deleted

Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

deleted

Post by Strider »

deleted
Last edited by Strider on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Easter supper

Post by RealBigReel »

Looks good to me.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

Mummmm 8) Same to you :wink:

Mike
J-Man

Post by J-Man »

Peas! Gross!
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

The channel cat fried like that sounds really good right now. I remember the time you cooked that for us, it tasted so much like chicken I was calling it chicken... :? I think it was the gravy that made them taste like the ultimate chicken tenders.

The bluegill stuffing looks good to me also. I'd try a bowl full, or two... :D
yawnt 2

Post by yawnt 2 »

Chef Strider strikes again.Thanks for the cooking class, and thanks for the great idea for stuffing.
Beve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Beve »

Bluegill stuffing...what a great idea! Thanks for the play by play. And it's a very affordable and delicious meal too. I'm guessing you could really vary up some recipes with boiling fish in homemade stock like that?
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Beve wrote:I'm guessing you could really vary up some recipes with boiling fish in homemade stock like that?
Yes, the freshwater fish I have used don't impart a very "seafoody" taste to stocks so I like to start out with the shrimp shells (heads work too). After that you can add whatever kindof meat, vegetables, pasta, rice, stuffing you name it and the whole pot will taste real shrimpy.

As for the peas being "gross", I was raised on a variety of foods. We were forced to eat our brocolli, cauliflower, liver, squash, okra, Brussels sprouts, eggplant, sauerkraut and whatever else our mother blessed our plates with. I attribute my upbringing, and exposure to other cultures in my adult life to my appreciation of different foods, and in fact there are few, if any foods found in an American grocery store I would call "gross". I have to admit though, that I'm not partial to any dishes that include any part of an animal's digestive tract - apologies to lovers of that Saturday morning "breakfast of champions", AKA menudo :) :)

Kim
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

I always like your recipes. :D They always include photos. :D :D
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Thanks for all the great info Mr. Strider. I always enjoy your posts.
yakin ag
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by yakin ag »

That looks exquisite :shock: Do you ever use any fish heads to create stock?
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

yakin ag wrote:Do you ever use any fish heads to create stock?
Haha, I gave some FW redfish heads to an Okinawan a couple of years ago and she used them to make stock. I haven't gotten that far, but if this is a challenge I just may give it a shot!

Kim
yakin ag
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by yakin ag »

Ha! You be the guinea pig, let me know how it turns out :lol:
RealBigReel
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Lunch

Post by RealBigReel »

I make my own breading from flour (fresh ground whole wheat sometimes), corn meal, seasoning salt, lemmon pepper and regular pepper.
This is 1/3 of a fillet from a 5 lb hybrid (thick).
Fry in grease or better yet butter.
Served with home made bread, sliced thick and lightly toasted, real butter and strawberry preserves.

Made an excellent hot lunch.

Oh and Pecan Sandies for dessert
DarrellS
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by DarrellS »

You know, The Bruceville/Lorena area could use a great resturant. You always make me hungry with your cooking posts. :D
Maulwalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Maulwalker »

Very cool ideas, Kim. I'm a big fan or finding second lives for leftovers and other cooking by-products, so I will definitely be re-using my shrimp shells in this fashion in the future. How long do you guesstimate you boiled the shrimp shells with the broth before straining them out? 15-20 minutes?
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

Maulwalker wrote:Very cool ideas, Kim. I'm a big fan or finding second lives for leftovers and other cooking by-products, so I will definitely be re-using my shrimp shells in this fashion in the future. How long do you guesstimate you boiled the shrimp shells with the broth before straining them out? 15-20 minutes?
Maulwalker, 15-20 minutes will do just fine. Heck, I forgot one of the most important ingredients in the stock - a bit of celery :x and I had some too :(

George, shame on you for posting that pic your wife's homemade bread :D I will be frustrated in all my culinary ventures until I get that vision out of my head, and the taste out of my mouth!

Kim
JFBedford

Post by JFBedford »

This thread is lacking at least 2 obligatory "YOU SUCK"s.

I guess I need to stop C&R'ing everything I catch.
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

I did forget to mention the secret to a crispy, crunchy beer battered coating....

Dip the fish in the beer batter and coat thoroughly. Then dredge in the seasoned flour, making sure all the wet areas get coated. Immediately place in the hot oil, taking care to manage the heat so as to not burn the coating while frying.

This HEB Frying Flour is the stuff, man. I've tried a lot of others but this has a true, Southern flavor. I've fried chicken and shrimp in it and they is fantastic :D

Kim
yakin ag
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by yakin ag »

Kim, I plagiarized your beer batter recipe this w/e and it was a hit! Very good! I used HEB fyring flour, but I switched from keystone to Dos Equis :wink:
Strider
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Strider »

yakin ag wrote:Kim, I plagiarized your beer batter recipe this w/e and it was a hit! Very good! I used HEB fyring flour, but I switched from keystone to Dos Equis :wink:
A fine choice! Glad it worked for you :)

Kim
booo52

Post by booo52 »

Strider wrote:
Beve wrote:I'm guessing you could really vary up some recipes with boiling fish in homemade stock like that?
Yes, the freshwater fish I have used don't impart a very "seafoody" taste to stocks so I like to start out with the shrimp shells (heads work too). After that you can add whatever kindof meat, vegetables, pasta, rice, stuffing you name it and the whole pot will taste real shrimpy.

As for the peas being "gross", I was raised on a variety of foods. We were forced to eat our brocolli, cauliflower, liver, squash, okra, Brussels sprouts, eggplant, sauerkraut and whatever else our mother blessed our plates with. I attribute my upbringing, and exposure to other cultures in my adult life to my appreciation of different foods, and in fact there are few, if any foods found in an American grocery store I would call "gross". I have to admit though, that I'm not partial to any dishes that include any part of an animal's digestive tract - apologies to lovers of that Saturday morning "breakfast of champions", AKA menudo :) :)

Kim
Yammy!! Sound great!!
I like vegetables especially broccoli and cauliflower!
Amd this recipe my favourite - Baked cauliflower buuffalo bites https://greenann.com/recipe/cauliflower-buffalo-bites/
Like healthy chips)