Guadeloupe River above NB

Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Guadeloupe River above NB

Post by Jerry-rigged »

Do any of ya'll fish the Guadeloupe river between Cannon lake and New Braunsfuls, or the Comal river? I have family in NB and am thinking of trying to fish those rivers this fall/winter. Right now those rivers are canvased with toobers, but with school starting, they should be clearing out soon. I have not done much fresh water fishing, mostly on the small lakes in Sugerland, for small bass and perch. I have a 'small' ultra-light loaded with p-line braid (10lb/2lb dia) that I use to throw crappy-sizes spinners and jigs here, would this be a good place to start, or should I bring my Curado/popping rod? Seems like I hear that most of the Guadeloupe bass are fairly small, and I have landed cats up to 20" and bass up to ~13" with my ultra-light, so I am inclined to use it. Also I would like to go after rainbow trout below the dam, but don't really know what kind of lures to use for them. I used to fish for them in the stocked lakes around Houston, but I just used the power baits; I could never get them to hit a spinner or plastic.

Help Please?

Anyone want to join me? Don't know when yet, but hopefully sometime in September.
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

Ultralight will do!!! I use an ultralight or a flyrod when I fish the rivers. The bass and the perch can be a ton of fun on the lite stuff. I wouldn't bother with the baitcaster for the rivers. Find some small black jigs or olive jigs like crappie jigs. I use wooly booger flies which are similar to crappie jigs. You could actually get some wooly boogers and fish on the ultralight with an Adjust-a-bubble float. The Adjust-bubble allows you to fill it with water for a neutral boyancy but gives weight to the fly for casting. Just an idea... My wife uses an ultralight rigged with a balsa float and live meal worms. Those perch love that too. I also have luck with small inline spinners on the rivers. Or on 4" dark purple or black plastic lizards rigged texas style and fished really slow.

Also, the San Marcos & Blanco rivers are only 15-20 minutes away from New Braunfels. They are great fishing rivers and usually have less traffic than the Comal or Guadelupe.