Lake Somerville Kayak fishing

hook-line&sinker

Lake Somerville Kayak fishing

Post by hook-line&sinker »

We don't have a huge number of good kayak fishing opportunities here around Bryan / College Station but Lake Somerville is an exception in the winter and spring. The creeks begin to fill up with Crappie and Whitebass starting in late December and gaining numbers as it gets closer to the spawn. Of the eight or so feeder creeks three are best for kayak fishing IMHO, these are Birch, Nails and the Yegua. These three creeks are best accessed through Lake Somerville State Park and Trailway. Nails and Yegua are accessed from the Nails Creek Park unit and Birch creek is accessed from the Birch Creek Park unit.. I have fished all of these creeks for years and each one is productive when the lake is near or above normal pool level (238ft). This year is shaping up to be a banner year for creek fishing because the lake is full and all the creeks are running...

To get a head-start on this years creek fishing you might like to attend the 1st Annual New Year Winter Celebration at Nails Creek Park Saturday January 9th, 2010.
PayneFish

Re: Lake Somerville Kayak fishing

Post by PayneFish »

it looks interesting but is there going to be fishing or just a get together?
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

What is a Potluck "No Fish" Fish Fry Contest?

Payne. my thinking is that it might be worth going Friday night and camping right at the State Park, attending events (or some events) mixed with fishing, camp Saturday night before fishing Sunday morning before heading home. I'll keep it in mind.
hook-line&sinker

You can fish as much as you like before, during or after.. The pot-luck lunch/dinner is based on old fashion get togethers & the NO FISH fish fry is part of a contest for the fisherman to supply fresh caught fish for the fish fry.. The intent is for everyone to have the opportunity to participate in the Event. I think it's gonna be really fun! We may have a campfire cook-off too! I am camping that weekend too..

Schedule of events:
@

The Park Pavilion

7AM Pancake breakfast .

8AM Presentation of the park and the Park Partners support group.

9AM Presentation by the TPWD inland fisheries & Game Warden

10AM Guided Birding/Nature walks

10AM Yegua Creek-side fishing Demonstrations by Doug "fishytx" Blackstock.

10AM Lying & Tying by Brazos Valley Fly Fishers.

11AM Campfire cooking demonstrations.

11:30AM Presentation by the TPWD inland fisheries & Game Warden.

11:30AM The Pot Luck NO-FISH fish fry contest begins

12PM Heart of Texas Kayaks presentation "kayaking and gear fit to you”.

1PM Guided Birding/Nature walks

2PM Yegua Creek-side fishing Demonstrations by Doug "fishytx" Blackstock.

4PM til dark, The Pot Luck NO-FISH fry fish contest concludes and social gathering.
indy ag

Post by indy ag »

A great post on fishing the creeks on Somervillle....but.....
We don't have a huge number of good kayak fishing opportunities here around Bryan / College Station
...this simply isn't the case. There are multiple Navasota River put ins in Brazos County. Not to mention the mulitple Brazos River put in spots as well as Lake Bryan, Gibbons Creek Reservoir, and multiple perennial streams.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Thanks for the info looks like a great time.....
PayneFish

Post by PayneFish »

with the weather for this weekend I may pass. Got plenty cool on the water last weekend and it was in the 50s. Cant imagine it in the 30s. :shock:
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by peterpan »

What is the best way to get there from College Station? I know how to get to the Birch Creek and Newmans bottom as well. It will be real cold that weekend right? Thanks!
indy ag

Post by indy ag »

I live more or less due east of Lake Somerville and have found this to be a good route. DISCLAIMER!! Study this route and take a map. It is a bit confusing.

Go FM 60 west to
Hwy 36 south to
FM 1948 west (this is at a flashing yellow light with a Shell station).
Then do something like this...("A" is about 5.5 miles west of Hwy 36 in this image)...
peterpan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by peterpan »

Thanks indy ag! I'll see if I go there, it will be that cold!
fish1onthefly

Post by fish1onthefly »

Keep us posted on the white bass I have never fished the somerville creeks but this may be the year. This is one of my favorite time of the year.
hook-line&sinker

This Thursday's (28th) paddle trip @ the creek has been cancelled due to the weather. We will try again on the 5th of February.. Sorry guys but wind and rain is not good weather for paddling up the creeks.. even though it is caused by an advancing cold front and will likely trigger a serious morning bite IMHO..
hook-line&sinker

indy ag wrote:A great post on fishing the creeks on Somervillle....but.....
We don't have a huge number of good kayak fishing opportunities here around Bryan / College Station
...this simply isn't the case. There are multiple Navasota River put ins in Brazos County. Not to mention the mulitple Brazos River put in spots as well as Lake Bryan, Gibbons Creek Reservoir, and multiple perennial streams.
I agree but easy and safe public access is limited on both rivers, lake Bryan is a jetski wasteland and I have not been able to catch fish out of Gibbons to save my soul ;) but I know there are those who can catch fish anywhere..
The Eradicator
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by The Eradicator »

I used to kayak the Navasota at Sulphur Springs all the time. Lots of catfish! Depending on river level it was easy to medium difficulty to put in, but never hard. Hwy 30 offers easy access. I never braved the Brazos in my little dinky ol' sit in, didn't seem safe.