Hot and dry when this happens

bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Hot and dry when this happens

Post by bowgarguide »

I was eating supper tonight and looked outside and saw this.

He was just strolling across my backyard,I got up and got the camera ,went outside the closer I got the bigger he was.

Dang turtle was 23 1/2 inches in length.
I caught him turned him loose into a local lake.Cant figure out where he came from,there is no water I know of for a half a mile and my backyard has a good fence all the way around.
Was a neat thing to watch him swim off.
Ron
boater71

Re: Hot and dry when this happens

Post by boater71 »

Kuddos for you sir. :clap:
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Ron, good onya for effecting a rescue! I can just hear the "ahhhhhhhhh" sigh of relief that turtle breathed :D

Kim
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:clap: Great Job :clap: Man it's getting dry :roll:

Mike
Fishingpeer

Post by Fishingpeer »

FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

With this heat, looks like that poor guy wasn't too far from water. Shell would have dried out in 5-10 mins if he had been traveling a while. I'd bet wherever he was living dried up!!
fishin13rocks

Post by fishin13rocks »

hope you didnt release him where you do your fishing. turtles eat fish and fish eggs. I had a really nice honey hole i used to go to. But now i go out there and dont catch squat, but i get to watch the dang turtles and snakes swim around! :oops:
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

I got em ! Last year I got one in my drive way that was a 36 dia. alg. snappin turtle. Got him in a wheel barrow and put him in the tank behind the house. Big damn turtle.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

fishin13rocks wrote:hope you didnt release him where you do your fishing. turtles eat fish and fish eggs. I had a really nice honey hole i used to go to. But now i go out there and dont catch squat, but i get to watch the dang turtles and snakes swim around! :oops:
...around here we have fish that eat turtles...and snakes :)

Kim
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Nope no fish in there only the brim and sun fish that just appear in there.
So far no big turtles in the catfish ponds down at the ranch. I Will stock bass this fall and thin the turtles. Perfect place to test kayaks and p boats. Right now there are around 800 catfish,40000 fat head minnows and 400 copper nose and 400 hybrid sunfish in about 3 acres of water. The Sun is taking a toll on the water though. Hope we get some rain soon.
fishin13rocks

Post by fishin13rocks »

Cut N Shoot wrote:Nope no fish in there only the brim and sun fish that just appear in there.
So far no big turtles in the catfish ponds down at the ranch. I Will stock bass this fall and thin the turtles. Perfect place to test kayaks and p boats. Right now there are around 800 catfish,40000 fat head minnows and 400 copper nose and 400 hybrid sunfish in about 3 acres of water. The Sun is taking a toll on the water though. Hope we get some rain soon.

:shock: thats alot of fish! need help thinning them out???? :wink:
Cut N Shoot

Post by Cut N Shoot »

Well I have been feeding the ones in the front tank until the water got to hot so they are around 10 inches now. Come next year I may need some help. :mrgreen:
Phatwater

Post by Phatwater »

I would eaten him. Turtle Sauce Piquante! MMMM.....MMMM....Good!
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I'm still having trouble believing Ron moved fast enough to catch him. :shock:
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ron,i think you better quit pickin on Pogo :lol:

Mike
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

Light Keeper's Kid wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: Ron,i think you better quit pickin on Pogo :lol:

Mike
Cus he might show up in your back yard and he will eat all the fish in freezer :lol: :lol: :lol:
Harold Ray
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Harold Ray »

With his nose sticking out, Ron, I suppose its a red ear. I love those rascals. Two feet is big!! for one of them, at least to me.

I had a lady drop one off she had found in the road the other day. She kept saying he, so I rolled him over, and he was a she. The ladies took an x-ray, and the red ear was loaded with eggs so I took her home and turned her loose in Lake Waco behind my house.

She had her head and legs tucked in tight. I set her on the shore so the water lapped right up against her shell. A few moments passed, and then her head and legs shot out and she was gone. When I kayak that area there are always a bunch sunning on the logs, just staring as I go by.

Ray
152 Sumo

Post by 152 Sumo »

Just another example of why us fisherman/hunters are the best conservationists on the planet. I have an uncle that traps snapping turtles in the midwest. When he butchers one with eggs, he incubates the eggs, then releases the babies where mom was trapped. I'd like to see PETA do that.
Pogo
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Pogo »

I don't get it. Seems like PETA would just say that Ma Turtle wouldn't have been killed on their watch, and the eggs woulda been naturally hatched without interference. No, I'm no PETA-phile . . . . in fact, I'd rather get my hands on some of that turtle meat than even hear about another "animal lover" and totally agree with your hunter/fisherman comment. Have always wanted to try it, never had the oppurtunity. Which brings up a question: Are snappers the only "eatin'" turtles, or are others equally good as table fare? Seems like I've only heard of people eating snappers.
TexasZeke

Post by TexasZeke »

we ate a couple of soft shells back when I was a kid. Pain cleaning them for no more meat than we got.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Well we had another visitor yesterday,another red eared turtle walking accross the yard,this one still had moss on his back and was much smaller ,12 inches from front to back.
Dang turtle parade.
Ron