DSC02803.JPG
DSC02803.JPG (142.68 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
DSC02805.JPG
DSC02805.JPG (151.43 KiB) Viewed 4257 times
Hook'em
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Hook'em »

Those are some nice looking tires. Did they come of of a Barbie tricycle or something? :P

Looks like a simple design that would work for my drifter. The Ride does not have scupper holes in the tank well thou.

BTW, what is the PVC out of the tank well for? Holding rods?
Anthem2004

Looks very much like what I need

Post by Anthem2004 »

I bought the cart sold by COBRA that fits in the scupper holes of my FnD. I am extremely disappointed in it as it is apparently designed to be able to fit all their different models with different spacing between scupper holes. To accomplish that, the left and right sides of the cart slide together so the distance between the posts can be adjusted. The problem one runs into is that when trying to put the cart into the holes with one hand, while holding the yak with the other hand, the two sides of the cart slide totally apart, and you have to lay the yak back down and fit them back together again. As a temporary fix, I adjusted the cart to fit my yak and taped it into place with duct tape. It also seems to be awfully flimsey (sp?) and I don't expect it to last long.

The main problem I have is that when I raise the bow to slide into the rear saddle of my Thule bars, the kayak's keel drags on the cement because the cart is so low to the ground. This design seems to solve that problem by raising the yak high enough off the ground that the bow can be lifted quite high without the stern on the yak hitting the floor.
NoBoat
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by NoBoat »

That is a nice simple design. Hook'em maybe we need to work on one for the Ride.
Hook'em
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Hook'em »

Clay - somewhere I have plans for a cradle type yak cart that was used on a Tarpon 120. I am sure it can be adjusted for a Ride. Let me know if you want a copy of those plans, I think fishin' sent them to me.
Top Water

Post by Top Water »

Hook'em

Do think I can get a set of those plans? I'm going to pick up my Ride at the end of the month maybe sooner and I'm going to need to build a cart.
Gig'em

Yak cart

Post by Gig'em »

Capt. Tony,
I really like the pics of the cart you made. Would you mind sending me the parts list for that design? I would appreciate knowing what lengths to cut the pvc and what size pvc used. Also, where did you find the axle and wheels?

Thanks for any help you offer.
Anthem2004

Re: Yak cart - I really would like to build this version!

Post by Anthem2004 »

Gig'em wrote:Capt. Tony,
I really like the pics of the cart you made. Would you mind sending me the parts list for that design? I would appreciate knowing what lengths to cut the pvc and what size pvc used. Also, where did you find the axle and wheels?

Thanks for any help you offer.

I am also very much interested in building your design as it looks like it will raise my yak up higher off the ground so that the stern doesn't drag when I raise the bow to the car top into the rear saddle. Please provide detailed construction dimensions, if you would.

Looks like a great cart!

One question ... when pulling the yak on this cart, since it is so high, do you have any problems with the whole thing being stable ... that is, trying to tip to the side? Also, what, if anything did you do to increase the strength of the pvc? It appears that there would be an awful lot of strain on the posts that go through the scuppers and also the long pvc runs. I am also really interested in how you built the axle and attached the wheels.

One last thing. When you turn the yak on it's side to put the carrier rods into the scuppers, then turn the yak back onto the cart, with the cart being so high, do you have any trouble? I know that I do with the scupper mounted factory COBRA carrier. If so, what is the secret of getting the yak from it's side back to top side up and onto the carrier?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really would like to give it a go at building your carrier for my FnD, and would like to avoid having to rebuild it several times to get it to work for me. Also, any ideas where I can get wheels that would work with your design?

Questions, questions, and more ... as I don't have a shop of any kind and even less tools ... (live in an apartment and so will do most of the building inside, or mabye at my daughter's house, so I can have access to the yak for fitting) ... so I will have to buy all the tools in addition to construction materials. I've worked with pvc, though, and all I need are dimensions, a measuring tape, hack saw, drill and bits, and what else? ... oh yes, the secret of axel and tires and reinfrourcing, if any.

Thanks for your trouble,
cap-tony

yak cart

Post by cap-tony »

Sorry everyone for late reply.
A friend made this cart for my Malibu Pro Explorer with scupper holes.
And sorry Hook-em you asked what is the PVC out of the tank well for? Holding rods? yes it is the rod holder and tires are not of a Barbie tricycle LOL.
He charged me $35.00 I asked him if anyone else wants it, he said "no problem, all I need is the measurements of scupper holes, or bring the yak here" oh BTW he is in San Antonio let me know if anyone needs one.
and I dont have any problem to put it under the yak I pick my yak up with one hand and put the cart under it in the scupper holes, and once I'm by the water this baby fits in the front hatch. :wink:
I hope this helps
Attachments
DSC02833.JPG
DSC02833.JPG (58.92 KiB) Viewed 4071 times