Caught my first fish from my 'yak today!

AllenOK

Caught my first fish from my 'yak today!

Post by AllenOK »

I made an early morning trip over to Bristow City Lake today. My first fish hit a crawdad crankbait about 15 minutes into the paddle, off a rip-rapped point. It was just a small rock bass. I should have stayed right there.

I paddled around trying different spots. I was tossing the crawdad crank, as well as throwing a worm under a float. I started catching a few green sunfish here and there.

I ended up going back to where I caught the small rock bass. I flipped the bobber out, and it immediately went under. I ended up catching about 6 good-sized bluegills bam-bam-bam. I also managed a big rock bass, and a couple shellcrackers, one of which was on par size-wise with the big rock bass.

I told my other half that I would head back around 11 am, so it was time to leave. I talked to an older gent and his grandson for a few. They were trying to catch sunnies to use for catfish bait.

I would have kept the fish I did catch, as my other half loves bluegill. But, I had my cooler pointed the wrong direction, and couldn't reach the button to unlock the lid. Something to remember next time. I think I tape an arrow onto both sides of the lid to remind me which way should be facing forward.

I was using my drift sock to hold my position. Granted, there really wasn't much breeze. The 'gills would pull my 'yak around a bit. The big rock bass came straight in, but the big shellcracker pulled the bow around 30 degrees to starboard/right while I reeled it in. I can just imagine what a big bass, striper, or catfish will do. Good thing I plan on keeping the drift sock clipped to my anchor trolley pretty much all the time. If I get towed, I'll just drop the drift sock overboard and hand on!
medicshahan

Re: Caught my first fish from my 'yak today!

Post by medicshahan »

That sounds like an awesome time!! I just bought my first kayak but I work offshore in the GOM and don't get back to land until the 7th, so I have to wait til then. But I'm looking forward to doing some fishing as soon as I pick it up. Thanks for the post!

ryan