_Fox »

I have spent all my time so far on canyon lake (SA). I have no problem getting out in the middle but I do keep a watch out for PB. In most cases they watch for me and everyone gets along fine. I don't really do much in the middle so normally I am only on it long enough to cross over and get where I really want to be at. I have some playgrounds I love to get up into and if PB want to try and follow me up in there they are going to hat hitting what I am sitting on.
When I am on the lake I follow the wind patterens, look for sudden drop off that have good structure allowing access to more shollow areas. Check the weather the night before and the morining of, I keep a close eye on the presurre, wind direction and temp. I don't have a FF yet but staying with this program has proven to work very well.
I also suggest getting a topo map of the lake you are planning on going to. Bass pro shop has them for most lakes. It really helps getting to see what it looks like under you (without a FF). I run heavy on the rapala right now but I am moving to the soft lures as well. Gold and perch colors have been working really well for both top and mid range waters. Some times I will drift fish with the wind but in most cases I will tie off to trees or drop anchor depends on what I am looking for.
RiveRover

Post by RiveRover »

Jason why would you want to fish a lake anyway? Lake fish are lazy....... :mrgreen:
t100

Post by t100 »

@mike- if I could fish the riv every weekend, I'd be set! With the lake, I don't need a drop 'n pick up. Just wanting to fish as much as possible. :D

Yep. Need to look at those topo maps before for sure.
@shadow fox- how do you see drop offs with out a depth finder? Is this a water reading trick? On the river I just drop my line or use my paddle, also the bends in the river I know are typically deeper than the flat sections, the bank will also let you know as well.
DNR

Post by DNR »

I used to fish L. Bastrop a lot. It is a fun lake, a power plant lake so a lot of grass. Since it has the park, there are quite a few kayakers and families in rented canoes, the PBers generally look out for you. And the Game Wardens hang out there too (stay out of the "KEEP OUT" areas. Easy ticket there.)

Here's a contour map of Bastrop-
bastrop_contours_wNames.pdf
(609 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
As for safty, it is always foggy there in the mornings so I never paddled across the main lake early. It burns off when the sun comes up and then its safe. Lots of coves to fish until then.

Give me a call before you go and I'll tell you my secret baits. :wink:
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

t100 wrote:@mike- if I could fish the riv every weekend, I'd be set! With the lake, I don't need a drop 'n pick up. Just wanting to fish as much as possible. :D

Yep. Need to look at those topo maps before for sure.
@shadow fox- how do you see drop offs with out a depth finder? Is this a water reading trick? On the river I just drop my line or use my paddle, also the bends in the river I know are typically deeper than the flat sections, the bank will also let you know as well.
This is exactly why I fish lakes most of the time. I find it difficult to get people to work with my schedule, and when I do, they dont always have trucks. Making it more trouble to shuttle.
As said before, visibilty is a big important factor. I have a bright yellow ride 135 with reflective stickers, orange paddle blades, orange life jacket, e.t.c.
AS for the fishing, I like being able to stay in one place longer, move at my own will, not try to dodge obstacles while fishing, and not be concerned about dragging my rig over extremely shallow ripples and such. some people have a real love for paddling, but for me a kayak is a way to get to the fish.
Also, a fishfinder can come in handy when fishing lakes.
I usually stay within 100-200 yards of shore anyway, but sometimes venture out to cross and explore other areas.
I enjoy fishing lakes more, as it just suits my style of fishing, but Still enjoy fishing rivers from time to time.
heron

Post by heron »

It is worth echoing saffra "Visibility, Visibility, Visibility"! Then location. I prefer fishing lakes because I am one of those guys that loves paddling and trolling. I usually try to stay out of the middle of most lakes unless I am targeting a hump. Between the wind, waves, jet skis and power boats it can be hectic. I try to pay attention to points and channels searching for those suspended fish. Usually stay away from trees but will troll the edge of tree lines in the channel. Another favorite area is the transition area where the river or creek runs into the lake. In the summertime to prevent burning up, I prefer the cooler evening and night fishing around lit up boat docks or submerged lights - just make sure you have a light on your kayak with 360 degree visibility. At night I especially stay closer to the bank because of the poor visibility issue and most of the fish are going to also be closer to shore.
windrider

Post by windrider »

I just wish I had some rivers close enough to fish. I always fish lakes, but h really need a good fishfinder so u can find the bait. I have never had any trouble with getting run over, but it could happen.