Kayak storage advice requested...

BoneDigger

Kayak storage advice requested...

Post by BoneDigger »

I recently purchased a rather large kayak and need some storage advice. I now have a Perception Acadia II sit-inside tandem that is 14 ft long and fairly wide (and of course heavy). I am looking for the best way to store this in my shed. I can either hang it with pullies or I can make a stand out of plywood and sawhorses. Which is the best way to store a kayak without damaging the hull? I'd prefer to use a pully and ropes and hang it, but I'm not sure exactly what's the best way to accomplish this.

Also, because of the large numbers of wasps, spiders, and scorpions in my area I need some way to cover it. I could buy a cover but these are around $50.00 for a Harmony cover. I would think that a piece of plastic would do but I need a very long rubber band or something elastic to seal the plastic to the lip around the opening. Any ideas on this?

Todd in Tyler
GoinCoastal
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: Austin & AransasPass/ Wilderness Systems, Columbia Sportswear, & TFO Rods Pro Staff

Post by GoinCoastal »

I use a kayak strap rack. It is 2 web straps that can be hung from the rafters or a alrge eye screw. It has 2-4 sets of web straps with quick-snap buckles for each kayak. Mine is a 4 kayak holder and has 4 sets of color coded straps on each wall hanging strap. You just lift the kayak up one end at time and buckle the strap around the kayak. The kayaks hang on their sides by 2 straps.

The pic below is a small picture from Austin Outdoor Gear & Guidance. they use these same straps to display their inventory in their store. You can see the straps in the pics.
Attachments
boats06sm.jpg
boats06sm.jpg (11.38 KiB) Viewed 2067 times