Kayaking the Guadalupe this winter

Lane

Kayaking the Guadalupe this winter

Post by Lane »

What are the best put in/take out spots on the Guadalupe below Canyon Lake for winter trout fishing? I am a GRTU member with lease access.
b737

Re: Kayaking the Guadalupe this winter

Post by b737 »

Check TPWD website. They have arranged free launching with several of the river outfitters for winter trout fishing.
They also list the stocking dates and the special rules for different areas of the Guadalupe, below Canyon Dam.
Lane

Post by Lane »

b737 wrote:Check TPWD website. They have arranged free launching with several of the river outfitters for winter trout fishing.
They also list the stocking dates and the special rules for different areas of the Guadalupe, below Canyon Dam.

Thank you
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

I'm also a lease member, but I usually just wade because it's less of a hassle. The only lease that I've launched from is Rio, but I took out there as well. I've always wanted to put in at Rio and float down to one of lower leases. Hope this helps.
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

Lane wrote:What are the best put in/take out spots on the Guadalupe below Canyon Lake for winter trout fishing? I am a GRTU member with lease access.
Depends. Do you mean best fishing, closest launch points ( one TPWD site I used is 100 yards and thru narrow walking path with grade), etc.? Will you be dropped off, use 2 cars, use a livery, or launch/return to same spot? What flow rate will you have, as low will mean more portaging and high inability to go up stream... How much solitude, as some sections might have pockets of wade fisherman that don't take well to kayak intrusions/pass thru? Sorry if you've done this before elsewhere, as you may already know about the above considerations.
Hope this helps.

PM
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

The float from Canyon Dam down to Rio (4th Xing) is a full day at a flow between 50-100 cfs . Right now the release is 528 cfs and that's too quick to kayak and feel like you're hitting it good. A flow of 150-200 is perfect with no dragging, less than that and you'll drag in some spots and around the Horseshoe it gets slow and stagnant. The drag down from the parking area at the dam isn't too bad, about 100 yards with grass alongside a stair case and about a 40 yard concrete/rock path. Most of the guides are putting in at Rio and floating down to about 3rd Xing.

Release from Canyon should be throttled back pretty dang soon as the lake is at 908.99' and conservation level is 909.00'. Inflow is about 100 cfs.
Lane

Post by Lane »

jhb wrote:The float from Canyon Dam down to Rio (4th Xing) is a full day at a flow between 50-100 cfs . Right now the release is 528 cfs and that's too quick to kayak and feel like you're hitting it good. A flow of 150-200 is perfect with no dragging, less than that and you'll drag in some spots and around the Horseshoe it gets slow and stagnant. The drag down from the parking area at the dam isn't too bad, about 100 yards with grass alongside a stair case and about a 40 yard concrete/rock path. Most of the guides are putting in at Rio and floating down to about 3rd Xing.

Release from Canyon should be throttled back pretty dang soon as the lake is at 908.99' and conservation level is 909.00'. Inflow is about 100 cfs.
Thanks. I was thinking of doing Rio too because they'll do pickup. And I know the flow is a bit high right now, but I was thinking of doing a trip in 1-2 weeks, and fly/spin fishing for rainbows.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Call Rio ahead of time, they don't always do pickups/shuttles during the winter.

Check here for streamflows by county (Comal) and here for Canyon Lake release flow rate.
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

jhb wrote:The float from Canyon Dam down to Rio (4th Xing) is a full day at a flow between 50-100 cfs . Right now the release is 528 cfs and that's too quick to kayak and feel like you're hitting it good. A flow of 150-200 is perfect with no dragging, less than that and you'll drag in some spots and around the Horseshoe it gets slow and stagnant. The drag down from the parking area at the dam isn't too bad, about 100 yards with grass alongside a stair case and about a 40 yard concrete/rock path. Most of the guides are putting in at Rio and floating down to about 3rd Xing.

Thanks for that good info, jhb. The flow is setting up nicely, just as you indicated it might drop. GRTU graph shows around 150 flow. Can Horseshoe be run at 150, or does one still portage and drag on the left?

PM
Zackthefisherman

The flow is awesome right now. To bad they'll be dropping it soon. Also, be sure to use extra caution while wading. I waded a normally easy stretch this afternoon, and the flood messed it up. There are new rocks and holes everywhere, and the bottom is super slippery. I will admit that I even took a spill, but luckily I was in shallow water. So be careful out there and good luck.
Kayak buddy

Post by Kayak buddy »

When finals are done I'll float the Guadalupe with someone and park down stream. Message me.
NewJeep

Post by NewJeep »

Let me know when someone wants to go. I want to do a fly fishing trip down the river. I wish they would release some in Northern Guad!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I'm about ready to hit it also, so let's all just message each other when we have the time to go...

pontoonman at 150 cfs the Horseshoe is definitely doable. The bottom of the horseshoe slows down and you'll have to paddle some unless you don't mind the whole horseshoe taking up 2 hours but I prefer it below the shoe.
NewJeep

Post by NewJeep »

I think I am going to do a fly trip for trout this week if I can manage a day out of the office.
Otto_08

Post by Otto_08 »

I'm planning a trip Dec 11 - 13th. Would like to meet up with a few TKF'ers and get into some rainbows.
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

Rain situation looks unstable over the next 2 weeks or so. For example the flow below the dam has again been increased to over 600 due to the recent rains. Here is a place to get a very current flow almost to an hourly basis: https://www.grtu.org/flow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (both above and below Canyon lake). High water temperature is bad for trout, and most of the trout from various State location stockings are dead within a week or so because they can't adapt to higher temperatures (decreased oxygen), shock, and finding scarcer food for themselves- instead of being fed corn( JMHO-gathered from many trips). The water is considerably colder below the dam, so there is a much better survival rate than the river above the lake, Blanco or various ponds. But rain below the dam warms the water and hurts the survival rate- so GRTU stockings have been postponed this Winter, probably until the rain probability decreases for a longer stretch. Also just a heads up that the trophy zone with extremely restrictive regulations now starts about 1000 yards below the dam :!:

Hope this helps.

PM

PS: Thanks jhb!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Check this page for the Special Trout Zones regulations.

Canyon Dam -> 800 yards (just past the intersection of Cadillac Canyon Dr and Rocky River St) there are no 'special regulation.' Bag limit of 5 trout (brown + rainbow) with no length requirement.

800 yards downstream of dam to East FM 306 bridge (downstream bridge, closest to I-35/CofNB) is a 'special regulation zone' with a slot block. 5 trout may be kept, caught on artificial lures only. Trout between 12-18" may not be retained and only one trout above 18" may be retained per day.

Downstream of East FM 306 bridge to 2nd Xing on River Rd (by River Rd. Camp, 2nd Xing Camp and Roy's) is a different 'special regulation zone' where only one trout over 18" may be retained and caught on artificials only.

Downstream of 2nd Xing reverts back to the 5/day of any length and no bait restrictions.

Hope this helps clear the air a little.
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

Thanks for the useful link jhb. I only do artificial lure catch and release, and rarely go to the Guad lower sections anymore, so didn't know the details. I forgot to include the trophy area is marked at the 2 ends with signs, as are the other restrictive areas. A kayak starting from the dam and going thru would see the signs, but individuals would not be aware if they launch/fish or wade to fish only between signs. Lots of room for misunderstanding, if someone keeps legal trout from outside the zones and then moves into the zone area. If I change my mind and decide to keep trout, I would take a picture of it on location, as there already have been a few minor disputes on legal trout. Sorry about the negative stuff, just thought folks should be aware.

I will probably be upriver stalking the white bass run this Winter, unless it turns out to be a bad season.

PM
Lane

Post by Lane »

I'm also a pure artificial lure / catch and release guy (fly fisherman, in fact). I'm looking, weather permitting, at a trip on the 12th or 19th. I can bring the yak or the waders, whichever is looking more likely to get me to the fish.

If anyone isn't a fly fisher and wants to try, I'll bring along multiple fly rods. I'm not the best caster in the world, but you don't have to be to catch on the Guad. I'll be happy to show anyone the ropes.

You can send me a PM or shoot me an e-mail at lane at haygoodlawfirm dot com.
Datchew

Post by Datchew »

I'm in Cibolo and i've been itching for the CFM to drop down so I can get out there.
I'm in if a few folks are going.
I've also got a roof rack and a yakima trailer so I can help take at least 2 other kayaks out/in etc.

JHB - you have my cell. Others can PM me.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Will do Datchew! In my experience waders and the kayak are best! I wear my waders and when I get to promising areas I get out of my yak to post up. It also helps to have a yak when you've got a stretch of flyfishermen, it's really easy to get out of casting distance and float by quickly. I'm tied up this weekend, but surely the next I can get out one of the days.
Datchew

Post by Datchew »

Cool.
I'll bring my waders along and you can show me how to do it.
Don Elledge

Post by Don Elledge »

Looking to make a trip Dec 28 -30. Fishing the river at Guadalupe river state park and below Canyon damn. This is my first trip down there and looking for any advice. Fly and spinning hear kayak and waders.
conagher

Post by conagher »

Don Elledge wrote:Looking to make a trip Dec 28 -30. Fishing the river at Guadalupe river state park and below Canyon damn. This is my first trip down there and looking for any advice. Fly and spinning hear kayak and waders.
We're looking for the same information. Our plan is from Dec 22- 28 at the state park below the dam. Since we are alone with no family close we thought it would be a fun Christmas for the two of us. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks David
Zackthefisherman

[/quote] Our plan is from Dec 22- 28 at the state park below the dam.[/quote]

First off the state park isn't below the dam; its well above Canyon Lake. Just a heads up so you know what to expect. As for fishing the state park, I've never fished there so I can't help you on that. Here's a link to a similar topic from a while back.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 2&t=230319

Also before heading out to the Guadalupe I recommend checking out this website. I'm not affiliated with this guide he just shares some great info on his site.
http://www.castellguideservice.com/

Good luck if you have any questions feel free to ask.