Sugarland Brazos River catfishing, need help.

Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Sugarland Brazos River catfishing, need help.

Post by Nano-Skiff »

So this morning I was fishing and not even a nibble. OK so heres what the place is like. Theres a BIG dam in a stream. The stream is about 40 feet wide above the dam and 20 feet wide below. About 150 yards from the dam, the stream dumps into the brazos river. The water swirls pretty good out there and would lead me to believe it should be a good place to catch catfish. But i didnt. On 2 poles i was using these little lures you squirt the catfish attractant into and the 3rd pole was some kind of stinkbait. I had one casted into the stream 30 feet from the brazos, one in the swirling water and one about 20 feet outside the swirling water into the brazos. I got a late start because it was spur of the moment and Gander Mtn didnt open til 9 and i didnt know where a walmart was. So I didnt get a line wet until about 9:30 and I gave up at 11. Id appreciate any help :)
Beve
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Beve »

First, I'd cast net some bait from the stream or river. Maybe try some nightcrawlers too. With that much swirling current the stinkbait may not be hugely effective as the scent could get washed around.
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Makes sense to me...
reservoir dog

Post by reservoir dog »

in that situation, i would catch some live bait like perch, keep them alive, hook them in the eyes and cut them up pretty good. in the swirl, i'd freeline the bait. it will wash into small scours. in the river i'd do the same but with a good sinker.
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

hey res dog, maybe we should skip school tomorrow night and try it out?
Bassass

Sugarland Brazos River Catfishing - need help

Post by Bassass »

Don't want to get too nosey about your private spot, but just where is this? It seems there just aren't many places along the Brazos near Sugarland with public access unless there's a 30 foot drop off to the water.
Olde Farte

Sugarland Brazos River Catfishing - need help

Post by Olde Farte »

The only place near that description is a small waterway that goes under university in Sugarland. There's a dam about a couple of hundred yards downstream of the crossing, and it's about another 150-200yards to the Brazos. I've looked at the confluence of that waterway into the River thinking I may like to try it some day.

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up! :wink:
Ladybug

Re: Sugarland Brazos River Catfishing - need help

Post by Ladybug »

Bassass wrote:Don't want to get too nosey about your private spot, but just where is this? It seems there just aren't many places along the Brazos near Sugarland with public access unless there's a 30 foot drop off to the water.
Hook a "brother" up...BDaddyG and I are looking for places to fish or paddle near his job...and the Fort Bend County part of the Brazos is one of the rivers we'd like to find some spots to fish or paddle...

Come on, tell us your secret... :wink:
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

Retread nailed it. Theres a park on University with an incomplete "Kayak Launch". But on the othere side of the park is where that creek dumps in. Ive been waiting to kayak it but since my hernia op havnt been out in it. Ill probably try it out soon and let ya know if its a good paddle out there. Heres where the park is at http://www.sugarlandtx.gov/parks_recrea ... tionsA.jpg
I cant find a better map, but theres a lake they just stocked there also, but looks pretty shallow. But back to the brazos river part of it, its not a pretty launch but once you got in its only a mile or 2 to the takeout in the park that is only accessible by truck, on a pipeline which is kinda part of the park where you arent supposed to be driving. But otherwise a long way to drag a yak back to the truck.
Ladybug

Post by Ladybug »

Thanks, neighbor...we'll have to check it out soon!