Brazos river below possum kingdom

Texas Aggie '14

Brazos river below possum kingdom

Post by Texas Aggie '14 »

Cross posted this in the camping forum, but I'm not getting much action

I'm finally planning one of my bucket list trips. (Using a friends bachelor weekend as my excuse)
I've read a lot of good things about the brazos river below PK and this will be my first overnighter in a kayak. It will also be the first time my two friends try kayak fishing. So far what i have planned is staying in a cabin on PK friday night then hitting the water first thing saturday morning. I know there's a lot of wisdom on this forum and I'd love to learn from y'all.

What I'm looking for is advice on how to pack for this trip. I'll have a ride 135 and two pecador 12's. Also would like some tips on where to camp, expected duration of trip (from dam to rochelles), and what flies and lures to use.

Thanks in advance!
t100

Re: Brazos river below possum kingdom

Post by t100 »

Haven't been on the Brazos yet, as far as what to pack? I'd have a water filter of some sort to start. A decent cooler to hold beverages and fresh foods. Yall can have awesome breakfast tacos on Sunday morning....break the eggs into a nalagene bottle. Unpackage your meals and put into ziplocks. I like to make chili Mac. Pre-pack the milk and butter in a sealed Tupperware or something of the like. Pack your kayak before the trip to make sure everything fits. My first overnight, I stuffed the kitchen sink into my tarpon 100. Was not fun. Load the weight evenly. Repack the kayak seeng what you actually need.
As one of my friends always tells me, "dude we are only going to be gone for 36 hours"!
Hope this helps. Look through the different camping reports. As far as what baits to use? I'd bring a assortment according to water color.
Tight lines and enjoy the trip!
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Balance the load between the 3 kayaks. Heaviest ice chest in the Ride tank well, another ice chest in one of the other tank wells. Divide the weight of food and drinks between the 2. Everyone will have their own small bag of clothes and personal stuff on their own kayak that should fit into the hatches. Tents can be stowed in the other kayak tank well that is not carrying an Ice Chest, or strapped to the front of the kayaks . Stow what you can inside the hulls i.e. flashlights, toilet paper in an empty coffee can, cookware, plates and eating utensils, water filter, first aid kit, extra rope, matches, soap, tarp, lantern, extra fuel for stove and lantern, towels, Take a small Burner type stove to cook on, etc.. Alternatively, this stuff can be fit into a large box or extra ice chest in the extra tankwell. Everyone carries their own sleeping bags and pads. Dry bags are great for these. strap them into the tankwell or on top of the front hatch. One Plano box each of lures. This is how we do it. Like said, lay it all out before you go and only take what you really need.

If your friends are new to kayaking, make sure you strap everything down and instruct them not to try to turn around and reach into the rear tankwell, or to get their heads out of the boat. Teach them to sit side saddle to reach into the back or beach the boat before doing so. Those Tarpon 120's and Perception Pescador 12's can be a bit tippy until they get used to them. You don't want your gear getting soaked. Also make sure everyone wears their PFD. It will make getting back into the boat easier if they do tip over or fall out.

What lures you take depends on the species you are targeting. For Smallies, whites and panfish, try plastic jigs and spinners. For Catfish, use dough bait. I always take 2 rod set-ups per person just in case one gets lost or breaks. Plastic worms or H&H Spinners with skirts for Largemouth and Smallies.

Don't forget to take garbage bags and pack out what you take in :D
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

On my Pescador 12, I use empty plastic 1 qt. mayo jars for my "Dry Bags". They will hold credit cards, keys, cell phones, and other small items like T. Paper, etc. I drill a small hole for a piece of 1/8" cord in the lid, and seal the cord entrance with silicone sealer. I can put several of these, with different length cords down thru the small round hatch in front of the seat. I tie them into something in the cockpit. It helps to use different color cord, or mark them with different rings, like one ring, two rings, etc. so you can pull out the container you want. Waterproof, and cheap.

Have a great trip and catch 'em up!

TexasJim
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

Experience is always the best teacher. Your first kayak camping trip will reveal what you don't need and what you do need. Putting some thought into your packing plan is wise. Many folks have a packing list to help them remember what to bring. If you make a list, its a great way to sort out the luxuries and essentials. Packing advice can be as unique as the individuals that give it. Folks camp in tents, under tarps, and beneath the stars. They sleep in hammocks, on the ground, sleeping pads, air matresses, cots, and chairs. They eat everything from granola bars to gourmet meals and drink everything from water to wine. My advice is to make your list and compare it with the others in your group. You can save weight and space by avoiding duplications in equipment, choosing the smallest and lightest equipment, and using multipurpose items. I use a metal cup for making instant oatmeal and coffee. I prefer the metal beacuse I can set it by the fire to keep my coffee warm. I used a sit inside kayak on my first river camping trip, so I made a "trial run" at packing everything the night before, so I could be sure it would fit and avoid making a last minute decision on the river if my gear didn't fit. The heaviest thing I usually take is water, so it's good to know how much is enough. A water purifying pump is an option that can allow you to take less water if a clean source is available. You can also boil water from the river for cooking and save your clean water for drinking. I minimize the water weight in food by packing dehydrated Mountain House entrees, instant coffee, instant oatmeal and other dry goods. I really have no desire to be cooking after a long day of kayakfishing. I'm happy to simply boil water and add it to the dehydrated food. Last camping trip I brought a lightweight sleeping bag and discovered I really need a heavier one. Next time I will either bring the warmer sleeping bag or some warmer clothes to put on. I've attached a copy of my packing list in excel format. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable time on the river.
Attachments
Packing List.xls
(35 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
on a mission
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by on a mission »

fishr3 wrote:Experience is always the best teacher. Your first kayak camping trip will reveal what you don't need and what you do need. Putting some thought into your packing plan is wise. Many folks have a packing list to help them remember what to bring. If you make a list, its a great way to sort out the luxuries and essentials. Packing advice can be as unique as the individuals that give it. Folks camp in tents, under tarps, and beneath the stars. They sleep in hammocks, on the ground, sleeping pads, air matresses, cots, and chairs. They eat everything from granola bars to gourmet meals and drink everything from water to wine. My advice is to make your list and compare it with the others in your group. You can save weight and space by avoiding duplications in equipment, choosing the smallest and lightest equipment, and using multipurpose items. I use a metal cup for making instant oatmeal and coffee. I prefer the metal beacuse I can set it by the fire to keep my coffee warm. I used a sit inside kayak on my first river camping trip, so I made a "trial run" at packing everything the night before, so I could be sure it would fit and avoid making a last minute decision on the river if my gear didn't fit. The heaviest thing I usually take is water, so it's good to know how much is enough. A water purifying pump is an option that can allow you to take less water if a clean source is available. You can also boil water from the river for cooking and save your clean water for drinking. I minimize the water weight in food by packing dehydrated Mountain House entrees, instant coffee, instant oatmeal and other dry goods. I really have no desire to be cooking after a long day of kayakfishing. I'm happy to simply boil water and add it to the dehydrated food. Last camping trip I brought a lightweight sleeping bag and discovered I really need a heavier one. Next time I will either bring the warmer sleeping bag or some warmer clothes to put on. I've attached a copy of my packing list in excel format. Hope you have a safe and enjoyable time on the river.

No offense ,really. But, that is one long list on a river trip. Do you take a tow yak? Just wondering.
tomberry

Post by tomberry »

I have canoed the brazos at least yearly since I was a kid. This is a checklist of what I bring. Customize for your use. Watch the Flow rate from the brazos river authority. Anything under 120 cfs you will be dragging ALOT. I have hip waders for this purpose, particularly at this time of year and on. Fishing can be red hot or non existent. Most of the best fish I have caught are on the outside edge of the bends next to a cliff. I went in August and it was grueling, hot, and not a single bite. The weed has gotten out of control because of the drought and extended low flow rates. I usually bring along a couple buddies with their yaks.
Canoe trip
canoe
paddles
-food & drink
-steak, butter, energy drinks, water, beans, oatmeal, coffee, luchables, ice, off, salt&pepper, beer
camp box (includes all my cooking stuff, tp, etc)
tackle/bait
cap
gloves
whiskey
tent
Tarp
sleeping bags
Pillowcase
Cigarette lighter adapter
Motor and batteries
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

tomberry wrote:I have canoed the brazos at least yearly since I was a kid. This is a checklist of what I bring. Customize for your use. Watch the Flow rate from the brazos river authority. Anything under 120 cfs you will be dragging ALOT. I have hip waders for this purpose, particularly at this time of year and on. Fishing can be red hot or non existent. Most of the best fish I have caught are on the outside edge of the bends next to a cliff. I went in August and it was grueling, hot, and not a single bite. The weed has gotten out of control because of the drought and extended low flow rates. I usually bring along a couple buddies with their yaks.
Canoe trip
canoe
paddles
-food & drink
-steak, butter, energy drinks, water, beans, oatmeal, coffee, luchables, ice, off, salt&pepper, beer
camp box (includes all my cooking stuff, tp, etc)
tackle/bait
cap
gloves
whiskey
tent
Tarp
sleeping bags
Pillowcase
Cigarette lighter adapter
Motor and batteries
I'll paddle the boat with the whiskey , beer and steak and let you all do the fishin... :lol: seriously though you do have it down to a science. We usually have 2 large Ice chest for food and drink and then a camp box divided between 3 yaks. Everyone carries their own fishing gear, rain gear, bedding and bag of personal stuff ( like clothes, towel, off, flashlight and sunscreen) usually stored in the hatch. Everything else is in the Camp box (usually an empty ice chest) So Ice chests in the tankwells with bedding in dry bags strapped behind them and tent usually strapped to the front of one of the Yaks. I haven't paddled Brazos in years, but this worked well on the White in Arkansas. :D
fishr3

Post by fishr3 »

on a mission wrote:No offense ,really. But, that is one long list on a river trip. Do you take a tow yak? Just wondering.
I agree. My list is long, but I don't take everything on the list when kayak camping. I use the list to help me pack for kayak fishing day trips, overnight primitive camping on the river, or car camping in a state park. I pack based on where I go, what I'm paddling, the type of fishing, day trip or overnight, and if I'm going solo or with a group. I don't think I have ever packed everything on the list. The trick is to know what you don't really need and leave it at home. I print my one pager spreadsheet and check off the items I need and leave the rest behind. Too many "just in case" items adds unnecessary deadweight. I think someone has previously posted in the camping section on the topic of unused stuff we tend to pack. Lots of informative posts in the camping section that may be useful to the first time kayak camper.
daveg99
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by daveg99 »

http://texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/vi ... 2&t=160805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DesertYakker

Post by DesertYakker »

Just be aware that right now the Brazos is the lowest I have ever seen. The fishing wasn't great when I went last weekend and we did lots of dragging. Use a small chrome rattletrap below any small rapids you encounter and you should do well. Otherwise, we did ok on jigs and small spinners. At night, you can catch tons of gar and catfish right now. Be sure to take a cast net and there is baitfish everywhere. Cut bait works good too. It's just sad to see it so dang low. Be sure to have a pull rope to attach to the front of your yak and wear great water shoes. Let us know how you do, it's a beautiful place.
Texas Aggie '14

Post by Texas Aggie '14 »

Thanks for all the replies. Y'all have been extremely helpful. Hopefully I'll have a good report to post when we get back.