Duck hunting from a yak?

wilded

Post by wilded »

Around Rockport unless you know how to call well you will run off more ducks than you will call. Get some Pintail and Redhead decoys, two dozen is plenty, put em out and leave a 30 to 50 hole in the middle and wait. Don't use the typical mallard spread as you don't see mallards at Rockport except for blacks. If you are there at first shooting light and put out decoys they will come. Your gun will get wet. Take a waterproof guncase and only uncase once your decoys are set. Cover your gun with gun grease and clean as soon as you get back to your room. Do not take a heirloom or special gun to hunt in salt water. It will rust and no mater how good you clean it you will get rust. :D

PS: If you kill a black mallard or a tree duck have it mounted as they are special trophies.
patyak

Post by patyak »

Thanks for the info!
Nathan

Hunting ducks

Post by Nathan »

Hey guys who have hunted ducks from kayak- Do you always have a partner with you or have you ever hunted alone? Is it safe enough to try alone? Another question- How many ducks do you put out for decoys and which ones do you typically place- which species and how many varieties at a time? Thanks-Nathan
wilded

Post by wilded »

See my above post on decoys. :D
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

After you get your shells, decoys, camo gear, gun and yourself on the
kayak, where do you put your dog? Mine would never forgive me if I went hunting with out him.
Chip
wilded

Post by wilded »

That is what your lap is for. :D
Chip Pitcairn

Post by Chip Pitcairn »

My lap is reserved for my wife, the dog sits on her lap, and they all sit on me. Chip
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mellon »

LOL Chip
pretty much the same around here
throwinbowz

Post by throwinbowz »

Well I know yall don't want to give away any of your spots, but I live in Houston and would love to at least know where a good place to explore is. I know I could drive down to Rockport or any of the "ducky bays", but do any of yall hunt out of galveston?
Mellon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Mellon »

throwin - my buddy and I are going to paddle xmas bay and hunt/fish it this year. You will find us out there 9/13
Where do you live in copperfield? Looks like there are 3 of us here!
throwinbowz

Post by throwinbowz »

I live in Copperstone. Where are you at? Might have to meet ya down there on the 13th, as soon as I get some camo rigged up for the yak. Can't believe duck season is almost here :D