Anyone use hip waders on a SOT during summer?

Jeffrey

Anyone use hip waders on a SOT during summer?

Post by Jeffrey »

I hate getting back to my car and having a wet crotch and wet feet. Does anyone use breathable hip high waders and wading boots on a sit on top kayak during the summer? How hot would this be?

I often get out of my kayak anyway. Not that I mind walking with water socks, but I think it would be nice to get back to my car and be dry. On the other hand, if I was sweating from the waist down that wouldn't be any better.
chasinspecks

Re: Anyone use hip waders on a SOT during summer?

Post by chasinspecks »

Cant say that I do. I hate getting in my truck with wet clothes as well. I wear columbia pants and shirt when im in my yak and after wading all morning i can usually dry out for the most part in an hour or so.
Aggroman
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Aggroman »

My waders are used from November through February. They are left hanging all the other months. Depending on where i'm at, i'll change into some dry drawers or just drive commando...(just kidding) :lol: . If i've been wet for 6-8 hours on the river, I figure the 15-30 minute drive won't hurt me. Just my opinion and how I do it. Although I couldn't imagine 6-8 hours of of wearing waders in 100 degree weather, even in breathables, that would seem unbearable. I sweat in them in February.
Jeffrey

Post by Jeffrey »

Aggroman wrote:My waders are used from November through February. They are left hanging all the other months. Depending on where i'm at, i'll change into some dry drawers or just drive commando...(just kidding) :lol: . If i've been wet for 6-8 hours on the river, I figure the 15-30 minute drive won't hurt me. Just my opinion and how I do it. Although I couldn't imagine 6-8 hours of of wearing waders in 100 degree weather, even in breathables, that would seem unbearable. I sweat in them in February.
Commando might not be a bad option. Maybe a little more air circulation.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

It wasn't from yakking but I used to have a lot of the driving home wet situation. The solution I finally chose is getting some synthetic underwear to go under my nylon long pants. Then in the car/atruck I would put down a plastic leaf bag to protect the seat and cover it with a beach towel to sit on. Even though my crotch was not totally dry at the start it only took a few minutes to get dry enough for me to be content. I got my "plastic" underwear from both Campmor and Nashbar bike shop.
SlimeyLimey
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Austin, Texas!...........Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Post by SlimeyLimey »

I paddle a Hobie, which means I have the option of pedaling OR paddling. For the long trips I will try to pedal as much as possible. This sometimes leads to the worst case of groinrash ever known to man. So, I tend to wear waders later into the year. In fact I wore them last week in POC, but it was windy, and I think that helped keep me cool.
Last edited by SlimeyLimey on Mon May 30, 2011 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I have a good pair of breathable waters, but I couldn't imagine wearing them this time of year. When it starts to hit the 90's the waders just get way to hot for me. I usually just wear a pair of swimming trunks that dry quickly and put a towel down on the truck seat .
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CityByTheSeaCitizen »

I paddle in board shorts....comando. When I kayak in the summer, I always plan on getting wet.

My wife paddles a native ultimate, and she doesn't get wet, unless she gets out.

Waders are very hot. I often sweat in mine in February and March, much less June.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Man............all day in waders in +80deg weather; sweaty "wedding tackle" on the ride home will be the least of your worries! :o

I recomend a pair of the Magellan or Columbia fishing pants (quick dry types), cut the mesh "junk holders" out of them (those mesh deals will give you horrible chaffing!) and wear a pair of breathable workout underroos (not sure of the brand but sold at Academy).

I either beach launch or boat ramp so I get wet before I even start. End of the day I just change out the long pants for something dry, the workout underwear never seems real wet/damp when I throw on something else.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

If they want to drive home dry, most of the paddlers I know carry extra clothes to make the trip home. Even in the dries of kayaks, you stand a good chance of getting your clothes wet..........it is a water sport!
Doug Poudre
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Doug Poudre »

I like to wear shorts that will dry in the time it takes me to load my gear. Go synthetic!
Maulwalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Maulwalker »

Mythman wrote:If they want to drive home dry, most of the paddlers I know carry extra clothes to make the trip home. Even in the dries of kayaks, you stand a good chance of getting your clothes wet..........it is a water sport!
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner.

I just keep a spare pair of soccer shorts and a towel in my truck for a quick change after fishing. Throw on some dry Tevas, and I'm dry and ready to go.