Conroe Sat.

152 Sumo

Conroe Sat.

Post by 152 Sumo »

Fished Conroe out of April Plaza from dawn till around 10. I would have stayed longer, but the PBs were out in force. The wakes were bugging me more than the actual traffic.

Anyway, I got skunked. I am using the excuse that it was my first time on the lake. That one only works once though. Another problem I had was fishing 'blind' for most of the morning. My depth finder wasn't working until around 9 a.m. So, I was paddling around most of the time not knowing if I was in 3' or 20'. I probably spent too much time in shallow water or not enough time in deep water. I tried senkos a little around the docks with zero bites. I tried texas rigged 7" worm and creature bait around bridge pilings/rocks/docks/brush piles. There was a promising brush pile right on the edge of Aprils's Plaza docks in 12+ ft of water.... nothing. (that was after my FF started working)

My question is: Was it just bad luck, or is the water just too hot? Any recommendations on other spots would be appreciated.

Oh, almost forgot, I even threw a crappie jig around the docks with hope of at least catching a bluegill. I missed a couple nibbles, but that's it.
Firefly49
Location: Montgomery/Conroe, Texas WS Commander 14, WS Tarpon 140, OT Loon 160T, SrchrM1824

Re: Conroe Sat.

Post by Firefly49 »

How about going an extra few miles and put in around Stow-away, Anchorage or 830 ramp??.......I know a few spots from my PB bass tournament buddies I get to go out and scout with (no yak allowed :evil: :evil: :evil: ). Or 1097 bridge, or along the dam rip rap.....Stubblefield Lake. PM if you want more specific's.
152 Sumo

Post by 152 Sumo »

Thanks Firefly. I will keep those areas in mind. I think my problem was not having depth finder working for a while, not knowing the lake, and heat. A combination of all of the above probably accounted for the skunk. I know a depth finder isn't a guarantee to find fish, but I know that fishing in 10' or less with 85 deg water will produce no bass, not in the daytime at least. I will keep trying.
harv418
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by harv418 »

Sumo,
I've had some luck up on teh north end of the lake. Put in a Stowaway and paddle back to your right. follow the creek bed up to the outer banks of lake paula. there have been some fish holding in 8-12 foot of water, even busting buzzbaits in the morning.

if you go out to the main lake from stowaway, about 100 yrds off shore from the Blue Boat house is a hump with some brush on it. It typically holds a few bass as well as some hybrids..
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

Honestly that whole south end of the lake is dangerous even in a power boat. From Scotts Ridge to the dam.

If you can get in and out early before the idiots wake up ,,,, the powerline west of Walden Marina is good, There is a 30 to 40 foot hole just off the island if you are looking for deep water.

You can go up into the Old Anchorage Marina and fish around the docks, that is pretty good. You have to paddle over from the 830 boat ramp though, Don't get intimidated,,,, the water is public, even between the docks, the docks are private property, if you tie up to one, then you are tresspassing. you can find some 20 foot deep water near the ends of the docks if you are catfishing.

Straigtht out from the Cagle boat ramp on the north end in the stumps, is also good, Just be careful crossing the boat lane, and keep an eye on the wind.
152 Sumo

Post by 152 Sumo »

Thanks for the extra info. I don't have an excuse now! :lol:

Randy, I know what you mean about idiots. Around 10 a.m., there were all kinds of PBers that don't know what NO WAKE means. One moron cruised right into April Plaza throwing a huge wake. Some people think slow = no wake.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. Maybe I can break my TX skunk this weekend.
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

On the rare occasion that I use my PB on Lake Conroe, I stay north of the 1097 bridge. Too many indie boat racers, circle jerkers, etc. I am off the lake by 11:00. Last time I had my yak up there was my last time, it just got too hairy.
Randy
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: Kayak Featherlite 9.5 Mini-x Predator K140, Percption Swifty,Necky Zoar Angler

Post by Randy »

152 Sumo

Hang in there,,,, keep this in mind,,, it will help........
SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club
Location: The Woodlands, TX...TEAM SOUTHWEST, Team Castaway Rods

Post by SOUTHWESTPADDLESPORTS »

We fished April Plaza Wed. morning just walking around the docks and caught a couple smaller bass. That area is one of the best areas on the lake. Let me know next time you want to fish the South end of the lake and I will meet you there and show you some of my spots. Here are a few pics from some of my trips out there. You might also trying fishing the deeper water docks.

Chris
SWPS
281-292-5600
152 Sumo

Post by 152 Sumo »

Chris
I was in some of those exact spots, I think. (awesome pics by the way). I was throwing a 7" texas rigged berkley power worm in june bug.

I sent you a PM.
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

fish the bridge pilings