Off-Season Routines ????

MagicYaker

Off-Season Routines ????

Post by MagicYaker »

With the colder weather the fishing slows down for me. I am not a big hunter so I tend to fish when I can weather permitting. There are some things I do in these months that keep me in the "fishing" mind-set.

http://www.eposeidon.com/blog/master-ba ... ke-system/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What are some other useful tips that you do?
MagicYaker

Re: Off-Season Routines ????

Post by MagicYaker »

Summary for those"Visual Learners"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC1hYIM ... h3SyAd8L0Q" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SA_Chris

Post by SA_Chris »

Nice post. Around here, I find there is no off-season, though. Therefore, my tackle never gets organized, reels never get maintenance, etc. None of that stuff I used to do over the winter up North. This winter I plan on fishing a bunch for trout, making a trip or 2 to the coast as well as still fishing for bass when the opportunity arises.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

SA_Chris wrote:Nice post. Around here, I find there is no off-season, though. Therefore, my tackle never gets organized, reels never get maintenance, etc. None of that stuff I used to do over the winter up North. This winter I plan on fishing a bunch for trout, making a trip or 2 to the coast as well as still fishing for bass when the opportunity arises.

I hear ya! It does get slow for me as I mainly fish fresh water. Thx for response.
Zackthefisherman

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Last winter I bass fished the Guadalupe and Comal rivers and had pretty good luck. On the Comal river the fishing was especially good because it's a tiny spring fed river and stays warm all year around. On the guadalupe it was a lot colder so I just fished deeper and slower and it seemed to work. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure if you fish deeper and slower you can probably catch bass through winter. You just need to pick your days good, wear warm clothing and most importantly stay safe. This winter I'm going to try my luck fly fishing for trout on the guad but I'll still go after bass every once in a while. Like I said I'm not an expert but the fish still have to eat when it's cold, so if you change your tactics and are willing to brave the cold you can still get them.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Zackthefisherman wrote:Last winter I bass fished the Guadalupe and Comal rivers and had pretty good luck. On the Comal river the fishing was especially good because it's a tiny spring fed river and stays warm all year around. On the guadalupe it was a lot colder so I just fished deeper and slower and it seemed to work. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure if you fish deeper and slower you can probably catch bass through winter. You just need to pick your days good, wear warm clothing and most importantly stay safe. This winter I'm going to try my luck fly fishing for trout on the guad but I'll still go after bass every once in a while. Like I said I'm not an expert but the fish still have to eat when it's cold, so if you change your tactics and are willing to brave the cold you can still get them.

Thanks for the info. I too slow down not only going fishing but when I fish like you mentioned. Target deeper water with slow retrieve.
pontoonman

Post by pontoonman »

Good info, Zack.

I find certain types of fishing can sometimes be better in cold weather, like Guad trout below Canyon and white bass/striper/crappie runs above Canyon.

I also pick the days carefully, only go out when sun shines and wind is low with temperatures down to the low 50's and higher. Easy to stay warm if you keep your body above and out of the water, even though the water may be warmer you may have a wind chill when wet.

Rivers around the hill country are generally safer and more protected than open water lakes especially since the drought. Except if you are caught in a flash flood which usually doesn't happen with the sun shining...

PM

Zackthefisherman wrote:Last winter I bass fished the Guadalupe and Comal rivers and had pretty good luck. On the Comal river the fishing was especially good because it's a tiny spring fed river and stays warm all year around. On the guadalupe it was a lot colder so I just fished deeper and slower and it seemed to work. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure if you fish deeper and slower you can probably catch bass through winter. You just need to pick your days good, wear warm clothing and most importantly stay safe. This winter I'm going to try my luck fly fishing for trout on the guad but I'll still go after bass every once in a while. Like I said I'm not an expert but the fish still have to eat when it's cold, so if you change your tactics and are willing to brave the cold you can still get them.
MagicYaker

Post by MagicYaker »

Thx pontoonman!
DataHawk

Post by DataHawk »

Crappie, blues and flatheads starting to bite now that the weather has gotten colder.
Heatstroke

Post by Heatstroke »

I'm not sure I have an off season. There is always some kind of fish to chase throughout the year...
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Same here. I work all the time and regardless of the season if I get free time I go fishing! 8)
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

I head to Falcon for a week or three in January and them up to Amistad for another week or three in Feb then back to Rockport in late Feb. when smacks and others break loose. December is my slack month when I get to fish the surf at Mustang Island and PINS. November this year has been great for trout and flounder here in Rockport for me. Never a slack moment it seems to me.