Rudder for my Yak

Top Water

Rudder for my Yak

Post by Top Water »

I have a T100 and have realized that I would really like to have a rudder but the T100 isn't designed to have one. Does anyone have a idea of how I might rig one up?
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Given that there is no way to fasten the rudder to the hull (structural POP rivets, maybe?) and the foot recesses would get in the way of mounting any rails, my best guess is that you're SOL on this installation. Still, figuring out things like this is fun for me, and if you're so inclined I bet there's a way to make it work. Might not be the best installation in the world, and you'd surely have to compromise something to get it, but it can probably be done with some careful planning.

M-D
Jerry-rigged
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jerry-rigged »

foot recesses would get in the way of mounting any rails

Check out the Cobra rudder foot peddles - they mount on a bar crosswise accross the top of the boat, with hinge-type peddles. For the rudder assembily, though, you will likely need to fabricate a SS or Alu. mount to set the rudder pin off the back of the boat.
Have fun-
Jerry
M-D
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club
Location: No Matter Where I Go, There I Am. No Matter Where I've Been, There I Was. It's A Vicious Cycle.

Post by M-D »

Yeah, Jerry, I could see how that might work out pretty well. Seems like it would cramp the inside of the cockpit, in the footwells, just a little, but it would be a simple solution for the problem.

A plate of some sort for the rudder mount could easily be fabricated, then POP-riveted in place, with the rudder mounted on it or another mount attached to the plate. For sure I'd want to use some structural rivets, preferably with washers between the hull and the squish. Dont know how they could be easily gotten on the rivet prior to squeezing it, though. It's not as though there's much pressure on the attachment from the use of the rudder. I'm thinking more along the lines making it more sturdy in order to better survive rough handling.

Top Water, you started to work on this yet? We'll cheer you on from the gallery section. :wink:

M-D