TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...

Well desided to post the Wadefish that I've started building. Mr. Freckle's is the new addition to our family and my new kayak dog :D We have begun the cut out and started the cockpit build-up :D This a plan that I had Matt at http://www.jemwatercraft.com draw-up for me based on the X-factor's Specs. It is now called the Wadefish 15-32 on his site :wink:

HE THINKS I'M GOING TO RIDE A PILE OF BOARDS :shock:

Will post more as we go,if I can keep Mr.Feckle's from eating the wood :roll:

Mike
Last edited by Light Keeper's Kid on Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
By preacher
All right! can't wait to see this puppy . . .
By barditch
:D Mr. Freckles is cool! And you're right! A dog should have his own kayak!
By Redeye
That's one of the plens that I have looked at and like! Can't wait to see the build pictures!

Nice looking Brittany Spaniel!
By Iamdamoder
Cool, Looks like there will be plenty of room for Mr. freckles. :D
By Light Keeper's Kid
Started gluing up the 2 1/2" drains and the cockpit stringers as well as cutting holes out in the cross stringers for rod storage. Came up with a way to glue the 1/4 round with screws in 2x4s,then weight them down,works great. With the cockpit framing all glued up I started stiching up the cockpit and tankwell so they can be filleted and glassed on both sides. One thing I would recommend is to work on a flat surface to keep everything square.

Mike

Last edited by Light Keeper's Kid on Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By preacher
When you talk about cutting holes for rod storage are you talking about between the cockpit area and the hull? I've been wondering if that was possible??? Is the 3/4 round your idea? Haven't seen that on any builder's posts.

BTW, that work is really looking good, makes perogue building look like tinker toys.

AND!!! I get to watch you put those scuppers in. I've been wondering about the difficulty in doing that.
By Light Keeper's Kid
You can see the half holes in the bottom of cockpit framing,I've seen other builders do it. The 1/4 round is in the plans as part of the build to give more gluing surface to glue cockpit and tankwell. As far as the scuppers go they fit between the hull and cockpit and get glassed in. Its been going well its taken me longer to figure out how to work photo bucket :roll:not a computer wiz :roll:

Thanks,Mike
By fysherman
saweeet. One day I hope to build an SOT as well...right now i'm building a pirogue. Crazy how you start with a pile off wood...then before you know it to looks like a boat with beautiful curves...something every guy likes to look at.

Good luck and I cant wait to see your progression! I am going to go out right now and finish filleting the inside seams of mine :)...
By Light Keeper's Kid
Thanks,I hate Epoxy :lol: Why can't someone make it in tube for less than $20. for a 6 1/3 oz. :lol:

Mike
By Light Keeper's Kid
Thanks Ron,that means alot for a man that has built so many like yourself :wink:

Mike
By Light Keeper's Kid
Well got some work done over the weekend got the cockpit and tankwell filleting done and thier ready for glassing. Also started stitching the hull panels together and stitching the cockpit framing in place.

By Dogpaddlin
Very impressive, that looks like an insane amount of filleting to me :shock:

Can't wait to see how it turns out!
By Light Keeper's Kid
yea it is going to be alot of filleting :lol: Stitched 3 more panels on tonight she's begining to look like something that might float :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm begining to see why I picked out a Wadefish 8)

Mike
By Light Keeper's Kid
Finally got the hull panels glued up and start sanding tonight so that I can glass exterior of hull. And its surprisely light can lift one end with one finger :shock:

Last edited by Light Keeper's Kid on Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By DarrellS
Boat is looking great. You are coming right along and it wont be long before you get her wet.
By preacher
Really looking good, I like that shape.
By TexaRican
I laid 32 feet of fillets tonight and I'm not envious of you at all! That is alot of seams to tackle.
Boat looks great though. It will be worth the effort.
By Light Keeper's Kid
Thanks,as you know its alot of mixing and still must do the inside :roll: But at least its begining to look like it might float :lol: And yours is coming along well too :wink:

Mike
By Light Keeper's Kid
A quick update because Pogo asked whats going on. Been filleting the inside of the hull and glassing 3'x3' areas on the exterior. With the poly epoxy I found it to be easier to apply the fillet with a freezer bag and then take a plastic squeegee to form the fillet and it comes out very smooth if you do it quickly because the ploy sets very fast. These are the type of cups I've been mixing in. I marked the first two and just look at them as a referance.

Mike

Last edited by Light Keeper's Kid on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Pogo
Thank you for the indulgence. :)
By Light Keeper's Kid
I guess I'm a little slower than others but at least someone asked :wink:

Mike
By Pogo
Funny thing nobody's asked, geeze. :? For my money you have two extraordinary things going on with your project: First, you're tackling a homemade SOT, and that's a "challenging" proposition if there ever was one. I'd call it tougher than the dreaded stripper, even. Second, you're using polyester resin.

I hope you'll keep us apprised of your progress, preferably in detail. It's an exceedingly interesting project.

Question on Lure Rigging? What should the leader […]

We hammered their ass today!

Wow! That is a beautiful heavy load for a conserva[…]

Good on you Blake for getting out and fighting th[…]

For those using the Halco Max 110, what type/size/[…]