TexasKayakFisherman.com est. 2000

Kayak fishing the Lone Star State...


User avatar
By jasonp
#2238594
OK guys, I've been kayak fishing for a few years now and have had a few kayaks (Tarpon 120, Tarpon 100) and currently a WS Ride 135 with a rudder and Jackson Big Tuna. I've always kinda liked the idea behind the Hobie Mirage drive but held off due to the one direction issue (no reverse). Now however with the 360 option, it's reared its head again but at $2600, it's a big decision to make. For those of you that have had or have the hobie outback or Pro Angler 12 could you give me your impressions compared to paddle kayak experiences, regrets, glad you did it, etc. Any opinions would be appreciated..

Thanks,
JP
User avatar
By mmwaggie
#2238628
The new 180 mirage drives are not great in my opinion. Every time I go to the shop I see a 180 drive on the bench that someone broke. The last model Mirage drive GT was awesome and sturdy, easy to work on. The 180 drive is so poorly engineered, if the cables break good luck getting it back together on the water. If the blades hit something the 180 piece has been known to snap because it is plastic.

I would NOT buy a new Hobie with the 180 drive. It needs some kinks worked out. It just launched so give them a couple years to get it all figured out.

I would recommend looking at an old town predator PDL if you want a pedal drive. I paddle the 2017 predator 13 and it's a bad ass yak. The PDL is great. It is fast and stable. You don't have to reach down and pull a cable to go in reverse. You should definitely go and rent one.
User avatar
By jasonp
#2238688
mmwaggie wrote:The new 180 mirage drives are not great in my opinion. Every time I go to the shop I see a 180 drive on the bench that someone broke. The last model Mirage drive GT was awesome and sturdy, easy to work on. The 180 drive is so poorly engineered, if the cables break good luck getting it back together on the water. If the blades hit something the 180 piece has been known to snap because it is plastic.

I would NOT buy a new Hobie with the 180 drive. It needs some kinks worked out. It just launched so give them a couple years to get it all figured out.

I would recommend looking at an old town predator PDL if you want a pedal drive. I paddle the 2017 predator 13 and it's a bad ass yak. The PDL is great. It is fast and stable. You don't have to reach down and pull a cable to go in reverse. You should definitely go and rent one.

Interesting, this is the first I've heard of issues with the Mirage 360. As far as the other peddle drives; I've tried them and they weren't my thing. I liked the Hobie (old version) which I've tried but it wouldn't go in reverse. The only one I haven't tried is the new Jackson Kayak Peddle drive and that one looks interesting as well.
User avatar
By bullet.catcher
#2238713
It's a night and day experience going from an OK Trident to the Hobies with a mirage drive. I have both hobies that you mentioned and they're absolutely animals on the water. I'm hard pressed to go back to paddling because you constantly have to put down the rod. If fishing the hill country rivers then I can see myself dusting off my first kayak for some action. But there isn't many situations where I need to stroll away from my Hobie fleet. They're worth every $$$$ you spend on them and they can take a beating. My oldest is an Outback going on 8 years now and I used to baby it but those days a long gone as she has made it clear theres no need to.
User avatar
By mmwaggie
#2238881
I regularly visit the local kayak shops in my area and often hear about the 180 drives having issues. Additionally, on facebook as well.

Note that it's called the Mirage Drive 180 and not a 360. 360 degrees is a full rotation..
User avatar
By Rsparrow
#2238944
I'm a brand new Hobie owner (used 2015 Outback) so I have virtually no experience to share with you. Maybe there is something to the "I heard they have problems" or "I see stuff about problems on Facebook", maybe? Seeing a mirage drive on the bench in the shop, may have more to do with the fact that the other pedal drives are so new and there are lots and lots of Hobies on the water being used....don't know. I do know there are YouTube after YouTube comparing this, that and the other new pedal drive against some model Hobie. I've had mine on the water only once so far. It is in good shape but it had been used for BTB fishing by the prior owner. It was flawless and smooth as silk, even with the Turbo fins... which people say they've heard are more difficult to use. I assume Hobie must be doing something right, the are expensive and still they sell boats. See if you can try one and see what you think. One trip convinced me that pedaling is way cool. I'm also excited I own a Hobie and in my opinion the build quality is top shelf. Putting extra pennies in the piggy now so I can buy the Helix drive for my Radar this fall.... or roll the dice that Santa brings it to me......
User avatar
By jasonp
#2238947
mmwaggie wrote:I regularly visit the local kayak shops in my area and often hear about the 180 drives having issues. Additionally, on facebook as well.

Note that it's called the Mirage Drive 180 and not a 360. 360 degrees is a full rotation..

I wonder how the new Jackson Coosa Flex Drive is going to pan out. not much out on that yet..
User avatar
By mmwaggie
#2239084
jasonp wrote:I wonder how the new Jackson Coosa Flex Drive is going to pan out. not much out on that yet..


That one looks really bad ass. There is a product video out on the Jackson Coosa FD now. Check it out. But I would never buy something that is the first model e.g. mirage drive 180 / flex drive until it is proven. At 3k though I'd rather have a hobie decked out with a couple cool accessories.
By tgil
#2239164
jasonp wrote:
mmwaggie wrote:I regularly visit the local kayak shops in my area and often hear about the 180 drives having issues. Additionally, on facebook as well.

Note that it's called the Mirage Drive 180 and not a 360. 360 degrees is a full rotation..

I wonder how the new Jackson Coosa Flex Drive is going to pan out. not much out on that yet..

I'd like to get my hands on a peddle drive to adapt to my Tuna. It'd be cool if Jackson would make a drop in unit that goes where the tank is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

For Sale - 2017 Hobie Pro Angler 17t purchased Jan[…]

What type shooting? Pistol, rifle, long range, sh[…]

Totally agree with you but it's the wrong color of[…]

WTB kayak trailer

The OP didn't say whether he's in fresh or salt wa[…]