cant decide...

Guitlucky

cant decide...

Post by Guitlucky »

finally (hopefully...) getting a chance to get out next thursday. Cant decide where to go. Anybody want to go fishing within a one hour drive from New Braunfels? (if the weather works out) Any suggestions? Whats hot right now?
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Re: cant decide...

Post by Thinwater skinner »

I know it is more than an hour's drive, but why not go to Choke Canyon? Go where the big boys/gals swim!!!
elcoyote
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by elcoyote »

I can be on the water at Calliham Park (Choke Canyon) from New Braunfels in 1 hr, 40 minutes. That usually includes a stop at the pure country store on fm 99 for a chopped bbq sammich. My tournament partner was down there this weekend and caught over 20 bass, largest going about 7#. Throw frogs, spinnerbaits, and punch grass with beavers or grass jigs.
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

Sounds tempting, and might even be the way to go since I still havent gotten any cold weather gear. (morning looks to be cold, and warming up to 70) Hopefully during the drive it will get a little warmer!
On the other hand, Its a big lake and Ive only been out there once in a bass boat along time ago, and a couple times from shore.
Maybe if someone wants to show me where they keep the fish in that lake, It might be worth the trip!
Otherwise I think ill just go hit up calaveras and chase some cats around.
elcoyote
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by elcoyote »

HA! I was going to show you a shoreline to fish on Google Maps, but wouldn't you know it, the entire Calliham park is covered by a cloud in the most recent satellite photo...

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Choke+Can ... 2&t=h&z=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So basically, go to the Calliham boat launch, paddle around the jetty, and work that shoreline. Very few gators there, and there are a lot of fish to be found there. A few weeks ago, there was enough hydrilla there to punch, and quite a few fish hanging out there. Best thing is, the shoreline is fairly well protected (until you get out to the main lake) from the wind, and if the weather does come up, you can just paddle to shore, drag your yak on the bank, and walk back to the boat ramp to get your truck. Good luck!
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

Welll, thanks for the tip! If I chicken out this time, Ill definately use it some other time!
It figures about the cloud ha ha.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

My favorite Thursday, by myself trip would a little up and back at Rebecca Creek Road Crossing.

If you are dead set on lake fishing, put in at county #1/ Canyon. Follow the left bank around to the main lake point. Work that then work your way back into the cove.

Chances of a wall hanger ain't near as good as Choke or Fayette but if you are looking to save gas. :idea:
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

Hey Moder!
I have definately thought about the Rebecca creek thing. Only thing is, I was there like three times in a row about a month and a half ago, and didnt do so good. (just a couple of dinks...)Im saving that place for the white bass run.
However, getting on the main lake and throwing some minnows for cats may just happen.
Iamdamoder
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Iamdamoder »

I don't have any better info on RC crossing. I just accept the dinks and the wonder of the spot.

The lake should be a better place to paddle, now that the wakeboard crowd has begun to chill. I don't have any big fish to report there either. Really nice clear water close to the house if I get 1 or 2 I'm happy.

Staying within an hour of the house you have to consider The San Marcos.
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

Well, that sucked.
I went to Calaveras lake, windy and choppy in the morning. Got there about 9:00 (to give it time to warm up. )
Gave it a shot anyway, went about halfway across the damn, when waves started getting over the side. Too much adventure for me. I turned around, and headed for shore. As I got within 100 yards from shore I decided to just anchor up and fish there. (waves were still present, but not quite as bad) Waves got in from the back this time because of the way I was anchored.
At this time, I was soaking wet, sitting in a pool of water, freezing my backside off. Went in, fished from shore for a bit, and caught the biggest dang Plecostamus Ive ever seen. (and NOTHING else!)
Im saving that lake for when the redfish are more active.
Guitlucky

Post by Guitlucky »

Oh, forgot to mention. as soon as I got the last strap done on the kayak, I looked out to find the water glass smooth.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

Guitlucky wrote:Well, that sucked.
I went to Calaveras lake, windy and choppy in the morning. Got there about 9:00 (to give it time to warm up. )
Gave it a shot anyway, went about halfway across the damn, when waves started getting over the side. Too much adventure for me. I turned around, and headed for shore. As I got within 100 yards from shore I decided to just anchor up and fish there. (waves were still present, but not quite as bad) Waves got in from the back this time because of the way I was anchored.
At this time, I was soaking wet, sitting in a pool of water, freezing my backside off. Went in, fished from shore for a bit, and caught the biggest dang Plecostamus Ive ever seen. (and NOTHING else!)
Im saving that lake for when the redfish are more active.
Install an anchor trolley, your backside will love you for it.