Went fishing today....

AllenOK

Went fishing today....

Post by AllenOK »

at a nearby lake. My plan was to drop some jugs, then paddle around and explore an area that I hadn't been to yet.

Well, it rained on me for about 20 minutes, part on the way there, part while I was unloading and preparing to launch. It quit raining 5 minutes before I launched.

I dropped my jugs in an area that looked promising (mud flats about 9' deep with a 20' channel cutting through, thermocline at 10'). I saw a few shad flipping, so I had high hopes.

I paddled over to an area that I hadn't been to. I was seeing shad flip, as occasionally some bigger fish hitting top as well. There were some stickups in the area, so I was hoping to tangle with "something". I was surprised to find out that I was only in about 12" of water. Paddling around in that is interesting, a cross between poling and paddling.

I managed to catch a small shellcracker on a worm, and that was it. I saw a lot of "some kind" of fish hitting top. I tried throwing topwaters at them, and nothing. If I would have brought my cast net, I might have tried for some shad to use as bait.

I am getting better at paddling. My gliding it coming along as well. I was gliding for several feet, with my paddle resting across the gunnels. Suddenly, "something" made a huge swirl in the water within hand's reach (literally!). It only spooked when my paddle went over it's head. I never saw what it was (water is like weak chocolate milk), but I'm thinking gar, large catfish, drum, carp, or possibly a big turtle.

After paddling around for about an hour, I decided to check on my jugs. My first two had drifted up against the shoreline, so I pulled those to rebait and reposition. Once I did that, I decided to head in, find a latrine, grab a bite, down some water, etc. I had a headache and it was starting to get to me.

After the pit stop, I visually checked my jugs, as I could see them all. Nothing going on. I decided to go play with the bluegill for a bit. I couldn't buy a bite! I don't know where they were hiding, but it sure wasn't in the weeds. Next time, I'll have to rig my slip float to about 9', and fish the ledge.

I wandered about for about another hour. Further explored the shallow area, but couldn't get a bite. About that time, my headache really started pounding again, so I decided to pull my jugs and go home to rest.

As I came around the point, I saw the southern-most of my jugs, and headed for them. My jugs were spread in a "zone" roughly running north-south. I started picking up the southern jugs first, as my vehicle was parked not that far away from the northern jugs.

Well, as I was looking at the northern jugs, I thought I saw one "flag". It was over 100 yards away, so I didn't head straight for it. As I picked up my jugs, I realized that the most northern jug was moving under it's own power. Shortly afterwards, I had picked up all my other jugs, and looked at the "live one" It had decided to make a run for deeper water. I set up an intercept course and started paddling. I think it heard me coming, as I missed it by about 2' on the starboard side. I gave a couple hard strokes, then using my paddle as a rudder, put my 'yak into a starboard turn. Since I undershot my first intercept, I was now turning into the jug and overtaking. I actually managed to come to a dead stop in front of the jug. At about 6' away from me, the jug came to a stop. Darn fish must be intelligent! Well, it started moving towards me again, and this time, I caught the sucker!

I started wrapping line around the jug. After the first couple of wraps, I felt a tug, tug-tug on the line. I continued wrapping line around my jug. Then I saw the first hook. Actually, it was the second, but was wrapped up around the line with the first hook (and fish) still in the water. I was attempting to untangle the mess when the fish surfaced. I decided, "to heck with it", and attempted to land the fish. I pulled it out of the water. Nice eatin' size channel cat, solid 3 lbs. I noticed that it was barely hooked. As I went to grab it, the darn thing shook, and popped right off! Back into the lake it went! Dagnabbit!

So, I learned a few things:
1) I might want to make/buy a Stake-out Stick, since I have a really freaking shallow area to fish.
2) If/when I get a SOS, put a hook on one end, so I can get the jugs easier.
3) When recovering fish from a jug, if the upper hook comes back empty, immediately secure the hook in the foam, regardless of tangled line. Land the fish promptly, then untangle!
4) Upon seeing a "live" jug, leave the others fishing, and go straight for the live one.
johnny a
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Went fishing today....

Post by johnny a »

Sounds like you had a pretty good time. Hate it about the headache though. I have come to learn to take advil and or tylenol with me on all of my trips. This heat will get to you and once the headache starts they usually don't stop at least for me. By the way you described it, it made it sound like you did not have snacks or drinks with you if you did then ignore the next sentence :D . I try to always have some sort of high carb snacks and plenty of water in the summer.
AllenOK

Post by AllenOK »

I had water with me in the yak. I had chewy granola bars in the truck. I was sticking close to my launch point, so I didn't feel a need to take them with me out on the water. I also needed to visit the latrine, so a pit stop was necessary.

I woke up with that headache, and fought that thing all day long. I took some aspirin first thing in the morning. It worked for a little while, then quit. The main problem was that I was just dehydrated. That's usually the source of all my headaches. I made an effort to drink water, but just wasn't downing enough. For some quirky reason, the bottled water I had tasted funny, and I just didn't want to drink much of it. I should have picked up some G2.

I've been meaning to get some ibuprofen and keep it in my yak. I keep forgetting every time I go to the store.
CityByTheSeaCitizen
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by CityByTheSeaCitizen »

What lake?

where do you live in Oklahoma? I grew up in Edmond and went to school at OSU. I love fishing Oklahoma.

For the reason that you mentioned, I only put 1 hook per jug when I am alone in my kayak. It just isn't worth the risk. You caught a 3 lb channel. Imagine a 25 lb blue on the end of that. You don't want to try to put foam around the bare hook when you have a freight train pulling on the other end.

How did you know the depth of the thermocline?
AllenOK

Post by AllenOK »

CityByTheSeaCitizen wrote:What lake?
Lake Heyburn.
CityByTheSeaCitizen wrote:
where do you live in Oklahoma? I grew up in Edmond and went to school at OSU. I love fishing Oklahoma.
Sapulpa, OK. I went to OSU Okmulgee (not sure what they're calling it now). I have family in and around Stillwater.
For the reason that you mentioned, I only put 1 hook per jug when I am alone in my kayak. It just isn't worth the risk. You caught a 3 lb channel. Imagine a 25 lb blue on the end of that. You don't want to try to put foam around the bare hook when you have a freight train pulling on the other end.
Good point. I've been running two hooks per jug, and varying my bait, type of hook, and depth, trying to figure out what the kittys like. However, you do have a point. I get a bigun on a jug, I'm going for a ride. I don't even know how I'm going to land it! That's why I've been sticking to baits that the bigger whiskerfish tend to ignore, like hot dogs, liver, etc.
How did you know the depth of the thermocline?
My depth-finder will display the thermocline as a fuzzy band on the screen. That, and I've been on that lake before in deeper water, so I knew at what depth to expect the thermocline on that particular lake.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

AllenOK
This may help when storing and when picking up the jugs, In Texas the jugs have to be white, Storing the hooks in the foam reeks havoc on the foam. I take a pool noodle and cut a piece about 2 " thick and put it on the end of the jugs when pulling up the line. When this piece of foam is toast, I cut a new one.

Something to keep in mind, I always keep a knife and or scissors close, when checking the jug lines.... regardless how many hooks ya use, 2, 3, or five,, it is dangerous dangerous if the first hooks are not secured or removed.

It is hard to tell sometimes until the fish breaks the surface as to how big it is,,,, FOR ME, if I suspect it is a big one,,, I cut the staging, and throw the hook on the floor as I role the line up,,,

Your hands are wet, and if one of them gives a big tug and dive, ya can run that line right through your grip, if you have hooks on both sides of your hand, odds have it that that hook is gonna run right through your hand.

Jugging is fun , but from a kayak, you just have to be careful, pulling a 30 to 40 # cat up along side of a plastic kayak, can be hazardous. Those fins can stick right in the side of the boat,,,not to mention your leg if you try to slide that slimey montster in the boat..... Not to mention getting off balance when tugging back and forth from the side with a good one.

Just be careful,
AllenOK

Post by AllenOK »

Thanks for the tip!